2012 300R from a 06'crf450 thoughts

mblazer11

Hi Everyone I picked up a 2012 gas gas 300 Race 2 weeks ago from Tasky's Metric Cycle in Everett, WA and I love it! I have only ever owned Honda and for the last 10 years 450's.
I have 2 days on the bike 80 miles total of desert riding. The bike works great no problems what so ever. I ran the stock jetting and have not even touched the suspension. I instantly felt comfortable with the ergonomics and handling. The biggest difference is the difference in power and noise judging when you are in the power and when you need to shift. First gear is worthless in the desert.
Jetting seems fine but I have nothing to compare it too. I will be ridding in WA state from 1,000 to 5,000 most of the time. I bought the JDjetting kit and just put it in so I will give a review on that after this weekend.

Notes/ Questions
Having no manual and having never owned a gas is difficult.
The bike feels so light and agile in comparison to the 450
If you are coming from a 4stroke this thing VIBRATES!
The seat is rock hard
The rear axel adjusters are brilliant!
Steering seems to lock out way early have not noticed it on the trail just in the shop.
The black rubber air box is crammed in against the sharp plastic subframe looks like a last minute after thought. I just filed the sharp edge.
I already broke off one of the plastic pegs that gets pushed into the radiator to hold the shrouds.
Hydrulic clutch is so soft and smooth I don't hear any noise at all.
both the fill plug and drain plug are magnetic (how much oil do I need to put in?)
Is the rear shock only have compression adjustment I don't see a rebound screw?
Any jetting suggestions or am I on the right track with the JD blue 3rd clip down and 180
Any suggestions on gearing I rode the stock 450 gearing in the woods and desert and was ok with it.

Great bike can't wait to spend more time with her!

to check the oil there is a site glass next to the waterpump to adjust the rebound you need a 3mm allen the adjustment is on the bottom of the shock

to check the oil there is a site glass next to the waterpump

The sight glass isn't to know when there's enough oil, its just to check what it looks like. The amount you need is 900ml, most people use 1qt or 1L. It takes the overfilling fine.

The sight glass isn't to know when there's enough oil, its just to check what it looks like. The amount you need is 900ml, most people use 1qt or 1L. It takes the overfilling fine.

+1 900ml is what the book calls for. A little more never hurts and keeps the numbers even.

Good report and glad you're enjoying the bike! Seems to be a few niggles across the board. IE steering stops and the subframe rubbing the airboot.

I think they are using a newer model of the Ohlins so can't comment on the rebound. It will be located on the bottom of the shock though (near linkage). My model uses a plastic rings that turns in and out. I'm sure they went back to a normal adjuster for 2012, and dropped the HS comp adjuster.

The jetting is a personal preference and will depend on what you're looking for and what you ride. I ride technical ST at a bit of alt, and high temps and humidity so I jet mine quite lean and crisp. You being in the desert will have greater engine loads so will probably need to run richer. The stock seems to work well when being ridden hard, but most notice it will load up in the lower rev ranges. JD needles work well, as do yamaha, and suzukis. Heaps of reading in the Jetting section.

Vibrations are part of the 2T experience, but some bikes vibe more than others. Double check the engine mounts are tight between the frame and the bike and none of the bolts are backing out. I also find the jetting changes the way the bike feels re vibes.

Most people on here change the gearing to make it shorter. 13-50 seeems to be the go. Keeps the bike on the pipe a bit more and still allows for a nice top speed in 6th. 1st stays reseverd for the goat tracks and sticky situations.

First gear is for technical climbs.

When I get my 300E (late April, it's been suggested), I'll immediately check all the grease points. So far the word is that GG does well in this regard.

I'll also pop the head and do a squish measurement. If it's 2mm or so, off to RB-Designs for a mod. I'll wait to do the carb as I'll be running in Flagstaff at 7-9000 ft and want to do some measuring. Around Phoenix and nearby race venues for our AMRA series we ride between 1,500 and 3500.

I like to jet (my 05 250) a tad rich and I have used 40:1 premix from the beginning. I might try 50:1 this time.

I took my 250 up to 52T in the rear. 51 probably would've been better. I rode MattT's '11 SixDays 300 and another demo '11 EC300 and found that the stock 48T pulled just fine. I *might* leave it stock.

Suspension? At 200 pounds, I'd like to see what folks are doing for spring rates and suppliers.

don't know how much different the stops are from the 07 - but on my frame (and on the 00) it always seems you'd hit the stops early on, but you never do.

Wence went from a 2007 to 2012. Has noticed himself ride a bit gumby hitting the stops and having to foot down in tight ST. Definately more restricted than previous models.

On my 2010 pushing the bike it feels like its got less range of action than my yamaha. Riding it causes no issues though.

You should get an owner's manual (cd) and another skid plate pretty soon. Actually your dealer will get it. The manuals weren't completed and were shipped later. I haven't seen the skid plate but I'm told it is a bigger plastic plate.
I noticed the steering stops when pushing the bike around but haven't had any issue s when riding the bike. We run 13/50 gearing here in the east. Stock jetting too. As others said shock rebound is on the bottom of the shock (3mm hex).
Clay

Back