84 RM 250 E Ground UP Full Restoration

Engine mock Up

I have been on vacation. I just received the one case that I was waiting on before I took the break.

Bottom cases
smdiianm.jpg

Picture from the top.
KgjzkKbm.jpg

With the barrel.
ILasE6Lm.jpg

With the barrel and head.
PHWcXzFm.jpg

Picture of the head from the top.
XRq2xnim.jpg

One more picture.
PHWcXzFm.jpg

Here is what it looked like when we started.
05EEErZm.jpg

New Parts fromSuzuki Europe

I have delayed posting because I ran into a rare parts find and I decided to go for an upgrade on the build.

This box just arrived today. What could be inside?
3J22vQem.jpg

M3Ivaecm.jpg

What is this?
aqj4VJtm.jpg

VbOsbjym.jpg

How about a brand new set of 1984 RM 250 E engine cases that have been sitting on a shelf in a European Suzuki dealer FOR 34 YEARS!

bL03pzZm.jpg

BR2AJ5Km.jpg

DnEyuFDm.jpg

FoI5Pnzm.jpg

gjzN8Xmm.jpg

More New Suzuki Parts

But wait, what else was in the box?
GXg3xTdm.jpg

A new clutch and case cover!
za7vQrUm.jpg

The last new oem Suzuki RM 250 E crank in existence!

Z8KduZcm.jpg

2CnC5ATm.jpg

New side panel.
m6KGxjhm.jpg

q6bcg3jm.jpg

82Ke3VAm.jpg

And some extra things no longer available in the states.

seOGH3sm.jpg

Reassembly Moving Along

I got some more stuff in the mail so I could move along some more.

New Excel rims. The spokes from Buchannan's will be here tomorrow.
FCnRScWm.jpg

ZRJAyfZm.jpg

18 inch rear
WY9ZbYnm.jpg

I started unpacking the cad plated bolts etc that just arrived.
JkXx4YSm.jpg

replated clutch actuation shaft

DAU1uhhm.jpg

Rear brake arm bolts
RfotArDm.jpg

New Excel Rims Laced Up

I laced up the front and rear hubs with new Excel rims and Buchanan spokes.I had called the Excel USA tech guys and they were very helpful giving me the correct part numbers. The front rim is Excel ICG408 21 x 1.60 x 36 Hole and the rear rim is Excel FEG410 18 x 2.15 36 hole. These rims bolt right up without any problems BUT the stock spokes will not work and the excel rims require Buchanan or another bigger aftermarket spoke.

Also, the guys at Buchanan really helped a lot. Kenny Buchanan told me in the 1984 production run for Suzuki RMs that the supplier for the Suzuki hubs changed three times so there are three different variations in the spokes for this model RMs. I had to ship my hubs to Buchanan so they could identify which spokes my RM used. (You could just send your old spokes but I had already cut mine with an angle grinder.):D

Here is a picture of start of the assembly of the rear wheel. Everything went smooth, no problems at all.

yOEotVCm.jpg

Ko9bVH1m.jpg

uBoRDrem.jpg

Here is the front.

h9ORArUm.jpg

BgjM6IIm.jpg

Both rims finished up.

weqhIEtm.jpg

jBuW89hm.jpg

Looking very smart, looking forward to seeing it finished...

Suzuki will want to buy it from you to put in their museum! :)

Swingarm Bearings Install

Made some more progress yesterday.

Bearings installed into the swingarm using a motion pro 20mm bearing driver. Suzuki manual called for bearing numbers to be facing outward and each bearing to be driven 7mm into the swingarm. Very easy install, just make sure that your inner swingarm and bearing are clean and lightly greased. My garage was so darn cold that I didn't need to put the bearings is a freezer.:eek:

54May6Wm.jpg

IPNlMO6m.jpg

ukdFZQnm.jpg

kDann3vm.jpg

I packed a heavy amount of BelRay salt water proof grease into the bearings then the seals, then the outer spacer before I installed the bushings, then the inner spacer.

iYWSNNhm.jpg

JmpNpgfm.jpg

VkL1Moom.jpg

Swingarm bolted up.

