Just installed Lectron, now won't start. Tips?

pscook

Platinum Level Site Supporter
I just installed a Lectron 38 on my 300. The bowl filled to the line (all of the way to the top line on the front of the bowl). Now it won't start. Is there a chance it vapor locked? Any tips on first start with the Lectron?

Slide is fully closed when throttle is released.
Choke plunger up or down, doesn't matter.
Idle screw is touching slide, slide is not lifted by screw.

Now what? What gap should I have under the slide as a baseline?

Ive a 36 mm Lectron on my 2011 250, right from the very beginning it's been a hard starter when cold, 9 - 10 kicks most times, it fires first kick every time when warm. I've talked to Lectron about this and they say that it's not normal for there carbs to cause hard starting, they have offered to get to the bottom of it but I've not had the time to get together with them to find a solution, so I kick... What is you metering rod set at, if it's not set close it might be an issue. For what it's worth the Lectron has been an awesome addition to my bike, can't see being without it..

Ed..

idle screw

On my 300 the lectron started 1 kick usually on my 250 its quite a few kicks cold but I havent spent too much time dialing it in either
Are you getting fuel on your plug? NO-
Try turning the idle screw til it just touches and give it 3/4 turn and then go from there 1/4 turn at a time ,the slide has to be a little open for mine to even start
Are you positive that cable installed lets slide bottom out? Myself and others had issues with stock or motionpro cable being long enough.
Are you getting fuel on your plug YES - double check cables not too short installed and opening carb too much.
Good luck
My bike runs great with lectron I just was not happy with my whole cable debacle

Rich/Lean. Check the plug, or try opening the throttle some more. I don't recall mine being an issue to start at all, once dialled in.

When the temps are Arizona-warm, mine starts first kick, usually.

At a race a couple of weeks ago it was high 30s when we were unloading and firing up the bikes well before race time. It took a bunch of kicks and even then it took a while to spool up. By comparison my race mate's KTM 300 was kicking too, and was still kicking when I left for my trek to Registration and Tech. His was idling roughly by the time I got back while mine was quite zippy after I leaned out the Power Jet a quarter turn or so.

I'll try the idle screw 1/4 turn at a time tomorrow. Just got back after taking the wife's Passat on it's death ride. Complete loss of coolant, engine is toast. Pretty tired and focused on other things right now.

Merry Christmas? Maybe.

Mine started second kick at 6500 ft 25* F, the first one I had the ignition off. Doh! Make sure your cable is the right length, I had to up my idle about half a turn out of the box, but other than that it's been brilliant. :cool:

My slide was up from the bottom just barely, about 1.8" in the middle where the arch is. hope that helps.

Did you happen to forget a rag between the carb and the reeds by chance? not trying to be patronizing, it's just a mistake i've made after trying to keep crap out of the engine....

Last edited:
Is it flooded or no fuel? Did you try opening the throttle slightly while you were kicking it? If lean I suppose you could give it a shot of starter fluid to get it started then you can sort out the idle adjustments.

Mine started second kick at 6500 ft 25* F, the first one I had the ignition off. Doh! Make sure your cable is the right length, I had to up my idle about half a turn out of the box, but other than that it's been brilliant. :cool:

My slide was up from the bottom just barely, about 1.8" in the middle where the arch is. hope that helps.

Did you happen to forget a rag between the carb and the reeds by chance? not trying to be patronizing, it's just a mistake i've made after trying to keep crap out of the engine....
No rag, clean and clear opening to the carb. No chance to try anything today with all of the hullabaloo around the house.
Is it flooded or no fuel? Did you try opening the throttle slightly while you were kicking it? If lean I suppose you could give it a shot of starter fluid to get it started then you can sort out the idle adjustments.

Tried all throttle positions, I am going to disconnect the cable and work from zero by 1/4 turns on the idle screw. Probably won't have time tomorrow as I get to have words with the shop owner who last worked on my wife's car, then visiting dealerships to look at current inventory. Will be a long day tomorrow, but I am scheduled to ride on Friday. I can always toss the Keihin back on the bike if I can't get it sorted.

lectron

I'll try the idle screw 1/4 turn at a time tomorrow. Just got back after taking the wife's Passat on it's death ride. Complete loss of coolant, engine is toast. Pretty tired and focused on other things right now.

Merry Christmas? Maybe.

Sorry to hear about your engine problems, its not a diesel is it? Looking forward to seeing/hearing your bike when the Lectron is tunes and running good. I am still not understanding benefits of replacing a correctly jetted O.E. carb

Back