Lectron

There's a long time Gas Gas (Jack) dealer in Alabama that swears by them.
Especially on the 200s.

I heard of them back in the 80s but never knew first hand how they worked. I'll be waiting for this thread to develop.

I have seen them on a bench and pulled apart but never seen one in a bike.

Let us know if you try one!

i have used them on a vintage 2 stroke street bike. never on anything modern. they are super neato. but i would think you can get better performance out of a pwk...

Who has time to try a Lectron if I can supply one? I have a lot of these carbs dating from mid 70s and now they are sold mostly for quads/drag applications. Their thing was lack of obstructions in the airflow with only a needle for metering fuel. They were THE mod in the late 70s and early 80s for all types of racing. I don't have time to mess with one but if someone here in the US has the time I'm willing to put up the carb with a selection of needles. Who's brave/foolish enough to try?

Eric

Who has time to try a Lectron if I can supply one? I have a lot of these carbs dating from mid 70s and now they are sold mostly for quads/drag applications. Their thing was lack of obstructions in the airflow with only a needle for metering fuel. They were THE mod in the late 70s and early 80s for all types of racing. I don't have time to mess with one but if someone here in the US has the time I'm willing to put up the carb with a selection of needles. Who's brave/foolish enough to try?

Eric

Eric: We're a month or two away from riding weather in Michigan (I know, the proper gear makes it always riding weather :D) but I'd be up for doing some research. I'll do a little break-in on the stock bike, then try to establish a fuel range for both a tuned Keihin and a tuned Lectron. After that I'll send the head out for a RB mod if warranted and repeat. What other parts do we want to the experiment besides subjective response?

I'll be on a standard issue 2011 XC250 with 38mm AS II. Check the boxes for left side airscrew and fuel inlet, with a body actuated choke. Anybody got the flange diameters handy?

Full disclosure - I had a Lectron on a 1985 KTM125 when I was a kid, and I thought the see-through float bowl was trick!

Last edited:
coopernicus;57412. said:
They were THE mod in the late 70s and early 80s for all types of racing.
there's no doubt about that.

that being said, a properly setup lectron is awesome. improperly they are a serious hindrance. there is no doubt they are the coolest carbs out there. (next to the dellorto ssi)

they're still in business?

i had one on a PE250 back in, ummm, 1982. i think. gets a bit fuzzy the further back i try to remember. i recall it being super easy to work on, but i could only ever get it to work right for 3/4 of the range. as in, i could get it to run flawlessly down low up to about 3/4 throttle, but then it would start missing and sputtering. or i could get it to wind way out and run sweet all the way from the beginning of the powerband to redline, but it would then burble and stumble and run rough off idle.

i was 18 at the time though, so my troubleshooting skills may definitely have been suspect...

Modified a 1972? Ossa Pioneer 250 with a Lectron. It made a world of difference in mileage and performance. I had forgotten the name of them but never how it worked. I'm surprised they are still in business. I loved mine and wish I still had that bike

I used them for 4 years on a Yamaha TZ250 and TZ700-750 Roadracers. They can be made to work great, yet in todays world, I do not think I'd mess with them (old-school).

They (in their time) where great as the powervalve operated on vacuum and were Mikuni pilot jets if I remember correctly, Flat slides were killer on the TZ's super adjustable blade style needles, clear float bowls (cool looking) They had nice bell-mouth air intakes (I always ran them without aircleaners) as roadracing (who cares, right?).

They were sensitive to barometric changes/temp/altitude, much more than Mikuni's. I bought parts from Lectron directly.

I tried all kinds of carbs on my TZ700-750, Always kept 2 sets of round slide Mikuni's and even a set of EI carbs (similar to Lectrons) The Lectrons made the most HP, but I was running 38mm Lectrons Vs. OEM 34mm Mikuni's......

Fred1956,
You should have kept that 1972 Ossa Pioneer. I still have mine. Bought new for $800. When I read this thread about carbs on old bikes I went out to the shed to see what the Ossa had as original equipment.

It's a 29mm IRZ with a side float. The slide has two needles side by side with two mains that are different sizes. It really worked awesome. ??? As I remember this powerhouse was advertised by Ossa as having an arm stretching 21 horse power! :eek:

Okay, as I feared knowing the folks on this site, we have someone "foolish" enough to try this thing out (Steven Beane, look for a PM). Realistically, this should work well if I can find the right setup between Carbs, needles, and the power jet. Luckily I have an application guide from 1981 that has suggested needles for most dirt bikes made so I just need to pick what vintage bike bore and stroke most resembles a GG (Steven, we need to decide 250 or 300) and go from there. Also, Lectron recommended using a smaller than stock carb as they claimed their carbs flowed better without obstructions...Should we go this route, too? As a final note, most folks only know about Lectrons what was written in magazines at the time and most of the tests were done early in their development. When they started, they had few needles and you often fell in between those with your application. By 1981 they had over a hundred different needle combinations and each needle was tunable itself by screwing it up and down in the slide (then secured by a set screw) for different conditions. This should be fun!

Eric

Yup... KTM in the 70's and they still make them! Waco,TX. and run about $400~. A friend is sponsored by them on his KTM GS250 in the Vintage CC series.

Back