First try

GMP

OK, here is my first crack at the editing/YouTube video thing. I shot this in 960, and after some minor and crude editing in iMovie, just used the semi-automated option to export to Youtube. Sorry for the clicking noise, its the visor itself, going to chin mount next. Turn the sound down if it bugs you. A little long perhaps, next time shorter with music maybe. I can't say where this is hence the title, but the camera really shrinks the rocks and levels the hills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz0vgYnF20o&feature=player_detailpage

I dont know how to do video . But from a viewers perspective it was fine to me. Some people like music but I personally enjoy the engine sounds.:D

OK, here is my first crack at the editing/YouTube video thing. I shot this in 960, and after some minor and crude editing in iMovie, just used the semi-automated option to export to Youtube. Sorry for the clicking noise, its the visor itself, going to chin mount next. Turn the sound down if it bugs you. A little long perhaps, next time shorter with music maybe. I can't say where this is hence the title, but the camera really shrinks the rocks and levels the hills.

I like that Glenn, but you are right, that rattle will get to you. I shot some more last night at the r2 setting (720 @ 30 FPS) and I wasn't crazy about any of it. Started getting dark on the last segment but even the stuff with good light blurred very bad when I would turn my head etc, also it is wide angle and I found my neck getting tired while watching it as I was straining for a farther look down the trail. I'm going to try all the settings just to see what they look like but your 960 (I think that is the r4 setting?) looks good.

Your bike tracks well in those rocks and I thought you were going to go over that big boulder at about the 8 minute mark...

nice glen, I am confused about those oddly round looking things all over the trail, and that one big jack-daddy of one when you popped out of the forest? never seen such a thing?

The sand here is different, it has very big grains. :D

There are some boulders like that we do ride over and drop off of. Thats what happens when some trials riders cut trail! This trail is actually fairly smooth compared to some of the other technical stuff here. I was alone when I shot that so didn't want to go too crazy.

The bike does work very, very well in this stuff, thats why I cant see people selling them off due to suspension.

I like the 960 (R4) mode. Gives good vertical range so if you screw up the angle of the mount a bit its still a decent video.

how did you mount your camera ? i visored mine and dont hear anything
Its funny how rocks shrink and hills become invisible but i think visor mount shows the best view / perception of all the options
that trail looks alot like some of my spots
Stoby

I used the standard GoPro adhesive mount on the underside of the visor. Also the white rubber insert that takes the play out. The mount is solid, it has to be the visor that flexes and transmits the noise through the housing. I could try to find the exact source where the visor is hitting the helmet and isolate it with rubber or foam.

It looks a lot better in the native 960 on the Mac or HD TV than the rendered 720 and less that was uploaded.

Yes, where I ride is very much like New England.

I did the "slot in the visor" thing, and it seems pretty snug. no rattles, i just don't see many places for a rattle. you don't have any D-rings on the side of the helmet, had some on my auto-helmet, drove me nuts until I figured out what it was. all the visor screws tight and the one under the visor to keep it in place?

Not a loose visor, a flexing visor. Do you have a HJC helmet? The only thing it could be, checked all else. I'll figure it out soon and share. Just finished a shorter one from Hancock I'll upload tomorrow.

I copied rgrangers set up -slotting the visor worked great. Anyway your video was really good if you turned the sound off.... I havent ridden in more than a month so its good to watch
Stoby

My visor mount- 2 holes in the visor (1 3/8" from front edge), aluminum plate-drilled & tapped 10-32, 2 x 10-32 x 34" screws and 2 brass washers. Pros- very solid, doesn't interfere with view, at 1 3/8" back it also allows room for the LCD BacPac. Cons- so far all I can see is that it takes a screw driver to tighten mount. I haven't tried to 'finger tight' it yet to see if it would work loose.

Attachments

• Visor Mount 001.jpg
    Visor Mount 001.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Visor Mount 002.jpg
    Visor Mount 002.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Visor Mount.jpg
    Visor Mount.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 12
  • GoPro 003.jpg
    GoPro 003.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 13
  • GoPro 001.jpg
    GoPro 001.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 11
I like the slot in the visor it takes the mount out of the equation.Puts it up higher and closer to the helmet out of your sight line-don't even notice mine plus you dont add any extra weight mounts screws etc. to the visor just the weight of the camera and a piece of coathanger -or cotter pin .
Stoby

Rattle noise problem solved! :)

The HJC A3 Agent helmet I have has a visor that is actually three pieces! There is a small snap in trim piece on each side. Purely decorative like a vent grill look. There is a small amount of play in the fit, you can barely hear it when shaking the helmet. The vibration is conducted through the visor and mount to the GoPro housing and is picked up buy the camera as the loud rattle. Some adhesive on these fixed it right up and now its tight and quiet. A home brew mount would make no difference here, you would still get the noise. For now I'll stink with the GoPro mount as on this helmet with the visor adjusted up it is well out of the way.

Back