2018 EC300GP Gas Pig and CRAP Mileage

emepher

Hey Guys -

Looking for feedback on the gas mileage and if anyone has worked on a fix. I'm getting 12-14 MPG while being really nice on the throttle. This weekend on a 100 mile ride and climbing between 100ft - 4000ft at an A level pace, I'm always worried about my gas with this bike.

Seems like the general consensus between guys with the same bike is the new 300 is a gas pig. Other guys with the 300 bought IMS tanks to alleviate the stress of running out of gas on longer rides. I've jetted the bike lean and the plug is perfectly tan without any carbon/oil build up on the porcelain and strap. I get a little spooge when putting in tight single track on the silencer... I attribute that mostly to the spark arrester and inefficient gas burn.

My friends '17 KTM 300 is burning 1.6 gallons less fuel in 50 miles and he rides the throttle like a complete asshole.

The only thing I can think of the head is causing an inefficient burn.
I'm thinking of sending my head to RK Tek to fix the squish and flute the flame cup.

Any other helpful suggestions?

Thanks!

Agreed on checking your float level, I get at least 45miles to a tank on mine running at a high B race pace during harescrambles.

Just wondering if going easy on the throttle is bad for mileage? Counter intuitive but....

I ride in a high gear and im gentle with the throttle, rarely on the pipe.
I get about 35miles (17mpg, 6km/L) to a tank on my re-jetted 2011 250. Granted I have no idea where the squish is but I cant see it getting me another 20miles.

Faster guys over here seem to have no issues with tank range.
The engine will have a peak efficiency band somewhere and it could be higher up the revs meaning you cover more ground for the amount of fuel used?
Eg on the pipe in 3rd vs off the pipe in 4th???

Checked my float height last night and it's within spec of the manual.

I spoke to RK Tek and they were having the same mileage issue. Kelsey had terrible mileage on RK's 300GP as well. He said the squish on the GG300GP is too tight to cut the head but the flame cup is the most inefficient of all manufactures he's seen. He improved his gas mileage and can get nearly 50 miles to a tank riding in Idaho (that's promising).

So RK Tek head, here I come.

I get about 35miles (17mpg, 6km/L) to a tank on my re-jetted 2011 250. Granted I have no idea where the squish is but I cant see it getting me another 20miles.

What on earth is going wrong with your bikes? I have a 2011 EC300 - went on 100 mile ride last weekend. Gassed up at the 30 mile mark (note I dropped my bike a few times on a huge hill climb, probably ate a bunch of gas) and it took 1.2 gallons. Didn't gas up again, didn't hit reserve, and finished the day at 98 miles.

So I went almost 70 miles and didn't hit reserve. How the hell are you only getting 35 miles?

95% of a ride over here would be 2nd and 3rd gear with occasional 1st required. Tight technical slimy forest or narrow rocky trails.

I had a guy get close enough behind me for a bit last weekend. He said he could see gas leaking out of my overflow hoses on a downhill. That tells me the float is at a incorrect level. Pulled it off and sure enough its too high. I was using a good deal of gas before. I'll see how it does now.

Checked my float height last night and it's within spec of the manual.
What is the factory spec on them? They're still using the Keihin PWK carb, right? Anyway, I know I've had problems in the past with PWK float heights. I normally run them at 18mm to eliminate losing fuel on the trail or while on the kickstand.

This may sound silly but it is worth a try. Put the bike on a stand or have someone hold the bike and make sure the bike is as level as possible. Then use a bubble level to verify the carb body is level to the ground. The carb sits on two different angles and it is sometimes difficult by eye to verify it is truly level. If it is not level it can overflow more easily and also run rich.

This may sound silly but it is worth a try. Put the bike on a stand or have someone hold the bike and make sure the bike is as level as possible. Then use a bubble level to verify the carb body is level to the ground. The carb sits on two different angles and it is sometimes difficult by eye to verify it is truly level. If it is not level it can overflow more easily and also run rich.
Yeah, forgot about that. Not being level, or float level too high, both can cause a bike to run rich along with loosing fuel while riding.

Mine's decent

I get 20 mpg (18 EC300)pretty consistently in a 2 hr Harescramble. Pretty happy with it, was concerned coming from a YZ250fx which got crazy mileage with the fi.

With the 2.6 gallon tank, if I manage to do 40 miles, I would be just getting to reserve.

Just screwing around trail riding it does better too. I have a 38 pj, haven't touched the main and N3CH needle.

Try using the Beta float adjustment. I had nothing but issues with overflowing on my '07 until I kept adjusting the float. The angle of the carb is causing issues.

I get around 35 to a gallon on the '07 300 if I'm not hammering it.

float%20height%20from%20OM-M.jpg

Last edited:
I get 20 mpg (18 EC300)pretty consistently in a 2 hr Harescramble. Pretty happy with it, was concerned coming from a YZ250fx which got crazy mileage with the fi.

With the 2.6 gallon tank, if I manage to do 40 miles, I would be just getting to reserve.

Just screwing around trail riding it does better too. I have a 38 pj, haven't touched the main and N3CH needle.

I get the same mileage on mine about 40 until I hit reserve, same needle. Have yet to try the RK head.

Back