The ongoing idleing saga .... 04 300 ec

Packman

Well i did a Enduroland event at a Quarry today and still running on same settings as when i got it a years ago.

Its never been that happy with ticking ove.r It sits there then peters out and stops that's unless you up the idle via the cable adjustment on the throttle.
The idle screw on the carb doesn't do a great deal.

Now on the steep drop off's it would cut out if no throttle was applied. Now the needle was on the 2nd clip so i put this on the 3rd clips and the air screw is 3 turns out. Its now a lot stronger off the throttle and it idles a bit better.

Its got a 178 main jet in there that's all i know so far this 2 stroke stuff is all new to me ....

What else do u guys suggest , im in the uk about sea level i would think.

What size pilot jet? Air screw at 3 turns out is ridiculous, should come in at 1-2 turns max, I'd check to see that it is still there as mine would vibrate out at 3 turns?.If 3 turns is close to right for the engine you need to go down 1-2 pilot sizes. Search for jetting lots of info on here from Jakobi the Jetting Wizard

Thanks for the reply Fred , ive got to wash it off tomorrow and then strip it and water proof it for the next event.

Will remove the carb and let you know .... is there a pic anywhere of what just is what jut wise ?

I would focus on the pilot. It may be clogged a bit or not the right size for your needs.

my riding buddy widebear discovered that the older gg's seemed to run a lot better with a bigger cut out in the carb slide. stock was a 7 or sometimes a 6, we went to #9 cutouts on the slide, and this solved 95% of the idleing issues on the gassers.

I personally would stay away from high cut-away slides. It maybe that you are masking a rich jet needle by using a 8 or #9 cut-away. I think you should be able to get a good idle with a #42 or #45 SJ and 1~2 turns out on the "air" screw. If this is too rich, try finding a leaner straight diameter JN. Before doing any of this jetting make sure the float is set properly and all passages are free from clogging. You might want to remove the jet block to check o-ring condition. I had o-ring glue in my idle port.

Right a bit of a update people ..... the air jet was blocked but he is whats in there ...

178 main

40 air

7 slide

Ive got a Boyston read block in the with a 5 mm spacer , one side of the Carbon reads is shut the other is open id say 20 thou ?????????

Back