The airbox on EC300 2013 is terrible

Larsa

:mad:
I have hade have many bikes >10.
And the GasGas EC 2013 airbox is the worst design ever.
The air filter goes against the wall.
It is a lot corners and hard to clean.
On the side panels it is open hole you can see the air filter.
On the bottom it is a silly rubber hose to release water.
But it gets clogged after a few minutes drive.
The airbox on my bike has been dismantled.
It's almost impossible to take out the carburetor.
Even when I removed the tank I can't get the carburetor in or out.
Should it really be so hard to do the last bit of the airbox in soft rubber.:confused:
I really hope that GasGas have fixed this on 2014 or 2015?

Attachments

• 20141110_225949.jpg
    20141110_225949.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 174
  • 20141110_230004.jpg
    20141110_230004.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 167
  • 20141110_230320.jpg
    20141110_230320.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 162
  • 20141110_230957.jpg
    20141110_230957.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 158
  • 20141110_231224.jpg
    20141110_231224.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 161
Yours looks clean!! I agree that the design leads itself to get dirty quick, is a pain to clean, and I dislike that the bottom lip actually sits behind the front meaning any debris can drop into the airboot. I sealed mine up before ever riding, and modified the rubber duckbill to work a bit better. I have to drain it after any real deep crossing, but these same crossing have snuffed other bikes of all colours too.

While the design appears bad, it does work well.

This is mine after a 100km somewhat dusty loop. Breaking in a new engine.
P1020060_zpsed1d305b.jpg

P1020061_zps025336cb.jpg

The holder I think seemed fine. But yes the hard plastic on the 12 made hard to remove the carb. The air box lid bolts were stripped from when my bike was new. And the magazine said he christini bike with the gas gas engine ran better then the gasser itself because the air box itself was restrictive. I presume due to the fact they had planned in the quick change filter??? Bike itself was pretty nice

I don't know. I've had other bikes with dirty air boxes, and honestly, you need air to make power. That said, I did seal up the seams on mine that face the fender area. Other than that, it's not a big deal to change an air filter. I have always carried spares on trips and usually swap filters after a day of riding anyway regardless of bike brand. Plus, the GasGas has that sweet quick release filter thingy!

I don't know. I've had other bikes with dirty air boxes, and honestly, you need air to make power. That said, I did seal up the seams on mine that face the fender area. Other than that, it's not a big deal to change an air filter. I have always carried spares on trips and usually swap filters after a day of riding anyway regardless of bike brand. Plus, the GasGas has that sweet quick release filter thingy!

Roger that Shang. I do a filter after every ride, and rinse the airbox along with the rest of the bike. The method in which the filter seals against the lip is almost fool proof compared to some others, well.. I've smashed mine through loads of water and bog holes with no issues, where at least 3 mates on another popular brand have had complete engine failure do to sludgey water and silt passing the filter and making its way into the engine.

I honestly think a quality air filter oil that repels water to a certain extent is also worth its weight in gold.

Roger that Shang. I do a filter after every ride, and rinse the airbox along with the rest of the bike. The method in which the filter seals against the lip is almost fool proof compared to some others, well.. I've smashed mine through loads of water and bog holes with no issues, where at least 3 mates on another popular brand have had complete engine failure do to sludgey water and silt passing the filter and making its way into the engine.

I honestly think a quality air filter oil that repels water to a certain extent is also worth its weight in gold.

I know the Belray filter oil has kept water out of my intake.

Second that on the Bel - Ray !

I love filter skins, with Bel Ray on them, water beads and runs off.

Back