Wicked YZ250

gasgasman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's what a 2013 YZ250 could be...

IMG_1223.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

http://twostrokemotocross.com/2012/11/tci-performance-project-yz-250r-details-and-gallery/

Thats nice , i was looking at a similar conversion and by all accounts its an easy one to do , but would that be any better than my 12 ec300 for enduro and trail riding , the cool factor would be good though:D

Thats really nice. I like YZ250s. For harescrambles they are very effective, bulletproof, and cheap. For more technical riding less so mainly due to the transmission.

Maybe when people finally say enough is enough to the 4stroke and its ridiculous operational costs, the Japaneese will wake up, and offer something like this with an updated 6 speed motor, hydro clutch, etc. It may just push KTM sales back into the exotics column.

That is a killer bike..... I agree with GMP!!!!! By the way, I sure love my YZ125 in the woods, being that it has a 6 speed tranny sure is nice:D

Service Honda (AF500 fame) has a YZ300 kitted bike for around 7K brand new! Eric Gore kit.......

Even the current YZ250 is a good handling bike. That fact that its still basically an '05 shows how good it actually was when released. If Yamaha would build a new off roader like that, and I could get along with it, I'd buy one. XYZ250 anyone?:D

I should get a fair amount of time on a YZ125 next year as Ill be setting one up for my son's friend.

Looks like the new plastic kit from UFO with some nice graphics on it.

It would be nice if Yamaha stepped up with an enduro version of the yz250. Maybe a YZ250X?

Looks like the new plastic kit from UFO with some nice graphics on it.

It would be nice if Yamaha stepped up with an enduro version of the yz250. Maybe a YZ250X?

A little more than that really - its the new-style YZF frame with the reliefs on the back side of the spars. Try to keep up ;)

That is by far the best looking Yamaha I have ever seen..... :cool:. So what is it, a YZ 2-stroke engine in the new 4-stroke frame? Who put that together?

The trick is to get the motor in the right position, a few mm make a difference. I wonder how much actual engineering went into this, and was the position optimised or compromised with what was available as far as space in the stock cradle?

I rode that bike in the link, and it was not a good handling bike. It may have been the suspension was not set up correctly or what not, but that's comparing it to a GasGas too! I can see that the motor maybe was too far back for its own good leaving it really light up front.

A few questions. Is the thumper frame lighter? Stiffer? Ie why is it better? It seems to me the thumper motor is larger and thus the frame is pushed out to the perimeter a bit more then the 2t frame.
FYI there is one for sale on western slope Craigslist in Colorado. That's all I know about it.

Back