2013 straight out of the box - UK

Went for a quick spin (road) 25 miles of mixed speed which equated to 3 litres over 25 miles
This sound ok, considering before on stock neeedle 9 litres = 50 miles.?
So I'm guessing I should get between 60-70 miles on a tank with the new needle?
Much happier now

Not sure what u should get biff, once Iv been out for another trail ride ill let u know what I'm getting out of a tank.what needle & jets did u have originally?

Just took my carb apart & found abit of shit in the jet also found bit of water in the bowl (probably from jet washing) & knew it was water as the the nipple on the end of the cable had tiny bit of rust.i also adjusted the float.
Here what's in it
Needle n1 ef clip on 3
Pilot 45
Main 175
Took it for 5 mile spin on Tarmac & it seems a lot more crisper & no bogging, I wouldn't say it was lightning responsive but it might be im use to 4st fi but more than happy if it remains like this as only do trail riding but if I was racing I would have a further play.just need to see what range I'm getting now

Its hard to judge fuel consumption as theres a lot of variables at play including how far you twist the grip.

Set up

So, I fitted the new needle and got rid of the remote choke thingy for a standard pull choke on the carb.

Today, I took it for a short test. After a good warm up, I went down the road for a half mile then turned round and opened her up. Nice snappy response and strong mid hit.
When I got back to the house, I noticed the idle was pretty high so adjusted it. I blipped the throttle to see how it responded. Pretty sharp but I thought I detected a bit of a flat spot.
So I blipped the throttle again, faster this time. Yes, definitely a hole right off the bottom. So I'll lift the needle (drop the clip) a position and see how that goes when I get chance. Won't be for a week or so now though. Feel like I'm pretty close now though.

Carb set up
175 main jet
42 pilot jet
Needle N3CJ, middle clip position

Conditions, Outside air temp 20 degrees C @ 500ft ASL.

No expert , but that could be adjusted out with the airscrew
Might be lean on the pilot

That would be my first port of call.

Bump the main up to a 178 for starters too. It'll have a bit of an effect at idle too. Then bring the air screw into 1 turn and try again and see if it feels better. If you end up closing the airscrew more than 1 out from fully seated move up to a 45 pilot and continue testing.

Haha... Yes, I did think of adjusting the airscrew but didn't have time for another run. When I get back next week I'll do as you fellas have suggested and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Jetting my 2013 300 XC

I am also playing with jetting on my 300. I am at 178, a replaced needle and a 40 pilot, I think. I was setting the clip and buggered up the oring gasket on the cap. I can't find one so far. Beware- don't wreck yours they are hard to find! I have jury rigged the old one, and hope to be able to ride this weekend. I also had to set my float level, the jetting was spot on, but it was pissing gas out the bottom on the stand. Why is Gas Gas float levels always wrong?

I am also playing with jetting on my 300. I am at 178, a replaced needle and a 40 pilot, I think. I was setting the clip and buggered up the oring gasket on the cap. I can't find one so far. Beware- don't wreck yours they are hard to find! I have jury rigged the old one, and hope to be able to ride this weekend. I also had to set my float level, the jetting was spot on, but it was pissing gas out the bottom on the stand. Why is Gas Gas float levels always wrong?

Yamaha sells that gasket separate. I think you're talking about #14 ?http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2006/YZ250+-+YZ250V/CARBURETOR/parts.html

Last edited:
Two things. Either Gas Gas doesn't set the floats and just whacks the carbs in the bike 'assuming' that they are right when they come from Keihin, or they are setting the floats to the Keihin specs which is all good when the carb is level. Have a look at the angle that the airbox to reeds creates and you'll see why it can overflow. For an AS2 the spec is 6.5mm from memory. Usually take it out to 7.5-8mm.

Just as an example with the lectron where you can see the fuel line.
P1000950_zps4090b24b.jpg

Shipping also takes its toll I'm sure. With no fuel to support the float, it can bang around in there pretty good. In addition to level being off, they are always slightly twisted and need to be straightened. Even APT has shipping issues with the Smartcarb floats.

yamaha part no

Hey thanks for that part number, I am on the phone with the local Yamaha shop to source, this looks promising. I knew other 2 strokes had the same carb, but I did not know which specific one. Thanks for the help Glenn, you da man!

So, I fitted the new needle and got rid of the remote choke thingy for a standard pull choke on the carb.

Today, I took it for a short test. After a good warm up, I went down the road for a half mile then turned round and opened her up. Nice snappy response and strong mid hit.
When I got back to the house, I noticed the idle was pretty high so adjusted it. I blipped the throttle to see how it responded. Pretty sharp but I thought I detected a bit of a flat spot.
So I blipped the throttle again, faster this time. Yes, definitely a hole right off the bottom. So I'll lift the needle (drop the clip) a position and see how that goes when I get chance. Won't be for a week or so now though. Feel like I'm pretty close now though.

Carb set up
175 main jet
42 pilot jet
Needle N3CJ, middle clip position

Conditions, Outside air temp 20 degrees C @ 500ft ASL.

Did you ever adjust your clip position? I am running the same needle and pilot as you, but have a 178 main. And I also have the same flat/dead spot as you. It is a smooth response past off idle all the way up. I wound up riding all day like that. To hard to change in the field on the newer bikes. It was killing me to keep feeling that spot all day long.

Remember all my testing with this was in Australia in the summer time. High temps, high humidity, as well as our variances in fuels. If its a hole right off idle when you crack the throttle open go up on the pilot. If its around 1/8th throttle you might prefer a richer diameter, or if its more around 1/4 throttle - 1/2 throttle rich and richen the clip position.

It may be that my bike doesn't like that needle where I am(as in geographic location). If I move up to a 45 pilot, now I am running richer than my 250. The 250 is running
42 pilot
JD blue middle clip
178 main

And it drools something fierce. I richened it up to lessen the hit for my wife.

I may just go back to the JD red, it ran well, just didn't idle to well.

The JD Red is very similar to a N3CH. Don't get caught up on the number on the pilot. Its all relative to the needle diameter. A JD Blue is about 4 steps richer than the J diameter, so if you use the same sized pilot as your 250 you're still 4 steps leaner at idle.

What clip pos did you run the JD Red in? If you were running in clip 4, then I'd definitely run the N3CJ in the same clip pos.

Did you ever adjust your clip position? I am running the same needle and pilot as you, but have a 178 main. And I also have the same flat/dead spot as you. It is a smooth response past off idle all the way up. I wound up riding all day like that. To hard to change in the field on the newer bikes. It was killing me to keep feeling that spot all day long.

Nope, not had chance. Been away with work. Going to do it this evening and then try this weekend, time permitting. I'll update on here when I've tried it.

Cheers

Just about to set the same combo up in my 2013 300R (4hrs on it) :

178m 42p N3CJ AS 1 screw out, and i'll prob run #2 clip with some Amsoil Dominator.

I tried the Suzuki NECJ on #2 but still ran rich as hell @ 50:1 Motul 800.

For anyone in Australia, I ordered the N3CJ from Yamaha and they tried to charge $55, but I got them down to $40!!!!! The Suzuki needle was only $13
Don't know what the hells going on there!

Back