Gas tank problem

davedunaway

Gold Level Site Supporter
Prepping my 06-300 for the upcoming season and noticed the top screw that holds the rad shroud to the gas tank is stripped. Unfortunately there is no inserts so I will be forced to put in a wood screw. (gag) Any ideas on how to fix this another way.

GasGas 06-300
Ltr suspension mods
RB head and carb mods
Guts seat with extra tall foam
Pivot pegs
Flex handlebars
Scott's steering damper with sub mount
Tubliss inserts
Dunlop geomax 31 front and rear
Fmf gnarly

I remember this product called ptex...used to repair the bottom of skis.
It came in a candle stick, you lit one end and dripped it into the hole.
I think it might work as a repair option

Gas tank

Thanks guys, I'll give that a try. I bought new plastic for this season and the thought of jamming a wood screw into the old girl just doesn't seem right.

I had the same problem on an older KTM. Stuck a couple of lengths of toothpick into the hole to take up space and the stock hardware gripped outstanding. Worked so well that I never got around to repairing it in a more permanent way.

I have used a soldering iron and melted some zip ties into the holes to tighten them up.

I have some of the inserts from McMaster and will mail you a couple if you pm me your address. They work awesome too.

Part # 94510A050

I memory serves me correctly I trimmed an 1/8" off the knurled end. At 1/2" long, I felt I was pushing the limit on the depth of the plastic around hole.

how about heating up an m6 nut then pushing it into the tanks plastic.. if it doesnt stay put use some super glue or loctite to hold the nut in then use a small m6 cap screw or something similar.. let me know what you think as im considering this on m tank..

Back