Yep, another starter thread

Cox76y

Hi all,
I just installed a new starter on my 2018 ec300 that I purchased on ebay for around $100 AUD after my original starter stopped working. This is the one I bought https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/194793911169?hash=item2d5a9f3381:g:Q5AAAOSwozph~A91&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4J4GR9MNPpryLHocXnt9bqAGjAA07Mc3ZsRHX8ynapyMSIroOLPD9kNKal1OkBkfCkMp4tKkIoEK8qB6dhuuqI%2BytFUPJnMEmpzcHOsiLbqh8jTolGjDsdgphsHXmJlYlDMLFhiE4adiOyJMkrkIggy57Tv%2BE8gegFQepHuFI12SUhoPtpqzZSy3dAIMP5d0F3UAipFZXd5lbFgTEoJ6XLj8sRECub%2Bjxv27tCGYkSEXs3c1EXXJkzMfjg3IO293sXzYz8Xap235OJAqwj8FX%2FVHqttbySMm5pImxQ9www2D%7Ctkp%3ABFBMyIrrxKJg. To my surprise, the new starter does not seem to have enough muscle to kick the bike over. My old starter, before it seized had no issues with regard to having enough muscle to kick the bike over. When I bought the new one on ebay I noticed another brand that was more than double the price however I thought I would give the cheaper one a try. Here is the dearer one https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/312091836757?hash=item48aa1f8155:g:MJYAAOSwyWdgHAdn:sc:AU_StandardDelivery!2280!AU!-1
Does anyone know if it would be likely the dearer one in the second link would be able to do the job better. They are both 410w however I am not sure anything else would be different between the two.
thanks in advance.
JC

Yes I did do that. It engages correctly and tries to crank the bike over but it's just not strong enough.. Thoughts?

Is your battery good enough? Did you try another battery or jumper cables?

Sent fra min YAL-L21 via Tapatalk

Check your battery and/or jump it like mentioned.

That said, I don't trust anything off ebay as it's a crap shoot whether you get what is actually advertised and if it's quality is decent or not. It might say it is 410w starter but who actually knows?

Yeah, I had already upgraded the battery to a higher CCA battery. I even attached some jumper leads to the car battery but no different. Perhaps I'm not really getting 410w as you say. Perhaps the dearer one would be better quality..

I had the same problem. The aftermarket starter(s) wouldn't do the job/turn the engine over. Then I got an OEM starter which works great! But that's $300US later, as I recall!

If I were to guess, you'll spend money on the Arrowhead and then end up going OEM after all. I hate to encourage you to spend the big $$, but I wasted money on 2-3 of the cheap ones.

Just fyi,

Jeff

Someone else posted about these chinesium starters on feebay and I bought one and it is perfect now.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/273812040492

Went out last weekend and somehow previously I managed to drop the rubber grommet from the airfilter into the carb before fitting the new filter. I didnt know the grommet was in there.

Bike started from cold on the electric leg, idled and when I got 300m from the campsite the grommet got sucked into the carb which stalled it.

Many attempts to start rather than not ride or have to push it back, but it still spins over really well.

Removed the grommet, and all was well with the world. Starts on the electric leg and rode the rest of the day. Battery still good.

Hi,just as a check to make sure the gears are not binding,pull apart the old starter & take the spline out,stick it in the starter hole & turn it by hand.Fairly common to have the bendix bind on the cover or the small gear.

Really the gas gas starter is a restarter and not designed to start a cold engine The genuine starter is supposed to be somewhat more powerful then 410w.The wet mod is awesome in remedying the starter probs .So , Get a genuine starter motor ,expensive but will work ,do the wet mod and kick when cold .Ebay starters are a waste of time and money

Yeah, I'll try those things n see how it goes. Then I think I'll just get a new one from the closest reiju dealer. I figure it was worth a try at 100 bucks. Thanks everyone for your input..
JC

Hi,just as a check to make sure the gears are not binding,pull apart the old starter & take the spline out,stick it in the starter hole & turn it by hand.Fairly common to have the bendix bind on the cover or the small gear.

On my mates 15 the shaft for the bevel ran into plain ally cover. It wore a groove away from the spinning bendix with bad results. Bored a hole and fit an insert. And then wet mod. Been fine for like 5 years.

I did that as well.Put a teflon coated bronze bush in.I have spent so much time on the starter system & it still won't consistently restart in gear.POS.

Back