HELP! Can't get riders motivated

gasgasman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here in the Houston area, we have the Sam Houston National Forest that we ride on.
The Sam Houston National Forest contains 161,154 acres of piney woods, rivers, and lakes within Montgomery, Walker, Grimes, and San Jacinto counties. Its existing 240 miles of trails include the 128 mile Lone Star Hiking Trail, 85 miles of multiuse trail, 20 miles of developing mountain-bike and hiking trails at Double Lake, a 5.3 mile Northern Wilderness Trail, 3 smaller trails in the Cagle Recreation Area, and a Veterans trail.

With all the Gov't budget cuts, there's only one Ranger to manage all this.
We have started the Sam Houston Trails Coalition. http://trailscoalitionoftexas.org/ We have members from all the multi use entities. Equestrian , Hikers, Bicycle and Motorized. There are work days etc. to help maintain the trails. The bicycle group has put on several events to raise money for the coalition.

My dilemma is. How do we get the motorized users motivated? It is pitiful how many off road riders show up for the meetings and to volunteer with trail work. We have thousands of riders that ride these trails. Currently, we have a combined total of 100 members.

For the work days, we feed everyone. A local bike shop has even donated sandwiches and drinks for this. Still a poor turn out.

The head Ranger has stated that, without the Trails Coalition, the trails would be CLOSED. Why would the people that use these trails allow that to even come to light?

I have volunteered several thousand hour of trail work over the years. I have walked in those shoes.

Sorry for the long post. Just trying to see how it is done elsewhere.

Sad symptom of the modern world.everybody wants easy,instant access without the hard yards.to be honest i bet most of the riders that use the trails have never even considered that someone has to maintain them.
This is what happens when govt conditions us to not think for ourselves.
Sorry i have no easy answer.here in nz there is very little public access for riding.instead there are regular organised rides/events thru private land.pay per rider.the proceeds are split between organiser/charity cause.because the trail is used only 1 or 2 times a year the damage is minimised and for the most part heals between rides.in this case the organiser is getting paid for trailwork and often gives volunteer a voucher for a free ride ($50).he still struggles to get volunteers at times though!
I personally find trail cutting quite enjoyable,most would consider it a chore and would rather pay $50 and not bother

I personally find trail cutting quite enjoyable,most would consider it a chore

I do too. When you walk the trail, you don't realize all the nasty stuff you run over.:D
A buddy of mine has 4 KTM skid plates he has found on the trail. I've found lots of tools etc.

After clearing a section of trail, we look back at it and comment on how good it looks. Kinda therapeutic.

I have some private land I have access too. Its open to about 10 people and 2 of us do all the work. Its fine though I need the work out.

Nothing better than getting access to a nice big block of private property and being allowed to explore! Hard work it may be, but the rewards are endless!

With a little bit of creativity, you could organize a "small contest/ride day" and put a small entrance fee, a podium and what not, they might get fouled to come ?
Find a way to get junior riders involved, good way to teach them a lot of things about cleaning and environmental effects. In turn parents might get also involved ?

I think combining work & pleasure might help pull more folks in.

It is a shame - but many won't do anything unless they get something in return for their time...

Make it sound like fun - riding and working mix. Never make it "just work".

Have raffle for products provided by local vendors.

I know of one national forest where they had work parties do several weekends and then had a final "party & organized ride" to thank everyone. At one I attended, they raffled off a motorcycle.. And at that same event, Les @ lt-racing donated free suspension work to a lucky person, etc.

jeff

I think combining work & pleasure might help pull more folks in.

It is a shame - but many won't do anything unless they get something in return for their time...

Make it sound like fun - riding and working mix. Never make it "just work".

Have raffle for products provided by local vendors.

I know of one national forest where they had work parties do several weekends and then had a final "party & organized ride" to thank everyone. At one I attended, they raffled off a motorcycle.. And at that same event, Les @ lt-racing donated free suspension work to a lucky person, etc.

jeff

That's a great idea! I tend to think that people, in general, want to help. Also I think that there is just a general lack of awareness. People don't quite understand what it takes and how they can fit into the puzzle to help. I know I have trouble staying in the loop in my own region. If I recieved an email with some information or there was an Instagram I could follow it would help. People are super busy these days. If something isn't on my google calendar. Then it pretty much doesn't happen.

Yeah thats prob your best bet,social media.set up a page and spread the word.or better yet,delegate,leaving you free to cut trail!
Some signage at main entrys/car parks with links might help to get started (as long as some ass doesnt tag it immediately).cast the net wide enough and who knows?

required workdays

our club here in southern MD, has a 2 workday requirement annually..
Plus dues, etc. We used to have a riding deal with Budds Creek, but that has changed. But,we do maintain a good relationship with the track owner, and flag/support the Pro race there every year. You've mentioned a "coalition" ,as opposed to a "club" organization.. are there clubs functioning in the region ? Get them involved...the "coalition" is likely mostly volunteers, yes ? No commitment there...
It would be a shame to loose any riding areas...we are having hard times in the DC/Baltimore region w land use/riding areas as well...
NIMBY, is alive and well here in the mid Atlantic ; noise, traffic, and dust/erosion are consistently brought up ....QUIET mufflers are becoming important

Great ideas from everyone!!:D

I'll pass these on to the board members.
Now I don't feel so bummed out.

Back