84 RM 250 E Ground UP Full Restoration

Tear Down Updates

Well things are moving along. the bottom motor bolt was tough to take off. I had to put the torch on it twice and pound it out with a mini sledge. It was very rusted and bent.
qciVYPdm.jpg

Here is the bottom end on the workbench.
AJIcct9m.jpg

aX5dQyJm.jpg

The water pump cover came off without a problem. It looks like new inside.
IA7ds5cm.jpg

The impeller looks perfect as well.
Fv6hibym.jpg

I don't think the clutch cover has ever been off the bike. small dent in lower cover, looks like from the rear brake pedal when someone tipped over.
oeIs6hbm.jpg

Some sludge in the bottom of the clutch cover, I rinsed this all out with some brake cleaner.
nw9EVVvm.jpg

The clutch basket and plates look original and the clutch basket has never been off the bike.
7Sp7az9m.jpg

just a very small amount of grooving on the clutch basket.
CRNCEhRm.jpg

But the steel plates have rusted into the fiber plates.
dCr3Ewsm.jpg

One Problem

I need help on one problem. I can't get the primary gear nut on the crank loose. I read some threads that said Suzuki put a high strength locker on this nut and it was only removable with heat. Some thought the bolt was a left hand thread because it was so hard to remove, but other said it was right hand thread but it took a lot of heat. I put PB blaster and the torch on the nut, then put my 1200 pound Milwaukee Impact Wrench on it, it didn't move the nut at all and it rounded the edge of the nut but I stopped immediately and I straightened the damage with a file.

I could use my 3/4 breaker bar with a 3/4 inch 19mm socket.

Any suggestions?

7Sp7az9m.jpg

And the nut came right off the stator. I have 6 flywheel pullers and none of them fit this design which has the two locations to thread into the bolt holes. Any body have specific puller model to recommend?
P868ivOm.jpg

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Some thought the bolt was a left hand thread because it was so hard to remove, but other said it was right hand thread but it took a lot of heat. I put PB blaster and the torch on the nut, then put my 1200 pound Milwaukee Impact Wrench on it, it didn't move the nut at all and it rounded the edge of the nut but I stopped immediately and I straightened the damage with a file.

I could use my 3/4 breaker bar with a 3/4 inch 19mm socket.

Have you researched the Factory Service Manual? Maybe there's an online version with specifics? I'm interested (and I'll poke around a bit) as I have a 1992 RM125 that will likely need a bit of help in the bottom end at some point.

Maybe try Thumpertalk in the Suzuki 2 stroke section as well?

Uh.Well
Its a Suzuki and their is a high probability that nut is reverse threads.Left hand.

Get out now while you still can.
Pretend you never saw it.
Quietly make it go away.

Have you researched the Factory Service Manual? Maybe there's an online version with specifics? I'm interested (and I'll poke around a bit) as I have a 1992 RM125 that will likely need a bit of help in the bottom end at some point.

Maybe try Thumpertalk in the Suzuki 2 stroke section as well?

I ordered an oem manual, it should arrive tomorrow. Thanks, I will check thumpertalk.

I've never seen a snoozookie with a LH Thread, bar perhaps mirrors or gear change linkages.

left Hand Thread Primary Gear Nut

I've never seen a snoozookie with a LH Thread, bar perhaps mirrors or gear change linkages.

Well, I got my OEM Suzuki Service Manual last night and I was surprised too. There was a detailed description of the primary gear removal with a photo. It is a left hand thread. I reversed the direction on my impact wrench, put on a 19mm socket and "bang' the nut came off in less than a second.:D

n8htE4nm.jpg

CQJ5XMlm.jpg

JueWpunm.jpg

Well what can I say?
You were right and I was, well. . Less right than you were.

But I think that is a bit of a sideshow
In my own way my statements did approach the truth

I think the take home message was; That I Was Right.

It's thanks enough. Just send cash.

Well what can I say?
You were right and I was, well. . Less right than you were.

But I think that is a bit of a sideshow
In my own way my statements did approach the truth

I think the take home message was; That I Was Right.

It's thanks enough. Just send cash.

LOL, I didn't believe it until I saw the service manual otherwise I would have pulled it off 3 days ago.:confused:I just bought a puller for the flywheel, it just arrived today, you may have to help me with that.:)

I'm going to have to store that in the memory banks it would have totally flummoxed me in disbelief.
As a good friend once said:
Listen to what people say, but don't listen to what people say.

Sage advice. Certainly better than the chap further up suggesting that Suzuki didn't do that sort of thing.
OK here's my actual good advice (for my penance);
Don't lose that nut!

My advice for past engineers of such fasteners;
Stamp an L on the face of LH Thread parts.

Told ya.
Again.

F5. Remember all you know is what you've seen.
Not heard.Not read. etc.

If you grew up riding and working on these older bikes then you are qualified to have an opinion.If you didn't then you aren't

Sell it!

Gee, you've just kinda made an attempt to debunk Education. Socrates would not be impressed that his efforts would be in vain.
But yes I'm 50 and have built shedloads of stuff.

Anyhoo just off to load the van. Day of riding awaits.

Gee, you've just kinda made an attempt to debunk Education. Socrates would not be impressed that his efforts would be in vain.
But yes I'm 50 and have built shedloads of stuff.

Anyhoo just off to load the van. Day of riding awaits.

"Ive never seen" means exactly that.Means less then nothing.
That is the message.

Here is the issue.I could care less what you think you know.Believe that.
But the majority of visitors to this site use it a s a technical reference.So the misinformation is a real problem.

I have to go through about 50 threads on the same topic when I am visiting a forum and trying to solve an issue I am unfamiliar with( Iboats is a good example) to weed out the guys who "think they know" or have "heard" this or that to get to the guy or guys that knows from actual experience.In other words they've done it.They have dealt with the same problem.

That is all Im saying.

He doesn't have to satamp it.He doesn't have to mark it.He wont forget.Understand?

Sheesh. Anyway let's not pollute the poor guys thread with anymore life's disappointments stuff.

Back