450 Fse Valve Train and Timing

twowheels

One more time, just for fun (and because service manual writers seem to have overlooked the obvious) ...

What is the torque spec for the cam caps?

What is the correct position of the intake cam when timing? (I'm supposing piston at TDC, mark 3 pointing to 12 o'clock, mark 2 level with head)

What is the correct position of the exhaust cam when timing? (I'm supposing piston at TDC, mark 2 pointing to 12 o'clock, marks 1 and 3 level with head)

Is there a timing mark that indicates TDC on the ignition rotor (I didn't see one) or on the primary side, or are you just using a gauge to show TDC?

Many thanks ...

One more time, just for fun (and because service manual writers seem to have overlooked the obvious) ...

What is the torque spec for the cam caps? 1mn
What is the correct position of the intake cam when timing? (I'm supposing piston at TDC, mark 3 pointing to 12 o'clock, mark 2 level with head) Yes
What is the correct position of the exhaust cam when timing? (I'm supposing piston at TDC, mark 2 pointing to 12 o'clock, marks 1 and 3 level with head)Yes
Is there a timing mark that indicates TDC on the ignition rotor (I didn't see one) or on the primary side, or are you just using a gauge to show TDC? there is none
Many thanks ...

When you remove the cams etc always at TDC and with premint marker mark the cam and cam chain and then you cant get it wrong. if you havenet done this the M mark on the timing chain should line up with the marks on the cam chain, just to be sure rotate the motor a full revolution to ensure the valve doesnt hit the piston by hand.

Are you sure on the cam cap torque at 1 Nm? Honda CRF caps are 16 Nm and they are of a similar size (albeit they seat a cam doing both intake and exhaust duties).

Thanks for the answers on the timing.

sorry spec is 1kgm down load the manual it has it in there.
I wouldn't trust that! It has caused me heartache several times with its torque values. Be very wary of the cam caps, whilst the head/cylinder is reasonably strong & the values in manual seem correct for that the caps themselves are made of cheese. The cam cover screws into them I got nowhere near the value in the manual before they started to yield!

Back