Gas tank off to re-jet?

NM_GG_Rider

I have a '15 300. I will fairly regularly have to rejet because I will be riding 8500' up in the mountains down to 4500' here in the valley of the deser.

I loosened up the front and back of the carb so I could twist it and get to the bottom of the bowl, however it just doesn't seem to want to twist enough to allow access. Am I missing something? Anybody else have luck w this, or do I truly need to take the tank off and remove the top of the carb to allow it to twist...?

Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Rob

On my carb I have to remove the top to twist the carb. This is one of the nice things about the AS1, it just twists off.

I bet, if you're getting a lot of elevation difference in one days riding, you could probably get most of your performance back with needle clip adjustments and the airscrew. Maybe even keep a spare needle with you that you know works at elevation. I much prefer changing needles to jets exactly because of how big a pain accessing the jets is. But maybe the "close enough" school of thought isn't what you're after.

Also, if I recall, you can remove both the main and the pilot through the 17mm drain bolt on the bowl of the AS2, which beats the hell out of taking the whole bowl off of the AS1.

yep, loosen - twist top towards you - remove top - pull out slide etc - twist other way to get to base of carb - remove drain bolt - swear because you forgot that there was still fuel in it and now it is p!ssing all over the floor - now you have access to main and pilot jet

- swear because you forgot that there was still fuel in it and now it is p!ssing all over the floor - now you have access to main and pilot jet

:) very true, just done this today!

But yes as stated above all can be done in place makes it quite quick to change things

Also, if I recall, you can remove both the main and the pilot through the 17mm drain bolt on the bowl of the AS2, which beats the hell out of taking the whole bowl off of the AS1.

I drill out an opening for the jet that is not accessible (cant remember if it is pilot or main) on the AS1 so that you can access both main and pilot without removing the float bowl. Once the float height is set I do not like taking that float bowl off.

It's the pilot on the AS1 that requires the whole bowl to be removed. It seems like when I was looking at it the only way to modify it would be to take a half-moon shape right outta the threads for the 17mm plug - it definitely crossed my mind as soon as I saw what a PITA it is.

All above is true for the pre 12 chassis. The new frame is less generous in terms of clearance between the frame rail, the fuel tank, throttle cable, and carb cap. I've always just removed the tank to get access to the carb cap. If you need the lower jets (pilot/main) you can flip the carb around once the slide is removed.

The 11 and earlier you could do all the above with the tank in place.

Sounds like a perfect candidate for a smart carb.. I hate twisting the carb, can't imagine taking the tank off on the trail side. Ick.

Sounds like a perfect candidate for a smart carb.. I hate twisting the carb, can't imagine taking the tank off on the trail side. Ick.

Cut the head, jet and forget.

I have a billet SC sitting in a box here right beside me, and a PWK installed in a bike that requires nothing more than a tweak of the air screw to get me year round.

Back