Air box boot rubbing on shock spring

nknudsen

On my 11' conversion my shock spring is lightly rubbing on the air box boot at mid shock stroke. There is plenty of room when the bike is on the stand. Has anyone heated or done anything to the boot to gain a bit more clearance? This is the back side of the spring that faces the air box or back of the bike. Ideas? Thanks!

Last edited:
I get a little rubbing on my 2010 model, but thats due to removing the reed block spacer, and then also running a TTX shock with a larger OD spring. I tried some heat to increase the clearance, but at a certain point in the stroke it still makes contact. It has removed some paint off the spring, but other than that no issues. Zero effect on the air boot.

I get a little rubbing on my 2010 model, but thats due to removing the reed block spacer, and then also running a TTX shock with a larger OD spring. I tried some heat to increase the clearance, but at a certain point in the stroke it still makes contact. It has removed some paint off the spring, but other than that no issues. Zero effect on the air boot.

Thanks. Did the rubber respond well to heating and reshaping?

It softens up quite a bit when warm, and then sets well once it cools off. The hard part is keeping it how you need it during the cooling phase.

In the past I actually dropped the whole intake boot into a bucket of hot water. Made installation a breeze!

Back