KYB fork swap

I understand you like the tight steering, but you should have a positive stop. One good hit with the forks against the frame and you'll have dents in the fork uppers. That in turn will mess up the fork internals when passing by that high spot. You could fab one up on the frame like the yamaha one and set your frame clearance to what ever you would like. I did mine at about .100 frame clearance but could be tighter if needed by grinding the stop down some.

Noah's got a good point. I had to replace a set of fork tubes on a Kawasaki KX250 (very similar to the GG in the frame department ;))for exactly that reason - the owner had crashed and actually sheared the steering stop off the lower triple. The next crash allowed the fork leg to arc into the frame and put a good crease in it - so much so that the fork stopped its upward travel when it got to that point.

Yes i know and i will install some Kind of stop. Right now the triple clamp hits the radiator guard before the fork leg has a chance to touch the frame. I like your welded solution, lets see....

The welded stop seems to be the best solution. However, I have one question:
I am afraid that welding right above the lower bearing will distort the frame slightly and make mounting the lowr bearing difficult. Is this something to worry about?

Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express

I would think that the radiator guard is no match for the T clamp in a crash, and it would continue to the frame. Another solution would be to design and machine up a stop plate that bolts to the lower T clamp and uses the GG frame as a stop as OEM. At the very least put some poly pipe/tubing on the fork leg for a pad.

The welded stop seems to be the best solution. However, I have one question:
I am afraid that welding right above the lower bearing will distort the frame slightly and make mounting the lowr bearing difficult. Is this something to worry about?

I had that same concern, but look at all the weld that GG puts on the back side of the lower bearing to frame area. I made sure the stop fit the profile of the frame perfect so the frame had no gap to pull into when welding. Even after welding the stop on, the race fit the same as before. I didn't even have to detail the bore area whatsoever.:D

I would think that the radiator guard is no match for the T clamp in a crash, and it would continue to the frame. Another solution would be to design and machine up a stop plate that bolts to the lower T clamp and uses the GG frame as a stop as OEM. At the very least put some poly pipe/tubing on the fork leg for a pad.

I prototyped a bunch of different stop designs in my head (some bolt on) and this was the strongest and most sane one I came up with.

The welded stop is awesome. The only thing that would have made it better is if you had made some extras so I could have bought one.;)

The welded stop is awesome. The only thing that would have made it better is if you had made some extras so I could have bought one.;)

:D That made me laugh! I should have built more, but that one was all done by hand. (band saw, carbide burr, sanding roll, bench belt sander) If I did a print, they could be cnc'd out pretty easy I guess.

:D That made me laugh! I should have built more, but that one was all done by hand. (band saw, carbide burr, sanding roll, bench belt sander) If I did a print, they could be cnc'd out pretty easy I guess.
I think I will do the same, make it by hand (or im my milling machine). If I should make more, I would draw a dxf file and give it to my local water jet cutters, as I have done for the front brake rotor.

I use the following parts:

-2009 KYB fork,
-2005 YZ250 after market triple clamp from Scar Racing France
-brake caliper adapter from Moto Mater Netherlands for Yamaha YZ for over size brake disc 260mm
-original GG brake caliper
-original GG Wheels with custom made spacer
-original GG axis
-original GG hanlde bar clamps
-original GG 20mm bearing assembly

I think that's it

I am working on a KYB fork conversion.

What model/year YZ brake caliper adapter did you buy? Do you have the Moto Master part number for the brake caliper adapter?

Thanks!

Here are some pictures.
Maybe my Fork is Not a 2009 but honestly spoken, i don't care because it works very very good

yrehepyb.jpg

neju3eve.jpg

ty8uzuda.jpg

sorry for the Bad quality, it was almost dark

I am thinking about selling my KYB Kit for GasGas, because I can get a A-Kit works fork from KYB. :D

What do you think can I get for:
48cc fork new service 2008 or 2009 from YZF250
brake calliper adapter from MotoMaster
triple clamp incl. bearings and nuts from Scar Racing

???

Back