2013 straight out of the box - UK

Can't really tell tbh, need to give it some
Mine is running rich out of the box,must be the norm.i need to have a read up and have a play with settings

Souns just like the stock needle always done. Rich and breaking up off the bottom. Not sure where you're located or your temps, alititude, fuel/oil ratios, etc, but have found the newer bikes with the AS2 carbs respond really well to the Yamaha needles. N3EW/N3CW/N3EJ/N3CJ. Depending on your style you may even enjoy the H diameter needle (N3EH/N3CH). They sell for around $10 a piece and really transform the bike.

Here is a mates 2012 with stock needle - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YMI5mvuvwQ - Listen to where he has to ride slow at part throttle. burble burble.

Went to 42 N3CJ#3 178 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA58kMfgOsI - much cleaner off the bottom. Still hauls when the throttles open!

Based in good old Devon England, couple hundred feet above sea level
running 50-1 Motul 710
On the advise of GasGas uk meachanic moved clip to top of stock needle,
which improved things
Damn jealous of your riding areas , got nothing like that here.

Biff

You'll still get poor fuel economy on top clip and find that by doing so to clean up the lower throttle openings that the mid will have fallen a bit flatter than before. The needle profile just doesn't work well for the latest generation of carbs & engines. I don't think its worked well for many years actually and the preferred setups are suzuki needles, yamaha needles, or jds needles. Some also like sudco needles CCK/CEK/DDK depending (I've never tinkered with these straight taper needles).

Seriously, get yourself an N3CW/N3CJ. $10-$20 well spent.

Yeah start in clip 3 with a 42 pilot and 178 main. It'll be pretty close. Also take the time to set the float height as per the sticky thread by Andoman.

How u getting on biff?
Funny enough I found some jets & needle in bag with bits today.
Needle says ch n
178 jet which I can use
& some sort of other jet 35
From what I can gather the ch n needle is probably the n3ch that jakobi said about but there's no number 3 on it.
Looks like I just have to get a 42 pilot

Would be good to see how u get on biff

Email response -

If yours has got a 175 main jet in then leave that in......

Yours will probably have either a 40 or a 42 pilot jet in from std, you need to fit a 38 if its a bit rich at the bottom end.......

They send out the jets in your picture for differant things, the 172/178 and 180 are for your bike if it runs too rich or weak depending on which country you are in and how you like your bike set up...

The 115 main, the 35 pilot and the CHN needle are for your bike in "Homologated" trim, that is with the black front exhaust pipe and the plastic disc for inside the air filter fitted... so you basically dont need them...!

Waitng for new needle to turn up as well as day rider backpack from
Liquid containment few days in Wales uk next week

Will post up if the parts turn up and work permits fitting / testing

Exactly the same issue. Went out on the bike for the first time yesterday and after an hour taking it easy, it was time to open it up a bit. Very wooly getting into the mid range.
Off down to the Yamaha dealer tomorrow and order one of those slides. Love the bike though. Way nicer than my 11' 300 Berg.

How u getting on biff?
Funny enough I found some jets & needle in bag with bits today.
Needle says ch n
178 jet which I can use
& some sort of other jet 35
From what I can gather the ch n needle is probably the n3ch that jakobi said about but there's no number 3 on it.
Looks like I just have to get a 42 pilot

Would be good to see how u get on biff

Biffs on the money mate! The CHN is a big thick bugger thats designed to be used with the corked up engine. It'll be far too lean for anything. Toothpick?

Speedgeeza.. One of those needles :) Your slide should be fine.

If you want part numbers or anything jst ask.

N3CJ needle installed #3
Will put a few miles on this week to compare with stock needle (when seat bolt arrives)
Last ride equated to 25 mpg- 50miles to reserve

Biff

Biffs on the money mate! The CHN is a big thick bugger thats designed to be used with the corked up engine. It'll be far too lean for anything. Toothpick?

Speedgeeza.. One of those needles :) Your slide should be fine.

If you want part numbers or anything jst ask.

Yep, sorry. I mean't needle. Ordered it this morning along with a 40 and 38 pilot jet just incase. The needle was only $17.
The parts guy needed a bike to look up the needle part number. So I said try an '11 YZ250. Bingo! I think this was the last year they made the two stroke 250??? Parts should arrive in a week.
Thanks for the advice. First race on the bike, a week on Sunday.

I just installed the n3cj setup, wow, sh?t eating grin, you can expect near perfect off idle fuelling, torquey bottom end and an 'interesting' controlled explosion onto the pipe that is absolutely perfect for trail riding or for someone racing that likes to sit just off the pipe in the surge and has good throttle control..well done jake, amazing. I'm ordering the replacement needle and will send all back soon. Cheers

I just installed the n3cj setup, wow, sh?t eating grin, you can expect near perfect off idle fuelling, torquey bottom end and an 'interesting' controlled explosion onto the pipe that is absolutely perfect for trail riding or for someone racing that likes to sit just off the pipe in the surge and has good throttle control..well done jake, amazing. I'm ordering the replacement needle and will send all back soon. Cheers

Thats sums it up nicely Simmo. Glad to hear its working in the 2013 models too! Hope it works as well for those overseas.

What is the richest straight dia. that series is available in? Back to back races in the next couple weeks, using my two bikes, rather not share the JD Blue. If Smartcarb ships on time its still a week in UPS, plus install, setup, and test ride time before next race. Mid May at best realistically, so I need a needle thats close.

What is the richest straight dia. that series is available in? Back to back races in the next couple weeks, using my two bikes, rather not share the JD Blue. If Smartcarb ships on time its still a week in UPS, plus install, setup, and test ride time before next race. Mid May at best realistically, so I need a needle thats close.

An N3CF needle is the richest in the N3xx series. It's sold as a KTM needle.
http://www.magicracing.com/KTM-JET-NEEDLE-KEIHIN-N3CF-04_p_123508.html

Thanks MJC. I'll try and pick a couple richer ones up at the local dealer this week. I have the entire range of Suzuki needles but they are just too lean off the bottom with the older carb.

They're available in all the standard sizes Glenn (C through to L)
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/yamaha/YP-4SR-14916-EC-00.html

When first researching jetting I recall hobbit? suggesting that N3EG was his recommendation for the older carbs.

I think most of the n3xc-n3xe needles have been discontinued. I only see the n3ce needle as still being offered. The needles go forward n3 C or E starting at F diameter.

I use an n3eg in my honda cr125, and that's with an PWK AS2

Back