EFI- Who wants to try it out?

pscook

Platinum Level Site Supporter
I know that someone successfully built an EFI system for an RZ350, what does anyone think about something like this? It would put Jakobi out of business, but then he'd have more time to learn suspension. ;)

Thoughts?

I'm out! Looks like alot of crap to put in a small space.

Great if you get paid to race. To much to go wrong for the weekend warrior or the race for fun guy.

Just my smelly opinion!

Looks interesting. Something I'd like to try on another bike first to see how it all works out. I personally think an add on isn't the way forward though and I'd much rather see direct injection with the fuel being injected right under the spark. Show me a brand willing to do this and i'll buy their bike. If it handles like crap I'll put the engine in the Gasser chasis :D

Now that cracked me up!
I may be going to an Olins setup, so I'm all for Jakobi figgerin' that out, too!

Seconded and passed! Okay Jakobi, you have your marching orders. You figured out jetting for everyone, now git to the suspenders! We'll take the EFI project since it doesn't have needles, screws, jets, or floats to confuse and misdirect.

I dunno, I'm interested. Maybe when I win the lottery, my daughter graduates from high school, and the wife lets me out to the garage without a major motion through the executive steering committee I can do this. I'll keep you all posted.

But seriously, 34mm (small bike) TB or the 38mm 400-800cc TB? I know that smaller carbs drive better torque, is that what the factory thought regarding the 36mm carb? I might have a look at a full package price and go from there. Will need a 2K3 ignition, though. Hm. And the price starts to increase...

34mm bored out. I have a 2K3 to start with.. and am/was qualified in the IT field. Maybe the electronic mapping and programming will be right down my alley :cool:

Seriously though.. No time for tinkering here. I need to get the bike out of the shed and start putting this suspension and engine to work! I'll set up direct injection on the 300 head ready to rock out next top end.. Plan? haha.. I wish!

I have experience with the Sagem/Optimum system they used on the Cannondale(and older Triumph Speed Triple), from re-engineering the power and harnessing (SSRs) to doing custom maps by hacking the files with a hex editor. This would be fun to play with, but not worth the effort and added complexity. I want DI, where it will be worth it. The power increase and spread from a 250/300 2stroke will make 4strokes obsolete. Also, no big pipe to smash.

I have experience with the Sagem/Optimum system they used on the Cannondale(and older Triumph Speed Triple), from re-engineering the power and harnessing (SSRs) to doing custom maps by hacking the files with a hex editor. This would be fun to play with, but not worth the effort and added complexity. I want DI, where it will be worth it. The power increase and spread from a 250/300 2stroke will make 4strokes obsolete. Also, no big pipe to smash.

you mean with a DI for a 2stroker, there's no need for a expansion chamber exhaust anymore?
:confused:

Looks interesting. Something I'd like to try on another bike first to see how it all works out. I personally think an add on isn't the way forward though and I'd much rather see direct injection with the fuel being injected right under the spark. Show me a brand willing to do this and i'll buy their bike. If it handles like crap I'll put the engine in the Gasser chasis :D
there's allready is a brand that makes snowmobiles that uses DI on 2strokes but not shure wich one...

Can-Am/Ski-Doo is who is running them, sounds like they are great, but I thought that I heard reliability was a bit of an issue?

NHrider who used to be on here often has a DI SkiDoo he ran the crap out of for a couple seasons now without a hitch.

Bombardier Recreational Products.

They own Rotax, Ski-Doo and Evinrude "Discover our Ski-Doo & Lynx snowmobiles, Sea-Doo watercraft & sport boats, Can-Am ATVs & Spyder roadsters, Evinrude Outboard engines and Rotax engines & karts."

DI is the future for 2 strokes and Rotax are Damn good at building 2 stroke engines, they used to power all the Aprilia GP bikes and no one could touch em.

I hope that ALL 2 strokes go this way as it keeps the 2 stroke engine alive !!

Injection is far superior to carburation on all levels.

It may cost more but less 'F' ing around with jets and needles

Only my opinion of course

Back