Unique starter fail, seeking advice

The shaft is actually about 1mm shorter overall but the distance from the top of the drive gear to the keeper on the bottom is longer.

So you just need to relieve the top housing for the thicker gear? That sounds like the perfect fix. How did you order it? Do they have an online store, or did you have to call them?

So you just need to relieve the top housing for the thicker gear? That sounds like the perfect fix. How did you order it? Do they have an online store, or did you have to call them?

Yep, about 10 minutes with the dremel.

http://www.dbelectrical.com/

These guys a great. The nice thing is now if the bendix fails it is a simple change out for $22. I'm going to order a couple more to have in stock.

I should be getting my bendix within a week, got my Dremel kit ready for the mod!
Thanks for figuring this one out pigpen! I'll report back with my results

Ordered mine on Tuesday and got it today. DB wanted 49.00 but found it at OMB Warehouse for 25.00. I may machine the gear down verses grinding the housing down.

Ended up pressing my old top gear off and installing on the new bendix. Starter works great now.

Attachments

• IMG_4228.jpg
    IMG_4228.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 84
Interesting that the gear on the left has a small detent to match the pin on the housing. Which way is the photo? Stock unit on the left, new unit with old gear on the right?

New unit is on the right. Both gears had the same detent, little tricky to get lined up.
Tried the e-start about a dozen times with no misses.

Ok, I just finished installing my 5009 bendix.

I pretty much did the same mod as pigpen, took a little off the bottom end of the shaft, and clearanced 1mm or so out of the inside of the cover. Took me about 10 minutes with a dremel. It works like a charm!
Now that I have done the mod, the 5009's will pop right in if I ever have an issue with this one.

Thanks for doing the leg work on this one pigpen!

Well......
Midweek ride last Wednesday cut short due to bendix seeming to not disengage fully.
Due to over greasing.
So bendix out and cleaned. Quick blast round the block and not happy with "tinkling" noise.
Tonight took off side cover to find dirty grease full of swarf / filings.
Turns out centre locking nut on stator? Had come loose, could loosen by hand.
Ring gear has been rocking back and forth!
So....
Can I buy the 'outer' of the stator only, or the whole lot?.
Presume I need to also buy puller?
I also presume there is a key way on the shaft so straight off and replace
With no need for timing tweaks ?
Will post pics soon
Ta

image.jpg3_zpsue9cslva.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
image.jpg2_zps3gxbap0x.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
image.jpg1_zpsyrubyzig.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Well......
Midweek ride last Wednesday cut short due to bendix seeming to not disengage fully.
Due to over greasing.
So bendix out and cleaned. Quick blast round the block and not happy with "tinkling" noise.
Tonight took off side cover to find dirty grease full of swarf / filings.
Turns out centre locking nut on stator? Had come loose, could loosen by hand.
Ring gear has been rocking back and forth!
So....
Can I buy the 'outer' of the stator only, or the whole lot?.
Presume I need to also buy puller?
I also presume there is a key way on the shaft so straight off and replace
With no need for timing tweaks ?
Will post pics soon
Ta

You could have some problems. It looks like the ring gear has been rotating back and forth a lot. It has hammered the rivets that are part of the flywheel.

If you remove the nut, you should be able to lift off the gear and clean the rivets. At the same time check to see if the flywheel is loose. The crankshaft taper could still be holding the flywheel on OK since the bike runs. A loose flywheel will usually shear the key off and the bike stops running.

The ring gear has to be snug on the rivets. You may need a new flywheel, ring gear and bendix to get everything back in shape.

That is a different design than my 2014. My ring gear is secured to the flywheel with small bolts. I know because they came loose one day on the trail... may have been the start of my bendix problems.

One thing I noticed about my 5009 bendix is the pinion can freewheel in reverse, which I don't think the GG bendix does. This could be a problem saver if / when the bendix doesn't release quick enough.

Just checked both bendix and they both freewheel in reverse
Anyone know of a crossover flywheel?
Ta

Well, my success was short lived....
Yesterday I lost a few teeth on my ring gear, bendix is fine. There could have been some damage from previous bendix failures, who knows. I posted a WTB ad, but if anyone has a line on a ring gear let me know please!

Thanks, Dan

Last edited:
Well, my success was short lived....
Yesterday I lost a few teeth on my ring gear, bendix is fine. There could have been some damage from previous bendix failures, who knows. I posted a WTB ad, but if anyone has a line on a ring gear let me know please!

Thanks, Dan

Rotate the ring gear a rivet or two on the stator, as the crank typically stops in the same position each time, therefore the starter usually engages in the same place every time. It might work well enough to help you bridge to the replacement ring gear.

Rotate the ring gear a rivet or two on the stator, as the crank typically stops in the same position each time, therefore the starter usually engages in the same place every time. It might work well enough to help you bridge to the replacement ring gear.

Yeah I dont want to risk breaking anything else.. ill just kick it for now. that ign pickup is pretty exposed in there. Thanks for the idea though!

I have two teeth missing out of my ring gear and have no problems. I looked into replacing but the gear was pretty expensive.

Mine has 3 missing, and the teeth on either side of the gap are shady looking. I'll look into spinning the ring gear as you guys suggest, but the 14 ring mounts to the flywheel with three small bolts so I only have 1/3 turn increments to play with.

Just started calling around for a new ring gear, or "ignition sprocket" as it's referred to in the parts fiche's.
I had heard so much about Gofasters, it was the first call I made... I was told they do not sell to consumers and Halls Cycle would be my best bet. Strange that I had read so many positive threads about Gofasters as a parts source (or maybe I read wrong). Anyways, Halls isn't open on mondays so tomorrow I'll call and see what kind of availability there is.

Just started calling around for a new ring gear, or "ignition sprocket" as it's referred to in the parts fiche's.
I had heard so much about Gofasters, it was the first call I made... I was told they do not sell to consumers and Halls Cycle would be my best bet. Strange that I had read so many positive threads about Gofasters as a parts source (or maybe I read wrong). Anyways, Halls isn't open on mondays so tomorrow I'll call and see what kind of availability there is.

Gofasters was the US importer/distributor/go-to for all things GasGas, but the recent realignment of the US distro policy moved GF to US Parts distributor with dealers performing customer sales. Therefore, GF doesn't sell direct to consumers as GG North America wanted to get the dealers back into the parts pipeline.

Does that make sense?

Back