EC 300 smoking and bog down problems!!!

Mcurtis25

I have a 2017 ec 300 which has had several problems arise, all at once it appears. First coolant would periodically leak from the overflow, sometimes in excess, but the drip/pour would sometimes stop if the cap was removed and reapplied, so I ordered a new cap that had yet to arrive before I started billowing smoke one day. A service tech suggested malfunctioned cylinder head o rings, as in burning coolant, so I inspected the cylinder and piston, replaced all gaskets and o rings, and the problem still persists. The bike doesn?t fire immediately like it normally would, billows smoke, and is bogged badly/slow. The pipe also started splooging which has never happened at all on this bike. I?ve read about crank seals some, just don?t want to take anything else off and not have the precise answer and part. Before this happened bike ran practically flawlessly, no splooge, fouled plugs, excessive smoke, bog, nothing, ran like a champ!Any help would be appreciated! Gotta get this thing back ripping the woods up!

Maybe a little water just due to the consistency that it flowed out of the expansion chamber when cold. But the plug just looks normal, a little black, and smoke is thick and white, ran it after reassembly and it seemed to die down marginally at a higher rpm but power was still down, and immediately started smoking bad again after it revs down. Case oil is visibly low after that reassembly run, and still after engine cooled

. Case oil is visibly low after that reassembly run, and still after engine cooled
Is the oil level lower than when you started? If so, it burns the gearbox oil due to a leak between the crancase and the gearbox, most likely due to a failed seal at the RH end of the crankshaft.

It is possible you have a crack in the cylinder or a warped head. How did the cylinder base gasket look?

I think the case oil did lose some. And cylinder and head looked to be in good condition, base gasket was replaced. I guess I?ll drain the case and pull the right cover now. Any way the water pump could be causing anything related to this?

It is possible you have a crack in the cylinder or a warped head. How did the cylinder base gasket look?

This is where I would be looking, as it appears your are pressurizing the coolant system and also burning coolant. I would be looking for a crack or a bad seal/gasket around the coolant passages.

Just pulled the main drain plug, that case oil is pretty transparent and thin compared to what a typical oil Change would be

Just pulled the main drain plug, that case oil is pretty transparent and thin compared to what a typical oil Change would be

Pull the crank case drain plug underneath the crank case. You will be looking to see if any coolant drains out. This will tell you if you have a crack or leak at one of the coolant passages where it intersects the case, cylinder, or head.

Pull the crank case drain plug underneath the crank case. You will be looking to see if any coolant drains out. This will tell you if you have a crack or leak at one of the coolant passages where it intersects the case, cylinder, or head.

Yep that is what I was pointing to. If the oil is not milky there is no water in it.

While that may fix the one problem he still has the coolant problem which is likely either a warped head, bad casting or bad gasket.

When you changed the bottom base gasket, how thick was the gasket? The GG kits come with a paper shim gasket that is very thin and is a spacer that gets used with another gasket because it is not intended to be used by itself.

While that may fix the one problem he still has the coolant problem which is likely either a warped head, bad casting or bad gasket.

When you changed the bottom base gasket, how thick was the gasket? The GG kits come with a paper shim gasket that is very thin and is a spacer that gets used with another gasket because it is not intended to be used by itself.

When I got down to it there was just one gasket on, the larger main one, but I had ordered the paper as well so placed it on top of the bigger one when I was re assembling.

Back