2013 question...

I only answer questions for free for guys in the US. Questions for guys out of the US cost a six pack! Just kidding...glad to help!

This fantastic communion and Clay helped me cement the decision to buy the '11 EC 300. I guess I also owe you that beer ;)

Clay, this isn't related to the original 2013 question but is a question about the '13s.

In another thread, you mentioned bringing some 2013 shrouds over and putting them on your 12. I never heard how that went. Do they bolt on in the front or do they still pop into the grommets?

I have a set of radiator braces being sent to me that Steve at PlusOnePerformance fabbed up that the 2012 shrouds attach to, but I'll likely need new shrouds and graphics after setting up my clubs enduro in the next month or so.

Also, if the 13 shrouds are different, are the radiators different as well?

Thanks!!

-Jeremy

Clay, this isn't related to the original 2013 question but is a question about the '13s.

In another thread, you mentioned bringing some 2013 shrouds over and putting them on your 12. I never heard how that went. Do they bolt on in the front or do they still pop into the grommets?

I have a set of radiator braces being sent to me that Steve at PlusOnePerformance fabbed up that the 2012 shrouds attach to, but I'll likely need new shrouds and graphics after setting up my clubs enduro in the next month or so.

Also, if the 13 shrouds are different, are the radiators different as well?

Thanks!!

-Jeremy

Jeremy,
The 13 shrouds will fit on the '12 with no problem. The '13 shrouds have a strengthening rib that run down the back side. It still pops in the rad flange at the top but has a bolt at the bottom. You have to put a nut on the back side or order the plastic flange with attached nut from the '11 or older models.
The rads are the same.
Clay

Last edited:
Clay,

If I remember correctly you just installed the lower white shroud part from the '13 on your bike and retained the longer upper part correct? At least it looked that way to me but if not set me straight. Reason I ask is I'm going to talk to Mark about getting red/black plastic from the std Euro bike and that upper part is already red.

Jeremy,

To save your '12 plastic for now, mount it with bolts like I did. I have had no problems, even last weekend when a sappling tried to remove the left side, rubber mount just flexed until I removed the intruder and popped back to position. The '13 stuff is way stiffer.

Clay,

If I remember correctly you just installed the lower white shroud part from the '13 on your bike and retained the longer upper part correct? At least it looked that way to me but if not set me straight. Reason I ask is I'm going to talk to Mark about getting red/black plastic from the std Euro bike and that upper part is already red.

Jeremy,

To save your '12 plastic for now, mount it with bolts like I did. I have had no problems, even last weekend when a sappling tried to remove the left side, rubber mount just flexed until I removed the intruder and popped back to position. The '13 stuff is way stiffer.

No it was the whole two piece shroud that I hand carried (both sides) all of the way from Spain on three different airplanes. I got some funny looks everywhere I went. There was a guy at security in Paris that really wanted to take them from me but I guess he finally decided I couldn't kill anyone with two piecec of plastic.

There was a guy at security in Paris that really wanted to take them from me but I guess he finally decided I couldn't kill anyone with two piecec of plastic.

If you swing them hard enough though, they could cause a nasty bruise and possibly an abrasion...

2013 Tank Size

Just been reading the specs on the 2013
Tank size now 9.5 litre. Is this to help with fitment,
Dont help with fuel range for trail riding,
Was it only the 2012 that had 10.5 litres

Going to GASGAS UK on saturday to see if i can do a deal on a 2013 300
Will be interesting to see how much lower it feels with the new links, im only 5ft 7ins short

We get the 250f here , Be interested in looking at the 2013 .
Im not going back to 4 stroke,

V-tec

Just been reading the specs on the 2013
Tank size now 9.5 litre. Is this to help with fitment,
Dont help with fuel range for trail riding,
Was it only the 2012 that had 10.5 litres

Going to GASGAS UK on saturday to see if i can do a deal on a 2013 300
Will be interesting to see how much lower it feels with the new links, im only 5ft 7ins short

We get the 250f here , Be interested in looking at the 2013 .
Im not going back to 4 stroke,

V-tec

There were some problems with 12 tanks not fitting into the frame correctly after they had been filled with fuel for a long time. The '13 tanks were decreased in size to allow for swelling due to fumes. At least that is what I was told. The Euro companies just don't get the tank size issue that we have here in the US and some other countries. I decided to fight this battle later.

I had this problem, but I don't think its the fuel at least in my case. I had the tank removed sitting on the bench for a few days in the warm garage, a splash of fuel in it. It was sitting in a way that the check valve in the cap was closed, and pressure built up, expanding the tank. I could not fit the tank back in the frame! After forcing it down it would still not line up with the front mount. I ended up pulling a vacuum on the tank with a small hand pump to shrink it back down and letting it sit like that overnight. Solved the problem and no problems since. I always crack the cap now if I pull the tank!

There were some problems with 12 tanks not fitting into the frame correctly after they had been filled with fuel for a long time. The '13 tanks were decreased in size to allow for swelling due to fumes. At least that is what I was told. The Euro companies just don't get the tank size issue that we have here in the US and some other countries. I decided to fight this battle later.

Thanks clay,
That will be all the more reasons to get my jetting and float hight sorted,
Do you think its possible to get 8 miles to the litre from a 300,
Does the 250 use less fuel, or more because its working harder.

v-tec

125kms on 9.5L ...Thats about the very best you'll achieve.. Head mod, crisp jetting, not too much time with the throttle wide open.

Holy crap :eek:125km lol in our single track up here I'd be really lucky to pull 70-80k outta mine and I think my jetting is spot on!!!!

I've done a 90km buzz several times of mixed riding. Some hwy, some fire trail, some single. Have never had to switch it to reserve. Usually takes around 7-8L to fill it though.

Back