Care For This Job

I think going down would be worse, you would have to look down to place your feet on a lot of those rungs.

I think going down would be worse, you would have to look down to place your feet on a lot of those rungs.

Wow now that gave me the willies...I'm not scared of heights and I'm on extension ladders lots with my job but come on that's a little to much.

If I had to do it I would definitely be wearing a chute for an easy return home.
Base jump or nothing...:D

Well, if the guy climbing rides dirt bikes...I bet he doesn't gets arm pump. LOL

There is no way I would do that...NO WAY!

I went to school with a kid that climbed cell towers for work.

When I go up to Lake Placid, NY in the winter there is a spot on the way where I stop sometimes to watch guys climb a frozen waterfall. Takes balls IMO, and a lot of trust in your gear. Nowhere near as high as this but after you pass a certain height does it matter?:eek:

i have a friend who does this for a living. travels all over to service stuff at the top of towers. needless to say, he makes great money doing it.

he tells me some crazy stories.

his take on it, he's been doing it for 15 years:

you need to be in incredible shape, some of the smaller towers (300-1000 ft) are all climbing. he says he can spend 2 hours + climbing a day to do 15 minutes of work.

he says the monopoles are the worst.

and he said that for the first 6 months he worked almost exclusively 1 handed (would not let go with other hand.) - now he says he's so used to it, that it's easy to forget how high you are.

he also told me that he's seen new guys freeze up there, and not move for quite some time. and he says it's all easy until you are above the tree line. anyone can climb the first hundred feet. after that it takes a whole 'nother kind of person.

I imagine its about managing your fear in a way that tempers boldness, not succumbing to it but not ignoring it either. I've been quite successful in doing this to the other extreme, inside shipwrecks deep under water. I think if I wanted a new challenge in overcomming fear this would be a top contender.

i have a friend who does this for a living. travels all over to service stuff at the top of towers. needless to say, he makes great money doing it.

he tells me some crazy stories.

his take on it, he's been doing it for 15 years:

you need to be in incredible shape, some of the smaller towers (300-1000 ft) are all climbing. he says he can spend 2 hours + climbing a day to do 15 minutes of work.

he says the monopoles are the worst.

and he said that for the first 6 months he worked almost exclusively 1 handed (would not let go with other hand.) - now he says he's so used to it, that it's easy to forget how high you are.

he also told me that he's seen new guys freeze up there, and not move for quite some time. and he says it's all easy until you are above the tree line. anyone can climb the first hundred feet. after that it takes a whole 'nother kind of person.

What is considered "great money"???

he makes about $45 an hour + travel and per diems. great pay is relative, but for a low skill job (aside from climbing and risk factors) i think that's pretty good money....

i haven't talked to him in a while, he was working lotsa hours when cell towers were going up everywhere..

he would get all excited about this tower he had to service a couple times a year at like 1200 feet..

i freak out at about 40' on a scissor lift. but i have no problem to about 75' a tree.. something about the free standing platform that i don't like.

Back