84 RM 250 E Ground UP Full Restoration

Updates

I found an RM replacement shock and sent it to Drew at Works Enduro Rider. Drew is also going to install a set of Racetech Emulators in the forks. I had a big batch of OEM suzuki parts arrive and started getting them installed.

I pressed new bearings and seals into the upper full floater arm. Everything went together very nice and it was fairly easy to fit to the frame. Just make sure that you don't lose any needle bearings when install the long spacer and long pivot bolt.

This is what it looks like installed.That cad plated gold rod in the middle is actually a spacer and the pivot bolt goes through the center.
LKOLBFDl.jpg

This is a shot from the side which show the pivot bolt and the new linkage arms bolted up with all new Oem Suzuki fasteners including new shock bolts.
HFMIgtTl.jpg

View from the back, notice the new suzuki chain guard and bolt to the left.
9GscaZ8l.jpg

MDxBUkrl.jpg

New oem engine mount bolts and spacers.
SLQraP7l.jpg

New oem rear fender.
s9FWEp4l.jpg

jaqTy5Zl.jpg

New oem front plate.
NBApJp4l.jpg

New oem fork boots
jCmxegpl.jpg

drm7Flil.jpg

Updates Continued

I had bought a new Renthal Ultra lite rear sprocket part number 123U. Package showed that it fit all the RM 250s to 2008. Wrong. I spoke to the Renthal rep and he said that the 84,85,86 RM 250 ran a different rear wheel that used Renthal sprocket number 125U. The Sunstar application chart confirms this is correct.After some more research its appears that the 84,85,86 RM 250s used the same rear wheel as the RM 465 and RM 500. After 86, Suzuki went back to the std RM 250 wheel that they used until like 2008.

2EcAVj7l.jpg

New oem side panel.
fJZR4vll.jpg

These are the big wide 98 RM 250 footpegs.
HECzHDCl.jpg

New tank strap.

FwtIBGxl.jpg

New CDI cushion
1Xa6x4ll.jpg

New CDI strap
2GZ31bHl.jpg

Tank with new oem fuel valve and cad bolts.
3X6RRmFl.jpg

ZGyQdirl.jpg

New bearing and seal installed on clutch shaft.New main bearings installed into the cases.
jLHKPTsl.jpg

Clutch cover with the new ceramic coolant seal.
Vj8h6B9l.jpg

Water Pump

This is the water pump. I ordered new seals and bearings but upon closer inspection I am going to order a new impeller shaft. This shaft is too oxidized to use. This photo includes the new parts oriented on the old shaft that will be replaced.
EMkXenXl.jpg

mqH6flBl.jpg

This is the correct orientation of the ceramic seal for the water pump.
CPuPcQzl.jpg

Great pics but I'm on my phone. Might have to view proper on a bigger screen.

Engine Build Started

I started on the engine build this past weekend. Here are the cases with the new Suzuki oem bearings installed in each new oem case.

uZF3Ioul.jpg

Shift side case.
lpIb6Etl.jpg

Brake side case.
zKGQpcUl.jpg

The cases went together without a problem.

eOTGr3el.jpg

QnOttPdl.jpg

Xm4tZXjl.jpg

Everything rotates smooth without any binding, shifts nice. :D

gYMKtTyl.jpg

Nice

That looks really nice! I like the air cooled motor and the monoshock. Do you like your scissor stand? Where did you buy the stand?

It is great. I bought it at Princess Auto here in Canada. It sort of like a Harbout Freight. I've had it for quite a few years already.

Engine Build Continues

New Mitaka Alloy basket with oem Suzuki Ring Gear installed.Thrust washer to the right.
511uqdil.jpg

This is the spacer with the two piece bearing in place. This spacer is a little different than a gasser, which has a thrust washer behind the basket and a spacer and bearing inside the basket. This suzuki spacer is really a combination thrust washer and spacer in one with a two piece bearing that fits onto the spacer. if you look closely at the photo you will see the bearing is a two piece design.
5YOSYYfl.jpg

This is the main seal installed.If you look closely at the main seal you will see how the water pump bearing housing covers part of the main seal. You must install this main seal from the inside and before you install the main bearing. My Suzuki manual and my Clymer manual did not mention this procedure.
KUJpYuxl.jpg

Back to the clutch.Basket mounted right up with thrust washer in place.

V1Ixz1Ml.jpg

Nut and washer in place. New pushrod and ball.
Ldeky3Vl.jpg

New clutch pack installed with new oem springs.These clutches only have 5 fibers and 4 steels. On the later RMX models, these fiber plates interchange but the RMXs have 8 fibers and 7 steels.
BnbfPW7l.jpg

nFKLGpAl.jpg

Fitted the stator cover, new oem shifter and chain cover and oem case saver.
GFifBBgl.jpg

VDmuH2xl.jpg

Last edited:
Waiting on a Wrist Pin Bearing and a Primary Gear

One shot of the engine without the chain cover and case saver installed. The new studs and dowels went in fine. Note, all four of these case studs are different and they are position specific.(check the suzuki fiche). I used assembly lube and I carefully torqued them in three steps with a 1/4 drive torque wrench. That is a new renthal sprocket.
iBqJO2Cl.jpg

One interesting issue. I had to order a new primary gear and crankshaft woodruff key. The 81 to 84 250 cranks interchange but the 83 and 84 have a different primary gear. (The 85 crank does NOT interchange because the rod is about 8mm longer.) My crank was a new 82 crank so I had to use a new primary gear but the water pump drive gear is the same.

AYWF1Wpl.jpg

Last edited:
I have the same stand. They work great and you can move your bike around the shop with ease while on the stand. And no more working on your knees!

Stand

I have the same stand. They work great and you can move your bike around the shop with ease while on the stand. And no more working on your knees!

That is what I am looking for in a stand. Some mobility and not being hunched over for hours at a time.:D

Those Princess Auto scissor lifts are just the usual made in China garbage. The quality of the welds is poor. Sometimes you get one that's OK, sometimes not.
One of the welds on mine failed and I had to redo it. No problem if you have a welder, but a pain for the regular guy without a welder.

Also the hydraulic circuit is meager and sometimes the lift won't go up. The fix is to increase the spring pressure on the bypass valve. Wait for a sale to buy one, they're barely worth that price.

Back