Will a 500cc Two Stroke Engine fit in an 2011 GasGas Frame

I had a 1995 CR500 for a short time and except on big hills I hated that thing in the woods. It's way too tight around here for that much power.

Sounds like a fun project though, good luck if you try it.

I can't help but wonder how well a modern big bore two stroke would sell in today's market. Based on the sheer number of chassis conversions (like this one) and Service Honda/Kawasaki's business of selling their AF bikes, I tend to think they'd do quite well. I believe there is a niche for this type of bike. I know for me personally, if somebody made a 350cc+ enduro trimmed smoker (with a real wide ratio transmission), it'd probably be my next bike. Would I be able to ride it faster than my current 300 in the technical stuff?...probably not but it would sure be fun to wax all the big valve chompers when things open up!

With the growing popularity of the timbersleds on dirtbikes I would think a big bore 2-stroke with e-start and fuel injection would go over good. I havn't ever rode a bike with a timbersled added to it but I guess it is a lot of fun.

I rode a water cooled Husky 500 in the woods for many years and loved the engine. It had manageable 250 power until 3/4 power, then it went.... lets say, nonlinear. You really needed to consider what was ahead of you and behind you when you reved it out. It would throw amazing roosts and 75mph power wheelies are a rush! :eek:

I rode a water cooled Husky 500 in the woods for many years and loved the engine. It had manageable 250 power until 3/4 power, then it went.... lets say, nonlinear. You really needed to consider what was ahead of you and behind you when you reved it out. It would throw amazing roosts and 75mph power wheelies are a rush! :eek:

I raced hare scrambles on a 1996 CR 500 for a long time. It was a blast! Yes, you need to mentally stay ahead of your throttle application, long straights suddenly became very short!:D They are just amazing machines.....:)But nothing that I have ridden turns like a GasGas.

Agreed! I finally sold the Husky XC500 to get my GG and while I still miss the blindy speed, I am very happy.

Got both bikes and thought about swapping my cr engine while I rebuild the gg lump, first issue the head cant be turned round do to the head stud patern and that mount would hit the tank and think the tank it to big
The engine mounts look to be the same but ive never offered them up.
If uou could cut of the mount of the head and relocate it on the other side I recon it would be a easy fit
What a bike it would be fook yeah, if I get bored I might try it lol

Got both bikes and thought about swapping my cr engine while I rebuild the gg lump, first issue the head cant be turned round do to the head stud patern and that mount would hit the tank and think the tank it to big
The engine mounts look to be the same but ive never offered them up.
If uou could cut of the mount of the head and relocate it on the other side I recon it would be a easy fit
What a bike it would be fook yeah, if I get bored I might try it lol

I saw a thread on a KX 500 conversion where they cut the head mount and moved it to the front bc of tank clearance problems. I will see if I can find the thread again.

I saw a thread on a KX 500 conversion where they cut the head mount and moved it to the front bc of tank clearance problems. I will see if I can find the thread again.

it would be worth getting a second head so things can go back as they was, im going to try and get the 500 road legal with some sm wheels

cool cheers

Back