***LECTRON/EC300 - Need Experts!!!

Caccamo

EC300 with lectron won't idle unless I set it high:mad:
I have a fresh engine (top and bottom)
I have worked with Lectron to no avail
The bike will idle for 5-10 seconds, but then drops to a super low idle and dies within a few seconds.

Known:
The reeds are not sealing perfectly on the corners (slight wear). I do have new reed pedals. (Would this cause issues/ normal wear?)

When I pressure test, I am getting a lot of air loss past the power valve (normal?)

When starting I use the choke but have to turn it off within about 10 seconds, just seems super rich with choke on......??

I am at a point where I think the carb is on the lean side since the idle is a bit eratic when I go any further.

There are no air leaks that I can tell.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love the bike, but if it's not going to idle, I may not be a Gasgas fan much longer.

If there is any question about the reeds, I would fix them first otherwise you will be chasing your tail.

What is your squish clearance/head to piston tolerance? I had similar issues until I got the head sorted.

How long do you need it to idle for?

I tend to try and get mine to tick over very low and slow, and expect it to flame out after a few seconds. Tune for off idle response and torque.. that's the important part when riding.

I have a Lectron on my 200 that will idle "forever". Even laying on its side, it idles for long enough for me to get back on my feet and pick it up. So there is nothing about the Lectron design that causes this erratic idle. However, if the slide or carb body is badly worn, I cannot say how it will behave.

Sent fra min E5603 via Tapatalk

During pressure test one is artificially blocking the exhaust port. The port is either closed pretty well by the piston or a very big hole is open to the pipe. So don't sweat the PV.

squish is 1.2. It was .8 and I added base gaskets to get it to 1.2 but couldn't tell a difference. One thing I did notice which I thought was strange, but if I remove the left power valve cover is blows a lot of exhaust out, but idles fine. As though it's relieving some back pressure?

Thanks F5! What you are saying makes sense. I am at the point of getting rid of the Lectron and trying a standard carb, but I keep hearing how great they are. It may not be the Lectron at all, I just don't know

Thanks Anders! I would tend to think that if the slide or carb body were worn it would favor the lean side and struggle to pull fuel from the carb? It seems as though it is loading and dying, at least I thing so. When it starts to die, I can rev a few revs and it will usually idle for a few more seconds.

+1 on replacing the reeds. Which metering rod do you have ? Guessing it would be 4-2m for ec300, might be worth checking with Lectron. I recently purchased a new metering rod and found their customer service excellent (especially being in a different country)

Caravan, It is the 4-2M metering rod. I had a 3-2 and called Lectron and they had me switch to a 4-2M. It is easier to tune, but no better at idling. I will try the reeds. Do reeds have an effect on idling?

Aside from the idle issue, I absolutely love the bike as much as my KTM. But the idling issue is driving me bananas.

I'm sure I've experienced similar on both my engines.

If I wind the idle up the bike will idle too high for me. Dropping the slide will make it want to idle nicely for a bit and then drops really low. I just continue adjusting all circuits for off idle response, with intent to have the slide all but shut at idle. It drops straight back into a nice steady tick over at temp, in neutral. In gear it will drag a bit and may die out after a few seconds.

Never had an issue with it being hard to start, or stalling without poor input on my behalf. Sometimes needs a little clearing on long downhills, but that's the norm for most brands too.

Whilst on the lectron subject. I'm thinking of upgrading to a lectron as I ride at different altitudes ranging from sea level to 1500m..my 38 needs the needle to be dropped n raised to facilitate this and is a pain in the ass as many times I'm not aware it's going to be an issue until I get there and begin riding.
So my question is, is the lectron auto compensating for changes in air pressure? If adjustments need to be made then is it an easy track side adjustment?
Apologies if I've hijacked this thread.
Thanks
Jc

My understanding is that any issue with the reeds can cause issues with low speed running. With low speed running, the charged air/fuel mixture can be pushed back through the carb as the piston descends, picking up more gas on the way back and more still the next time the rises. This results in a very rich condition. At higher revs the intake air is travelling at a higher velocity and this is less of a problem.

If I'm wrong somebody will no doubt correct me but this is how I figure it out, backed up by my experience of how my bike ran before I replaced my chipped reeds. I do however wonder about the plastic v-force reed block. When I replaced the reeds I noticed that the block appeared to be slightly worn at the corners and I don't know whether this is normal or whether it is affecting the seal with the new reeds fitted.

Back