The weigh in.. 200/250/300

I'll bet a new 250 weighs almost the same then. My '07, with all armor, damper, HD tubes, hand guards, and some misc bolt ons, weighs in at 252 lbs. with half a tank. Subtract a few lbs for the newer bike, and a couple more for additional protection my bike has, correct for fuel, and your close to the 241 number. The 200 feels lighter because it has less power.

Bike weights do not matter and should not be a reason to buy or not buy a bike. You pick an engine size for it's power characteristics.

Women lie about their weight all of the time. Does this mean that you would love them any less if you actually knew their true weight? Heck, even two women that appear to have the same 'engine' size can have much different weights. :D

MattR I think a bikes weight is important and can be a reason for not buying or keeping a bike. I wouldn't want a heavy 125-200 bike myself. Now if we are talking a few pounds between different brands for bikes of the same cc's that's another thing alltogether. I know different bikes "feel" heavier than others and some heavy bikes don't feel heavy when under way. For me a 125-200 should be lightweight and quick steering to allow the smaller engines to shine; jmho.

For me a 125-200 should be lightweight and quick steering to allow the smaller engines to shine; jmho.

I have both and the 200 doesn't feel much more sluggish than the 125. It feels the same chassis wise and rails nearly as well. Even to pick up my 200 feels much lighter than my 250 kato. Considering the gg200 is based off the larger chassis and engine you would think it would be on par with the 250 ktm, its not, feels much lighter to ride and pick up.

Thats good to hear noobi. I just sold my 2010 GG 300 and it sure feels a lot heavier than my 165 (125) Husky so I was thinking if the GG200 feels as heavy as my 300 I might as well get the GG250. Thanks for the feedback.

Hi, i found this topic in my search for information on the gas gas 200. Thanks Jakobi.

I have an interest in the 2012 200 but my focus is purely on handling characteristics associated with small bore bikes, crankshaft inertia and chassis tip in weight through tight tracks, corner speed and momentum.

I believe you can manipulate an engine but cant manipulate the physics associated with it.

So yes, these specs are very impotant to me, albiet very hard to get Cheers Craig

Edit, type of tracks i mostly ride for reference
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CGbe5H8zzM

Last edited:
When did coley become a super stud muffin? haha! Seen your vid before mate! This was created based on interest from your thread over on dbw.

Thanks to everyone else who has chimed in with the figures and the feedback particularly from those with the 200's. I'm still keen to see more numbers come up if anyone else feels like throwing bikes on scales.

..........Thanks to everyone else who has chimed in with the figures and the feedback particularly from those with the 200's. I'm still keen to see more numbers come up if anyone else feels like throwing bikes on scales.

I've got a 200 coming next week and can get some numbers and compare them with my 300

Is Spain where Voodoo started? My bike has Voodoo-JuJu. Anytime a non GG 2 stroke rider pushes it around, picks it up, or moves it in any way other than riding it, they comment on it feeling heavy compared to whatever they ride. If they just get on it and ride, they comment on how good it handles and how light it feels. I only feel the weight when I go back and forth from it to say, a KTM 200 or a 125. But the weight is a good thing to me. It turns just as easy, in fact better than most lighter bikes to me, and is so much better in rocks. It is much more stable and "planted" feeling while still turning easy and quick. If I rode in deep sand all the time I might like a lighter bike but in the technical rocks and hills and roots I ride in it is just the right weight for me.

Going back to the first pages regarding weighing bikes using bathroom scales, I think the easiest way is to take a 2x10 board, (or 12 or 16), that is longer than the wheelbase of the bike, weigh it on the scales and record that weight, then put the bike on top. Get a total figure and subtract the weight of the wood. On some scales you need to nail a couple of short 2x4s to the bottom of the long board to coincide with where your feet would go on the scale. I think this way is much more accurate and easier than weighing each end of the bike. It comes out to within 2 lbs every time I've done it. I used to have some bathroom scales that you could calibrate with a dial on top. I always used to use a 45lb weightlifting plate before I weighed a bike. If I ever see any of those old scales in a thrift shop or yardsale I'm getting another one.

I'm sure it's been mentioned but remember that things like steering dampers, heavy tubes/tires, different barkbuster setups, disc guards of various designs, tool bags attached to the bike, aftermarket headlights, big tanks, all add up or subtract from. It's not uncommon to have a set of tires and tubes that weigh quite a bit more or less. Pick up an HD dual sport or Desert racing tire, then an MX tire and you can feel the difference. The flex type handlebars also weigh more than regular bars, enough to feel it. It feels like at least 2 lbs to me.

My bikes always have at least 3 lbs of safety wire, Loctite, anti-seize, another 4 lbs of various glue such as Shoe Goo, superglue, Gorilla glue, and 8-10 lbs of duct tape here and there.

Of course everyone knows to let the air out of the tires for an accurate weight, but don't forget the air inside the handlebars, gas tank, crankcase, and all other things that can hold volumn. You must pull a vacumn on all those places before weighing.

Are the frames different on the GasGas 125/200s and the 250/300s ?

My 200KTM in an 07SX frame is quite a bit lighter than my 2013 250SX. They beef up the frame on the 250/300s. Plus my 250 has linkage which weighs at least 5 lbs more and maybe 8. 2013 250Sx 215 or 216 dry. KTM published and verified by MX Action.

Published weight on a KTM 125 is about 200lbs. I think they said the older 200s were at around 210. My 04 frame with the 144 motor is the lightest for sure. PDS.

Btw I did a little research on weighing each wheel on a scale because I didn't think it would be accurate and according to info it is pretty accurate.

Back