My starter works great now!

Hi all,
I have the 12 up for sale and I am fixing a few little niggles.
One is the estart. I have tea through this thread and have pulled mine out three times now.
I completely dismantled it the last time to stretch the spring holding the three little weight like pieces.
There is no spring in mine???
I reckon there was and it has broken and since been chewed up?
Either way, I need another starter setup.
Just wondering whether the $14 one worked?
Could someone please give me a link as to which one worked best?
Thanks in advance,
Mark

Mark,
I picked one up on e-bay less than 20 bucks. # Smu-5011 and i robbed the pieces need form this and installed on the original bendix. Works Great now.

Cool , thanks John.
Will be looking it up and purchasing now.
Happy new year.
Mark

QUOTE=john r b;161681]Mark,
I picked one up on e-bay less than 20 bucks. # Smu-5011 and i robbed the pieces need form this and installed on the original bendix. Works Great now.[/QUOTE]

Had a look on ebay.
They are $60+24 postage?
Any other item numbers, descriptions or places I could get it cheaper?
Cheers Mark.

Gear ring

Hi, do you know the part number for the gear ring as my 2014 EC300 racing spat 7 teeth in the woods last week.

Stretched the spring and fired up easier, but still not perfect and especially at cold starts.

Purchased and swapped the gasgas bendix with the honda bendix and it is perfect! No loosse spinnings and engaging everytime!
Also less mechanical sound

What exactly do you have to swap? Which parts do you take from the honda's and which from the gasgas' bendix?
-Obviously you will take the "Base" Part with the Pin and the big gear from gasgas.
-I asume the inside from the honda's
-And the top spring and cover? Honda? (The Honda spring looks weaker, which might also help)

Swap like this?

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
hi, I have the same problem on my gasgas ec 2015 the bendix wheel, all the gears are a place but not to cross over the gear wheel.
I also tried with the battery of the car but it does not work. some time ago I changed the gear with a piaggio scooter but I did not read about extending the spring. therefore if enlarged the spring that holds the weights could work.
greetings from Italy

Finally!

Finally found this thread! LOL I watched anesthesiadreamin's eight-part youtube video on the subject, but I couldn't remember the GGrider's member he named that he got all the info from.

Subscribing now before I even read it, so I don't lose it. :)

Here is number eight in that video series:

GasGas Starter FIX part 8 FINAL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rwq9RemuQI

Found this too late, sold my GasGas. I had tried all kinds of mods. After first broken set of Bendix and flywheel gear, i got the spacing right on the secound very expensive set.
But the Starter in best case (clean and relubed with very little thin oil) always only worked as a Re-Starter for warm engine.
I am a bit dissapointed that GasGas over the years never refined the springforce in the Bendix and a customer must come and find working Honda parts.
I think that the spring was strengthened because the Bendix works vertical and every bump might push down the gear.
Did anyone observe an engaging noise when landing from a jump or see a respective wear on the parts?

Great forum!

Regards,
Erhard

I finally decided to sort the starter on my 2011. Below is part six video of the previously posted thread. My ring gear was in great shape and my GG bendix was in good shape too, not rounded or chewed up at all, it just would not engage.I bought the listed CH 80 starter on Amazon and last night I followed the video directions and IT WORKS PERFECT!
https://youtu.be/VxGcd1eqdd8

Back