Carb removal - EC300 m.y. 2009

Mikeyx

Due to an uncontrolled wheelie, I had to jump off the bike. Now the carb slide is stuck to the carb ceiling. My ass hurts, but that is another issue...

Now this is my first dirt bike... How do I get to the carb? There is not enough room to detach the carb either from the air cleaner housing or from the short piece of rubber hose connecting it to the engine.

Do I have to remove the rear/side panels so that I can remove the air cleaner housing first or what is the preferred way of getting to the carb? If the panels need to be removed, any pointers to a newbie?

If you only need to get to the slide then you should just be able to loosen the clamps on both sides of the carb and then rotate it towards you. Remove the top and you should have full access to the slide. If you need to remove the carb push it as far as you can into the air boot. The air boot is also fairly flexible and you should be able to push it towards the rear of the bike to give it a little more clearance as well. You should then have just enough space to either remove the rubber boot on the front of the carb or just pull the whole carb out. It can be a fairly tight fit though.

Thanks for the tip! How simple and how obvious - and how not figured out by Yours Truly in the first place :o.

The user manual suggests that the air filter element should only be greased around its perimeter and not oiled - really?

Thanks for the tip! How simple and how obvious - and how not figured out by Yours Truly in the first place :o.

The user manual suggests that the air filter element should only be greased around its perimeter and not oiled - really?

The air filter element definitely needs to be oiled all over but some people also use a type of air filter grease on the part of the filter that seals to the airbox to give it a better seal. So that may be what the manual is referring to.

If you only need to get to the slide then you should just be able to loosen the clamps on both sides of the carb and then rotate it towards you. Remove the top and you should have full access to the slide. If you need to remove the carb push it as far as you can into the air boot. The air boot is also fairly flexible and you should be able to push it towards the rear of the bike to give it a little more clearance as well. You should then have just enough space to either remove the rubber boot on the front of the carb or just pull the whole carb out. It can be a fairly tight fit though.

To add to the above:
On the models after 2000, the fuel tank is fairly close to the top of the carb, making it hard to "do the swivel thing" with the carb.
I will remove the retaining strap from the rear of the tank and raise it to make more room to work. I place a screwdriver under the tank to keep it there while I work.

Back