Honda rod and bearing crossovers

sweeper

Banned
Am gettin ready to send this crank out of this 99 ec200 to RB designs for rebuild.You can't really talk to the guy and I don't blame them.You can e-mail back and forth but thats pita too.So Id like to just get my act together on my end and send them what they need.

I've got a couple cr 250 rod kits new in the box we've had for years.I've looked through the threads but cannot find the answer I'm lookin for.I know they interchange but I haven't found a thread to confirm it will work in the 200 motor.
66.4x72 is the magic number for 250s.Honda started that combo and just about every other manufacturer uses and has for many years now.
Will the Honda rod cross to the 200?Has anyone actually done it.
Or is it a Gas Gas 250 crossover.Same bore and stroke as the Honda.
They could center the rod pin in a different place on the cranks of various models to make the rod universal I get that.
I like hearing from people that actually have done it or seen it done as opposed to somebody that has heard it can be done.Specifically with the 200.

Also got a "Hot Rod" here for the 250 Honda.
Anybody done that?Whole can of worms I know.But I got to thinking about this thread I read where a guy put a 250 barrel on the 200.Sounded like they were stacking gaskets and their was some discrepencies from other members wether the cases and barrels interchange.There are other considerations going that route also.Pipe,carb,timing etc.But the bikes are rare and if its an option down the road Id like to know the details.Sounded like the thing fell in the guys lap.He wasn't the builder.And the thread died.

As far as I could tell by the threads I found;only one main bearing will interchange between the Honda cr 250 and a Gasser.
All Gassers?
Has anyone done it in a 99-2000 ec 200?
Sounds like a Gas Gas 200 is the same as any other Gas Gas 200 engine spec wise.But again.I don't know that.I've heard that.
Who's the guy that knows?
Flywheel side only I've heard.Who knows that?
That for me would be a first.I've never had a 2 stroke dirtbike that used 2 different sized main bearings.

The Honda cr 250 engines are very durable.We have an 87 cr 250 engine with over 1200 hours and the cases have never been split.The stock cylinder still has the original nikasil plating.The pistons and rings weren't always replaced when they should have been either.But it was always jetted spot on.This particular Honda chassis was completely rebuilt twice around the engine.And is ready for a third time.

Point is,I trust the Honda stuff.
As far as the 300 goes.And even saw a thread where recently where guys were gonna put polaris snowmobile barrels on the 250s to make a 430.Its an Eric Gore thing so its legit.Mickey Mouse club isn't involved.
But I can tell you back in the day we ran 300 kits in the Hondas.
Made them a square 72x72 another familiar number these days.
But we could never keep cranks in them.We also ran ims wide ratio trans in them
The stocker bottoms were bullet proof.The 300 kit killed them.They were expensive to rebuild too.They had a hollow crank that few shops would touch.
The reason I'm posting this is I wouldn't use a stock Honda rod in a Gas Gas 300 even if it did interchange.I think it has to do with trying to pull a wider ratio gear box then anything else.

The GasGas 200, 250, and 300 (all years) use the same connecting rod kit. It is the same replacement rod kit as the CR250R. The wrist pin bearing is also the same as the CR250 (at least for the '88-'96 CR250R) and the TRX250R.

Originally, GasGas used the Hot Rods in their engines at the Factory.
I've always liked the Vesrah rod kits, but OEM Honda will work just fine.

Crank bearings are another matter entirely. They are not a crossover, as far as I know, though they are readily available at most any bearing shop.

Last edited:
I'm going to do a rebuild of my bottom end and was wondering if the CR250 connecting rod bearing fits the 2007 GASGAS 300EC. I can not seem to find that bearing listed on line. Only minimal play in it but thought I might as well replace while I have it all apart. If anyone can point me in the right direction would be great.

I'm going to do a rebuild of my bottom end and was wondering if the CR250 connecting rod bearing fits the 2007 GASGAS 300EC. I can not seem to find that bearing listed on line. Only minimal play in it but thought I might as well replace while I have it all apart. If anyone can point me in the right direction would be great.

Get the whole connecting rod kit. It doesn't cost much, compared to what you are getting. Connecting rods themselves are subject to metal fatigue, so you should normally get the whole kit.

The '88 to '96 CR250 (I'm sure about those years without checking.) connecting rod kit is what you want to get. I prefer the Vesrah con rod kit, for price and quality.

Good Riding and Wrenching to You!
Jim

I have used several different brands without issues including Hotrod, Versah and WhitePower. It is probably more critical that you find someone that can install it correctly.

I changed the main bearings in my '01 EC200 GG last fall, both mains are the same. I got them from a online Honda dealer.

I don't have the part numbers handy as I'm in the process of moving and am totally disorganized right now.

RB

Back