Lets talk tires!

Lots of Pirelli guys. Anyone tried the weird Looking Sedona mx907 or whatever it is. I have some buddies that swear by them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tires are like oil....everyone has a different flavor!

So true...

I think I will try some Pirelli's again, it's been awhile since I've tried anything other than the Bridgestones.

This summer I'm going to try out the Kenda Equilibrium and remount/compare the MT43 I took off my Husaberg last week.

Lots of Pirelli guys. Anyone tried the weird Looking Sedona mx907 or whatever it is. I have some buddies that swear by them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using a pirelli mt43 on the rear and would buy another. Those Sedona things look interesting, i wouldn't mind giving one a go. They seem to get good reviews.

I have run the Sedona MX907HP on both of my GasGas 300's.

I ride rocky, root infested, greasy wet clay trails in the Pacific Northwet.

I run the Sedona at 5 psi with Tubliss. It has stiff sidewalls and a flexible crown which works well at low pressure.

The MX907HP tire has traction very close to a trials tires on rocks, roots and hardpack clay.

It gets excellent traction in loose rock and loose soil as well. It performs exceptionally well on wet clay soils. One of my riding buddies described it as it just keeps clawing away finding traction.

This tire has great traction over a wide range of off-road conditions that exceeds that of either trials tires or other top brand knobby tires, including the MT43 and MT16. It handles very well and doesn't have the squishy, loose feeling of a trials tire at low pressure.

It is very durable. It doesnt chunk or tear in the rocks.

I have wanted to try some Golden Tyre compounds for a few years. I was emailing the distributor trying to find someone close by that carried them. At this time there was a shop in AZ that was stocking many different compounds. The cost per tire was more than what I was paying and shipping made it even more. I was reading on Enduro 360 that someone else is handling the brand now here in the U.S. The cost looks to have been adjusted to be more inline with the other higher end brands.

I have wanted to try some Golden Tyre compounds for a few years. I was emailing the distributor trying to find someone close by that carried them. At this time there was a shop in AZ that was stocking many different compounds. The cost per tire was more than what I was paying and shipping made it even more. I was reading on Enduro 360 that someone else is handling the brand now here in the U.S. The cost looks to have been adjusted to be more inline with the other higher end brands.

My buddy ran a Golden Tyre and it was toast after two rides. That, coupled with the price tag makes it impractical for most, unless you are a sponsored rider who gets new tires levered on for free, each race.

My buddy ran a Golden Tyre and it was toast after two rides. That, coupled with the price tag makes it impractical for most, unless you are a sponsored rider who gets new tires levered on for free, each race.

good info, if selecting the proper compound for the terrain and it was toast after a few rides...not good.

Thanks

I had read nothing but good reviews about a few of the Goldentyre's so I recently ordered up a GT216 front. The only place I found that actually stocks them in the USA was Zip-Ty racing, but it was going to cost $150 to my door! I ended up ordering from Adventure Spec in the UK and while cheaper, it was still very expensive.

I had been running a Michelin HP4 front and Pirelli MT43 rear and I really liked that combo on the Gasser. At my last tire change I wanted to see if I could get a little more bite in the loose stuff without giving up too much in the rocks so I switched to a Dunlop MX52 front and AT81RC rear and they are both working very well. The AT81 will not last as long as the MT43, but it does WAY better in mud and downhill braking and pulls harder in loose/straight line sections (the front end comes right up in sand/gravel instead of just getting wheelspin like the MT43), and not as bad as I expected in the rocks.

I recently installed a Motoz mountain hybrid on 2 other bikes so I will get some more miles on them before deciding if the 300 will get one... so far it does feel to be about 1/2 way between the AT81 and MT43 which is a good compromise. The tire is HUGE though, even though it is a "120/100/18" it measured 140mm on my 2.5" rim and 135mm on my buddies 2.15" rim. I'll probably try a Kenda Equilibrium on the rear of the 300 next since it is a more reasonable size (4.50) and looks like it will have a similar compromise in performance. Hopefully they will be available by the time the AT81 wears out.

Conditions around here are "concrete with marbles on top," loose rock, and rocky creek beds. It's pretty dry around these parts and we rarely get more than the occasional splash of mud on an otherwise dry trail so mud/wet performance is not very important to me.

I had read nothing but good reviews about a few of the Goldentyre's so I recently ordered up a GT216 front. The only place I found that actually stocks them in the USA was Zip-Ty racing, but it was going to cost $150 to my door! I ended up ordering from Adventure Spec in the UK and while cheaper, it was still very expensive.

I had been running a Michelin HP4 front and Pirelli MT43 rear and I really liked that combo on the Gasser. At my last tire change I wanted to see if I could get a little more bite in the loose stuff without giving up too much in the rocks so I switched to a Dunlop MX52 front and AT81RC rear and they are both working very well. The AT81 will not last as long as the MT43, but it does WAY better in mud and downhill braking and pulls harder in loose/straight line sections (the front end comes right up in sand/gravel instead of just getting wheelspin like the MT43), and not as bad as I expected in the rocks.

I recently installed a Motoz mountain hybrid on 2 other bikes so I will get some more miles on them before deciding if the 300 will get one... so far it does feel to be about 1/2 way between the AT81 and MT43 which is a good compromise. The tire is HUGE though, even though it is a "120/100/18" it measured 140mm on my 2.5" rim and 135mm on my buddies 2.15" rim. I'll probably try a Kenda Equilibrium on the rear of the 300 next since it is a more reasonable size (4.50) and looks like it will have a similar compromise in performance. Hopefully they will be available by the time the AT81 wears out.

