calming the hit down....

stainlesscycle

Site Sponsor
so, i just put a 300 motor into my 200 frame, and i'm trying to calm it down a bit. it pulls front end up pretty easy in 4th... i know with time i will get used to it, but i don't have a lot of time right now...

the problem i have is this:

13/52 gearing, xc200 cdi, 2k1 ignition, 9oz fww, messico pipe.

all of these factors make it pretty wheelie prone...

i can't change anything but jetting and timing today.

it's jetted:
178 main
45 pilot
ddk needle
3rd position
#7 slide

there's a pretty substantial hit on it at 1/4 - 1/2 throttle.

i'm assuming i can tame it a bit by moving to #4 position on needle and retarding the timing a degree or 2.... any other suggestions?

I would think a G2 throttle cam system would help delay and smooth the early hit. And a heavier flywheel weight, or a 2k3 ignition, a rekluse Zstart or revloc Dyna Ring with a bit of clutch slipping, would all be helpful. Any one or a combination of two or more together could give U what your looking for imo.

so, i just put a 300 motor into my 200 frame, and i'm trying to calm it down a bit. it pulls front end up pretty easy in 4th... i know with time i will get used to it, but i don't have a lot of time right now...

the problem i have is this:

13/52 gearing, xc200 cdi, 2k1 ignition, 9oz fww, messico pipe.

all of these factors make it pretty wheelie prone...

i can't change anything but jetting and timing today.

it's jetted:
178 main
45 pilot
ddk needle
3rd position
#7 slide

there's a pretty substantial hit on it at 1/4 - 1/2 throttle.

i'm assuming i can tame it a bit by moving to #4 position on needle and retarding the timing a degree or 2.... any other suggestions?

I would think moving the needle richer would soften it a bit

As mentioned.

Throw a 48T on the rear, or a 14T up front (if they fit).
Richening the jetting up will dull things down at the expense of fuel economy.
A heavier flywheel will help too!

What have you got available in the short amount of time? Whats easiest to do? I'm thinking countershaft sprocket and some jetting mods.

hah, i got no time...i have a race tomorrow, built the motor yesterday... (blew my regular 200 motor up on thursday)

well, i realized a few issues - when i built the motor i only had 1 base gasket (the thinnest one....which is what i had...) so i've probably got somewhere north of 200psi compression. it was pinging a tiny bit when it got hot and full adavance - so i backed up the timing another degree and put some 110 octane in. no more pinging. still has no problems with 4th gear roll on power wheelies... the 13/52 gearing is killing me - but i guess i'lll just roll around in 3rd and 4th tomorrow...

obviously if i had some time, i'd throw a 2k3 in it with big fww, and go 13/48 or so, but i've got neither on hand, so it should be exciting...

the biggest change is normally i'm winding my 200 out. with the 300 i'm forced to change my throttle control and rethink my whole power delivery - losing traction wasn't much of an issue with the 200. with the 300 it's gonna be a major issue......just gotta learn to lug it i guess.

i'll just deal with it and see how it goes..

Given the time issue.......ride a gear higher....it's a 300 hundo!:rolleyes:

Ride 2 gears higher!!

It almost makes me want to drop a 52T on the back of mine :eek:
When I think about it though I'm really never that hard into the revs when the going gets tighter and more technical. Good luck mate! :D

given your time constraints, i would say short term- change up the timing a little, maybe sacrifice the fuel economy and richen the jetting, and/or ride a gear up, then change it back when you have time to make other modifications. long term- change out the rear or front sprocket, g2 throttle, flywheel weight and/or maybe a different pipe. or heck, just get really really good at riding on one wheel!

De-tuning EC300

I would stick with it for a few weeks to see if you can get to live with it. Learn to use the throttle more smoothly and ride higher gears.

If you still struggle then I would be tempted to try putting thicker base gaskets in to reduce the compression ratio.
I pepped mine up by going down to a single gasket (0.5mm I think).

i definitely need to go to 13/48 setup. (sorry lankydoug, the 52 is shot - i was gonna replace it this week anyways...) or maybe 50t...

it was definitely a learning experience - to keep traction i had to ride 2 gears higher, lotsa tire spinning., but it would climb anything from a dead stop in 4th or 5th gear.. neato. a lot less work on the hills. almost lazy. i also never really needed to open up it up - grunting around got the job done - although i sucked...

on a side note, my header mount loosened or broke toward the end of the race, really sucked, also my rear brake rotor is shot, and had no rear brake.. nice to have multiple dilemmas at once.

i can definitely learn to like the 300 - just need a much bigger flywheel weight (stalled it about 10 times - that tiny ignition doesn't wanna keep turning), proper gearing, and some seat time.

as for the base gasket, i have a .015 on it - which probably makes the squish tiny. with 110 octane it was a non-issue. i'd hate to always have to run race gas though.

Last edited:
Back