what kind of hydration system would you reccomend and why?

dank

hey im stocking up gear for my first year of riding, and im wondering what you guys use for hydration systems, and what you would suggest. price is an issue, but does not outweigh function.
any advice is appreciated!

For simplicity and if you can find one, the MSR Hydro Cell Race, not much room for other than a bladder, but if you only want to have fluids, it works. Mine came with only a 70oz bladder, but I have been using a 100oz bladder for years and it fits well. Also, a couple power bars, Skoal, car keys, and cell phone also fit in the compartment. It does not have shoulder straps, only loops to zip tie to chest protector. FWIW.

i was actually looking at the platypus system. its a clean bladder with a 2nd bladder with a filter in between. so i can get more water from a stream on the ride. its a touch on the spendy side over say a camelback, but thats what im thinkin right now, unless i find something better. im just curious as to what other people are using and why. that one is a bladder and a chest protector in one right? you cant get it seperate?

or, it is a little more bulky, but my brother is in the army, and has a large back pack that has a very large bladder inside. i dont remember how much it costs, but he absolutely loves the thing. im worried that it will be really big and awkward though

thing is, i have a chest protector, i do not have 250 bucks to go to a hydro pack. looking for something that around the 100ish mark, doesn't need to be perfect, just needs to be relatively easy to maintain and robust.

Fly Racing makes a chest protector/hydration system/backpack much like the ZacSpeed. I bought one because I was actually at the dealer looking for the Zac, and a price on it. He had this in stock, told me he has sold the heck out of them and had good reports back from customers. I bought it. $129 retail, and it's the best solution I've ever used. It is light feeling (even though it's not), carries itself well on your body, and has great freedom of movement. I highly recommend it.

Go Fly.

how big was the resovoir? and what's your opinion on just a pack, without a chest protector? might be cheaper.

The kriega ones are very nice,, I have a regular Hydrapak,, which is the bladder the kriega uses,, no odd taste and you can turn them inside out for very efficient cleaning.. lasts a long time.. I like the kriega bags better than the current hydrapak bags,, and there is a ooglia line that uses the same bladder,, I got the name wrong,, but its close,, Its the same as the KTM ones but no ktm on it,, cycle gear sells them..

i also looked at a thor pack, not sure which one, but it had a 3 liter bladder, and had extra space for stuff, and it was goin for 70 on oemcycle. any expierence with those?

The fly reservior is 70 ounces. Standard size like a Camelback.

For me, I like to have a chest protector. Branches, rocks flying off of tires in front of you, just junk that ends up slapping you in the chest and shoulders makes it worth it. I know lots of guys who run without one, but I'm not that tough.

i have a thor quadrant chest protector. fits good too, and does the job well. just need a hydro pack.

Back