LZlNhlzm.jpg

rAeFTRom.jpg

Brake Pedal Install

One more picture of the installed swingarm.

kERvBgsm.jpg

Installed brake pedal.

D2QBhkXm.jpg

IdKqAZKm.jpg

This is where we are so far on this build. The four suspension rod linkage bearings should be here today. I just ordered a set of Goldentyres, a GT216AA 80/100-21 "Razor Blade" for the front and a GT523X "Gummy" for the rear.

Yl7IK4am.jpg

New Parts

A lot of new parts are rolling into the garage.

18 and 21 Tubliss.
rYc3mDym.jpg

Goldentyre 216 Razor front tire with tubliss mounted on the new excel rim with Buchanan spokes. This was very easy to install.To the left is the unmounted rear Goldentyre Gummy GT523X, looks very wide doesn't it?
54vjU69m.jpg

This is the rear gummy mounted up with the tubliss. This tire took a little more time to mount but it wasn't bad.I used armour all to coat the tubliss components and soapy water to seal the system. i bought two of these rear GT523x gummys, the other one is going on the gasser.
cTW5GJYm.jpg

7yaaL81m.jpg

This is a VForce 3 Reed from a 1987 250/500 Quadracer, it is supposed to bolt straight into my RM cylinder. V3110-87. Also, this other part is a moose torque reed spacer. This should increase the bottom end and the cylinder has already been ported by Josh at ProCircuit and Josh milled the head to run on pump gas.
igkbNQxm.jpg

Last edited:
Mitaka Alloy Clutch Basket

My stock Suzuki clutch basket is on the left and the Mitaka clutch basket is on the right. My stock basket was in very good shape but the stock basket cushions had play in them. The Mitaka basket is supposed to be stronger than stock. Disassembly of the stock basket was very simple, just use a drill bit to grind the head off the rivets holding the retaining plate, then pry the ring gear off with a screwdriver and push out the cushions by hand.

ifOVE0pl.jpg

d6NeUqfl.jpg

The stock cushions have a metal ring around each cushion.
bHHdqiAl.jpg

The new cushions do not have the metal ring around the cushions. The new cushions fit very tightly on the ring gear. I applied a light amount of assembly lube on the cushions because that is what Rekluse reccomends per their clutch baskets, and the Mitaka instructions did not address this step. Then just press the ring gear onto the basket by hand making sure that everything is level and tight against the clutch basket. Unlike a CR 250, you do not need a press to remove and install the ring gear and you do not need to freeze or heat the ring gear for disassembly/assembly.

wpoxrt5l.jpg

FXcZEjwl.jpg

I tightened the supplied retaining plate bolts to 80 inch pounds which is about 6.6 foot pounds as required by the Mitaka instructions using blue loctite. I would recommend being very careful on this step because it would be very easy to overtighten these bolts and break them.

1SgoMG7l.jpg

Rekluse recommends peening the retainer bolts but the Mitaka bolts do not pass completely through the basket so I could not peen them.
9PQdJxll.jpg

Vforce 3 Reed and Moose Torque Reed Spacer

I just checked the fit of the VForce 3 reed with the ported cylinder and the Moose Torque Reed Spacer. Everything fits perfect. :D

nHzJ3h4l.jpg

MoD49vil.jpg

lV8pQCJl.jpg

Fi8iuKYl.jpg

kTKPGPul.jpg

ZTQKS3kl.jpg

asQJBXXl.jpg

Need Replacement Rear Shock

The guys at Works Enduro Rider just called me. Bad news, they say my rear shock shaft chrome is hammered maybe the shock body too.Does anyone know what years of RMs 125/250/500 interchange with this model 1984 RM 250 E?

Back