Throttle Cable Mishaps

carlg

Well here's a good newbie screwup for sure. I managed to break the angled piece that screws into the carb cap on my 01 300. I was putting the tank back on and wasn't paying attention and bent the piece. We all no what happened when I tried to bend it back,snap. Is it possible to desolder the cable and purchase the angled piece, or do you have to buy a new cable? I'm going to try the local dealer tomorrow as I couldn't find any illustrations at gofasters that would tell me if the piece is available. Any suggestions would be appreciated,thanks Carl.

I'm not sure about buying the broken piece, but if you end up getting a new cable get the 1.5" longer cable that GoFasters has.

my guess is your gonna need a new cable. from a saftey stand point that probsbly not a bad thing ....
hmmm I might actually have an older stock throttle cable hanging around from my 06 300. don't know if it will work on your 01 ....

Hi Carl,
Since that used to be my bike I know that this was a heavy duty aftermarket cable that LTR was selling a few years back. He no longer stocks them.

Per eff's advice, I would go with the longer cable available from gofasters.

If you are in a pinch - a KTM cable might be made to work - not sure.

I have heard of someone getting a honda cable to work by trimming the outer liner down a bit...

Jeff
Webmaster
GasGas Riders Club

Another issue that you will need to resolve when you switch to a new throttle cable - the "barrel" in the carb was replaced by the steel part that you accidentally damaged. I have no idea where this is... If the Gofasters cable needs this barrel (the threaded adjuster that screws into the top of the carb) - then you will need to round up another one of these.

Jeff

Don't screw around, get a new longer Motion Pro cable from GoFasters. Stuck throttles on 300cc bikes hurt and are expensive, ask me how I know.:eek:

For the ferrule, lock nut, and boot on top of the carb, most PWKs on other bikes have them. KTMs, older KXs, etc. so you can try those dealers near you. Other than that its Carb Parts Warehouse if GoFasters doesn't have one.

Results

I went ahead and ordered the cable from gofasters and they will ship it out on Monday. I wasn't able to find anything locally so I went online. I guess that I'll have to deal with the barrel issue when I get the cable. If necessary I'll see if I can purchase one or if necessary throw something together at work. I must admit that I'm learning that parts for these bikes while available, aren't as easy to come by. Hope to have it back together by next weekend to go try out the new trials tire. Thanks for all the help,Carl.

The guy I bought my GG off had a longer cable plus a rekluse and either a left hand rear brake or the clutch cannot disconnect the rekluse at high rpm.

Anyway he was riding through some woodland and a branch snagged his throttle cable, he couldn't pull the clutch and shot off into a tree at high speed and then paid a visit to Mr Hospital.

So if you're getting longer cables make sure they don't stick out anywhere near the handle bar that could get caught by a branch!

I get the longer cables so I can route them better to keep them from getting snagged.. The KTMs are very short and the cables are very exposed to getting snagged and its common for those who have camelbak hyd systems with the 90% spout to catch on the cable.. I run my cable tucked away and ziptyed in place.. also safetywire it to the throttle housing.. overkill maybe,, but after the crash I had I take no chances with the trottle cable..

Back