carb question

I'll take photos and stuff next time its out. Probably when my smart carb arrives :D N-Green was going to do some back to back tests with the notched slide out of his mates ktm. They have been doing lots of back and forwards testing. Think hes up to testing his 36-39 oval bored AS2 now.

Haven't actually done that test yet. Have done back to back test between carbs though. I took my mates 36mm ASII from his '11 Kato 300 and ran that while he played with my 36x39mm oval bored ASII.

Results are that whilst the oval bore improved his power everywhere it made the power plain scary through the mid and especially the top. I played with a few different settings using the 36mm and while very happy with the bottom and mid always found the top end boring and lacking.

We swapped back and I had my first run with the oval bore yesterday, I was running rich everywhere but despite this wow it has improved things everywhere especially my top end. This things hauls ass now. Can't wait to actually get the jetting sorted and see what happens then.

When/if that happens and I'm bored one day I may literally pull my #6.5 notched slide out and swap it for mates #7 notched slide and see if it makes any difference at all. Can't see half a slide cut being too dramatic though?

I wouldn't underestimate the difference half a slide number could make. Half a clip position can make a significant difference, as can a pilot size/change in needle diameter. Again I guess it all depends on the particular carb and how sensitive it is to changes. I know with my ASII that I can significantly feel the difference between a 175 main and a 180.

I'm also looking forward to seeing how the smartcarb performs once the cast models start shipping out. I'll be a bit lost when that time comes. What will I play with then?

IMO slides make a big difference, and if not right will give you fits trying to compensate with needles.

Makes sense. I probably will have a play with it just out of curiosity. I just hope it's not better otherwise I may convince myself I need one. Then again smart carb will null and void that soon enough.

IMO slides make a big difference, and if not right will give you fits trying to compensate with needles.

Maybe that's why I can never seem to get my bottom end completely sorted. It's either too rich and burbly or too lean, both requiring air screw or pilot compensation to fix it. Then again that's only based on JD needles, yet to tinker with my Suzuki needles.

Maybe..

With the NEDx needles you will probably find them too lean too if you found the JD Red too lean. The NEDx needles start lean and progressively get richer over 3 tapers which is why they give a smooth transition. JD Red is more like the N3xx needles I use, however supplies a bit more fuel through the mid so it doesn't hit as hard.

FWW I had to try all combinations of needle diameters and pilots from F through to J, 35 through to 45, to find the one that would idle well, start well, pull cleanly, but still retain grunt. As per my last post my experiences have shown all it takes is to be one step in the wrong direction for it to be not quite right.

Steve, your right, the only difference then between carbs set up the same is that notch. Slightly more area with same needle straight section in the nozzle equals slightly leaner condition. The bike runs VERY similar with #7 slide/45 pilot, and #7 notched slide/48-50 pilot.

This is why the leaner dia needles (NECH, NEDH)were especially very wrong and gave me fits. Bike likes the richer JD Blue as did all my 250s and hauls ass with it!

Honestly I'm tired of this crap, there are many things I like to do regarding dirt bikes but screwing with jetting is not one of them, too time consuming. Like cleaning filters. I know from experience what the bike should run like and once its there I'm done. Thats why I just bought myself a Smartcarb for XMas.

I had a laugh when I read this cos I fully agree.....
"Honestly I'm tired of this crap, there are many things I like to do regarding dirt bikes but screwing with jetting is not one of them, too time consuming. Like cleaning filters."

I have changed setups about 40 times trying to find a nirvana, only to find out that I needed a new CDI and stator.....anyways I am at this setting for my 05 EC250

NEDW#2
180 main
45 Pilot
A/S 2.75
#7 slide
DEP pipe

do most of my riding at sea level.

had DDK in it with same jets but it wouldn't idle

I am still not happy with 1/8 throttle, it burbles in any gear, eg riding at a constant speed along a flat road where I don't need more than 1/8 its quite annoying but apart from that once i open her up she's a weapon,

any suggestions on this set up ie clip positions? The needles I have are NECW, DDK, N1EF,
N3EW

Its doing my head in trying to smooth out 0-1/8 throttle, maybe I should just accept that this is the best it will run?

Back