Anyone Running Engine Ice?

lordfeyr

I am getting ready to change all the fluids on my 04 300 ec and a friend of mine seems to swear by Engine Ice.

Their website sure does state some wonderful things... I have not had any problems with overheating but am looking to add the crd radiator braces and msr guards...

From what Ive read some people have trouble with extra heat when running guards?

I use Engine Ice all the time. I use it because it because it's biodegradable. I just feel better having it around the house with pets and kids getting into stuff.

As far as it helping the overheating, I have no idea, I guess you would have to set up a thermostat and see if it actually kept the bike cooler.

I have been in some tough terrain and the only time I had overheating problems was when the radiator cap got old and I had to buy a new one.

I am not sure if its the same thing or not, but I use Water Wetter in my XR650R because it was prone to overheat. My GG dosen't overheat so I never put it in there, but I do believe it helped my XRR in the slow stuff, and I think I bought it at Advance Auto so easy to get.

Last edited:
My buddy uses Engine Ice in his KTM to keep it from boiling over on tight technical stuff and it seems to work. I think he told me it doesn't have any anti-freeze properties though so you have to drain it during winter in cold climates.

i ran engine ice it in a husky 4t and a yz426 - both still overheated regularly.......(but less often with engine ice...)

i switched to maxima coolanol and have never had a problem..but then again i only run 2t now, so overheating has not been an issue..

My buddy uses Engine Ice in his KTM to keep it from boiling over on tight technical stuff and it seems to work. I think he told me it doesn't have any anti-freeze properties though so you have to drain it during winter in cold climates.

I think it is good to -20 degress F

I use it, only for convenience.
When I do a top end, I save the coolant and reuse it. Still looks good as when new.

+1, and should it spill for any reason it won't kill the dog. I works fine in the GG. If I had a 4-stroke, I'd run Evans NPGR for sure instead.

I have to disagree on the lack of antifreeze properties though. My bike sits in an unheated garage near the door, and has never frozen even in sub 0 temps.

I've been using Engine Ice since last summer, never had any problems in my Kdx 220. Didn't use it at all in my XC300. I've heard of some 250f MX'ers complain of overheating while at the starting gate, but they also have overheated w/ other coolants as well.

I run Engine Ice in my RC51 because most tracks will let me run it as coolant while regular anti-freeze is a definite no-no. I ran it in my 04 300EC for awhile, but I seemed to loose coolant much more rapidly with Engine Ice. I switched back to regular anti-freeze and it goes much longer without adding coolant. The RC51 has a recovery tank, so coolant loss is not a problem in it. Both guard against freezing.

I stopped using engine ice because it left a scaley blue film in the cooling system.
The scaly film was pretty thick in the water pump housing.
Next time you pick up a container of engine ice give it a shake and you'll see a lot of stuff floating around in it.
I have since switched to Maxma coolanol.

Evans coolant is all I have used in my past three bikes. I currently have a rmz450 I race enduros with that never overheats. Its the same coolant all the bike offroad teams use now. My current ride was the third bike strang raced last year and it came with it in it. Looking into buying a 300 soon. Never raced a two stroke before.

We used it when we raced miatas. some places, Barber Motorsports, wouldn't allow regular anti-freeze/coolant as it damaged their manicured track. Seemed to work OK, we ran on some very, very hot days.

I have been using it for 5 or 6 years and it seems to work well except altitudes over 10,000~', the bike still overheated just not as bad.

Back