First Ride Impressions 2011 250 Race

Its about effective squish, which is a function of the clearance, band width, and angle. You can (and will) get more effective squish with a more narrow band that is closely matched to the piston dome and at the proper clearance across its width. Stock, they are usually tightest at the cyl wall and get sloppy toward the center. You can't fix this with base gaskets.

As always Glen has managed to shed even more light on a subject without making it overly mind boggling! Love your work mate!

I've got about 6 hours on the bike now, and I finally had time to play around with the setup a little more. I added the Fastway Fit I handguards, Scotts stabilizer, Watchdog computer, and carb mounted choke.

I also had a chance to play with the jetting a bit. I've tried three needles now; N1EF, N3EW and NEDW. I definitely prefer the NEDW for woods riding. As stated many times before it gives a smooth delivery. My PJ was a little too rich for today's conditions, but I didn't want to make many changes since we won't have too many more days in the 60's around here in January!

What's the difference between the NEDW and NECW needles? I'm afraid the NEDW may be too rich when it warms up into the 80's and 90's, but I'm thinking it is leaner than the NECW.

I'm still digging the suspension! I could race it as is, but I won't know how rough it will be on my lower back until I actually race it. After changing a few clickers it's pretty darn close, and still breaking in.

Although it's taken some time to get used to working on it, and to get it set up the way I like it, I really like this bike!

Last edited:
Hopefully the pictures show up this time.

Attachments

• DSCN0667 small.jpg
    DSCN0667 small.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCN0669 small.jpg
    DSCN0669 small.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN0670 small.jpg
    DSCN0670 small.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 68
I've got about 6 hours on the bike now, and I finally had time to play around with the setup a little more. I added the Fastway Fit I handguards, Scotts stabilizer, Watchdog computer, and carb mounted choke.

I also had a chance to play with the jetting a bit. I've tried three needles now; N1EF, N3EW and NEDW. I definitely prefer the NEDW for woods riding. As stated many times before it gives a smooth delivery. My PJ was a little too rich for today's conditions, but I didn't want to make many changes since we won't have too many more days in the 60's around here in January!

What's the difference between the NEDW and NECW needles? I'm afraid the NEDW may be too rich when it warms up into the 80's and 90's, but I'm thinking it is leaner than the NECW.

I'm still digging the suspension! I could race it as is, but I won't know how rough it will be on my lower back until I actually race it. After changing a few clickers it's pretty darn close, and still breaking in.

Although it's taken some time to get used to working on it, and to get it set up the way I like it, I really like this bike!

I read on here that the NEDW is richer than the NECW by half a clip. Jakobi posted it somewhere, just search a bit and you can find it. I'll look a bit and see what I can find. But I am pretty sure that C is leaner than D.

Confirmed.

NEDx is a half a clip richer than NECx
x = diameters. E,F,G,H,W,J,K (richest to leanest)

Same principles apply with Yamaha needles
N3Ex vs N3Cx

So you guys are running the KTM tower for the Scotts right? Any flex/slippage problems? I think I'll do what I did on my '07, use the BikeBonz with a home made damper mount plate.

Confirmed.

NEDx is a half a clip richer than NECx
x = diameters. E,F,G,H,W,J,K (richest to leanest)

Same principles apply with Yamaha needles
N3Ex vs N3Cx

Thanks Jakobi! I've read a lot of your posts, and you've been a big help with jetting. So far the results that I've had with the needles have mirrored your results to a "T" even though I'm on a 250. I really appreciate you taking the time to post up your testing results.

So you guys are running the KTM tower for the Scotts right? Any flex/slippage problems? I think I'll do what I did on my '07, use the BikeBonz with a home made damper mount plate.

Yes, I'm using the tower of off my 2009 KTM. I had to file a spot on the bottom of the tower, since the gas gas head bearing protector has a larger diameter than KTM's, and I filed a groove at the very bottom of the bracket just above where the gas tank vent adapter is on the GG frame. Otherwise it fit right on. I've only used it for about 1.5 hours, but no issues so far.

Thanks Jakobi! I've read a lot of your posts, and you've been a big help with jetting. So far the results that I've had with the needles have mirrored your results to a "T" even though I'm on a 250. I really appreciate you taking the time to post up your testing results.

No worries mate. No use holding back info. I've been through the pain of testing and trying things so if it can be of any help to anyone else then thats a win.

Updated Dash

I made a new bracket for the Watchdog computer because I was always worried about the brake line or something getting caught on it when it was in front of the Scotts stabilizer. I added a pull type light switch to it also, which will replace the ignition mapping switch.

Attachments

• DSCN0734.JPG
    DSCN0734.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN0730.JPG
    DSCN0730.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN0729.JPG
    DSCN0729.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 45
You can also turn the Scotts around. This will allow you to lower the Watchdog a little more.

gasgasman,

I took your suggestion and lowered it about 3/4". I still have room to lower it more, but I'm going with it as is for now.

I also picked up a brand new FMF Gnarly for $105 shipped that I'm going to try out. It was a crazy deal....some guy got the pipe by mistake and had it sitting in his attic for a couple of years, and posted it for sale cheap after finding it. Snagged it!

Back