Conditions around here are "concrete with marbles on top," loose rock, and rocky creek beds. It's pretty dry around these parts and we rarely get more than the occasional splash of mud on an otherwise dry trail so mud/wet performance is not very important to me.

Mountain hybrid weighs 17lbs....sorry to be a Debbie downer, but that fugger is heavy!

Oh boy, it weighs more each time someone mentions it on the interwebs! Mine was 15.8lbs... it also went on a dual sport that weighs 328lbs wet ;) I'm pretty sure the old 150/90 Teraflex weighed more too, the big difference being that the Motoz actually works :D Bigger tires (especially those with less tread void) will always weigh more, that's just the nature of the beast.

I never take tire weight into account as I always run UHD tubes and 2 rim locks and the Gasser has "U" rims which are no lightweights... and I weigh 230lbs myself. Just think of the heavier tire as additional rotational mass like a flywheel weight that doesn't lose its affect when you pull in the clutch.

Can I tell the difference between a 12lb tire and a 16lb tire on the bike? Yes. Does it bother me or hold me back? No. While I am a recreational rider I do occasionally squeeze in a race and I bring up the back of the "A" pack or stay at the front of "B" so I'm not the slowest guy out there either.

So, thought I'd share some thoughts about the MotoZ hybrid. Like Eric K. I ride Pacific northwest trails with lots of rocks and roots. I've been running trials tires for about 5 seasons with 1 year on a MotoZ tractionator. Initial thoughts were that the hybrid would bridge the gap between a knobby and trials tire. Cornering and steep downhill braking were a couple of areas where the trials tire was lacking for me and I was hoping the hybrid would be better in these areas while still maintaining the great traction the trials tire gets, especially on rocks and roots.

I picked up the MotoZ hybrid and now have 4 solid rides on it. The 2 areas I was hoping I'd see improvements the MotoZ definitely shows big advantages. Downhill braking is much improved as well as good cornering. The traction is not as good as a trials tire and there is some instability with bouncing and deflection in rocky rough terrain. Overall I think it's a decent choice, but I think I like the trials tire better overall.

Im very interested in the Sedona and wonder if it might be a good compromise from the trials tire.

i'm thinking I might try one of those "different" looking Sedona tyres next time round. I haven't read a bad review yet, just people bagging how they look

MotoZ

Speaking of MotoZ, I am running their soft compound Tractionator (maybe running the Terrapactor up front).

I was told that the soft compound tires are natural rubber.

I like the tires as well as anything I've ridden in terms of traction, cornering, etc, but the craziest thing is these tires wear like IRON.

I have 4 hare scrambles and 2 all day enduros on them right now (as well as some practice riding) and they have plenty of life left in them. I've never seen a tire wear like this. Since I'm a cheap bastard, I think I have found my tires.

I picked up a used Vee Rubber Tackee rear and didn't know just how really good it was until I saw a new Tackee tire. The one I was running was worn out and still hooking up well. These tires come with really tall knobs so even well worn the knobs look normal and have good bite. This is a dual compound tire with stiff side walls and very soft knobs that are relatively close together (almost as close as a mt 16). I run it on Tubliss and the Tubliss system seems to work very well with stiff sidewall/soft tread combo. I can't wait to try out my new V340 Tackee and matching front that I bought at this past weekend at the LL ride. If you can't find Vee Rubber tires contact Clay Stucky at ShercoOffroad.com that's where I got mine. - Ken

I am running the MotoZ Tractionator up front and love it. Long wear and good bite. I think it compares to a Michelin S-12, but last much longer. Ran a M59 last year up front with good results but I like the Tractionator better.

I'll probably put on the old Dunlop 803 for this season out back. Hard to beat the trials tire here in NW.

I just picked up a Golden Tyre GT216AA "fat tire". Anyone have experience with them? I know one thing it is GIANT compared to other tires. I wonder how it works in the mud? The only reviews I can find are from out west where it only rains 2x a year
d4436d5f403c9e6ea0ad610203c8b770.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is interesting because I had a chat with the guys at Zip-Ty racing and they are getting 1,500 miles out of the fronts and did a 500 mile race on one rear tire. Curious what tire your buddy was running and what he was doing

This is interesting because I had a chat with the guys at Zip-Ty racing and they are getting 1,500 miles out of the fronts and did a 500 mile race on one rear tire. Curious what tire your buddy was running and what he was doing

He was running one of the rear tires, not sure which compound he was running. I will find out and post up. I am guessing it was one of the softer tires.

I just picked up a Golden Tyre GT216AA "fat tire". Anyone have experience with them? I know one thing it is GIANT compared to other tires. I wonder how it works in the mud? The only reviews I can find are from out west where it only rains 2x a year
d4436d5f403c9e6ea0ad610203c8b770.jpg

I am going to pick one of these up as well. They are getting some great feedback. I am hoping for some impressive longevity, as the price point does not make it practical for me if it wears like other intermediates.

I'm currently running metzler six days extreme front and rear, and can't fault them. The rear has done 1000kms and is basically shagged, but that's the same as anything else I've ran.

I'm thinking about try one of those mountain hybrids, but I'm not 100% convinced yet..

Back