My starter works great now!

Hmm ok, I have enough parts to figure it out, also with the elektrical wiring.

My only doubts are the hard (mechnanical) parts.
Must decide today, So i hope there is somebody with the right answer :).

Stator covers are the same, LHS PV cover is the same, pretty sure crankshaft and therefore flywheel is the same which also means ringgear would be the same. Bendix and starter motor are the same.
Confirm with parts fiche that the crank, flywheel and ringgear between '11 and '13 are the same. If so it will work.

I haven't been hanging around here lately but someone asked me about the part number for the Honda scooter Bendix so I came back to look at this thread. I see you guys have been talking about me ;-) I had an interesting experience as a result of this thread I thought I would share. I get a PM from this forum from a guy who lives in Brazil. He starts off apologizing for his bad English as he is using Google translator to convert to English. We ended up also talking via e-mail. All his correspondence ends with the word "Hugs". I tried to reverse translate that into Portugese and can't come up with what that really means. I was thinking it might be the same as "Regards" or "Thanks" or something like that. Maybe it's simply a traditional Brazilian thing to say "Hugs" to people?

Anyway, he tells me that he saw this thread and has the same problem and needs a new Bendix. I don't remember the details of the money numbers but he's telling me that with an import duty a new Bendix from GG ends up being something like $385 so he's interested in my Honda Bendix idea and has found one on Amazon but shipping to Brazil is ridiculous expensive. What he asks me is if he can purchase on Amazon and have the part shipped to me, at which time I will disassemble the Bendix and mail him only the parts he needs.

It's too strong a word to say that I was suspicious but I thought it might be something I didn't want to be involved in. On the chance that he was legit I wanted to help him out so I tell him I need to check how much shipping would be to Brazil from Pennsylvania. I find out that shipping would be about 10-12 dollars so I tell him I'm game. He asks for my address and given my trepidation about all this I give him my work address. About two days later the Bendix shows up at work. I take it apart and mail him what he needs. About a month later he sends me an e-mail that he received the part and gives me another "Hug"

I have since located him on Facebook and what I see is a middle aged man with a family and pictures of him and dirt bikes. It was an interesting experience and I was very happy to help him out.

"Hugs" from Pennsylvania.

Nice to hear :).

As mentioned above I have bought and installed a e-start conversion kit.
Aftter installing the bendix was spinning a lot but nog engaging.
With the knowladge of this tread I stretched the spring, which is a very easy and quick fix, and bam! it is engaging for 100%!
Also a good battery is reccomended.

First off thanks to Bobt250 and all the others who put input into this thread.
Got a new bendix today and now understand how it should operate. Did as suggested, and after a little blood swapped parts over to GasGas gear.
One thing I noticed was the inner helical thread on the counter weight was worn out. That would explain a lot.
All back in the bike now and so far so good. Didnt stretch the spring yet.....
So if you think the gears are not engaging, it might be a worn internal helical gear.
Hope this makes sense!

Biff

Last edited:
That's good info Biff. The bendix does need lubrication. It's not something you want to ignore. Any water that gets in the ignition cover has the potential to wash some oil out of the bendix.

Thanks for this! I stretched the spring, added washers and also bought a lithium battery (probobly didnt need one but the old one was bad anyway). Started right up!
Didnt stretch my spring as much as in the picture but it worked. Also sprayed lithium grease inside the bendix. Ive got the 2013 ec300e.

Stretched the spring and fired up easier, but still not perfect and especially at cold starts.

Purchased and swapped the gasgas bendix with the honda bendix and it is perfect! No loosse spinnings and engaging everytime!
Also less mechanical sound

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 145
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 149
Stretched the spring and fired up easier, but still not perfect and especially at cold starts.

Purchased and swapped the gasgas bendix with the honda bendix and it is perfect! No loosse spinnings and engaging everytime!
Also less mechanical sound

Looking at photo #4, I see a lot of exposed shaft. How did you get the parts to compress that much? Mine seemed pretty firm when I tried to compress it to get enough clearance to get that clip off.

Thanks in advance.
Jim

Looking at photo #4, I see a lot of exposed shaft. How did you get the parts to compress that much? Mine seemed pretty firm when I tried to compress it to get enough clearance to get that clip off.

Thanks in advance.
Jim

The spring cup/apparatus is an (almost) interference fit. Just push harder. Then you simply twist the bendix to push everything back down.

I have replaced the GG circular spring with the Honda spring, but I haven't had the gumption to remove the hog ring from the shaft to change the gear or inner spring. I believe the inner coil spring (inside the cups) is the key to the whole operation. That lighter spring allows the gears to more easily interact, and then prevents the gears from disengaging too early.

The spring cup/apparatus is an (almost) interference fit. Just push harder. Then you simply twist the bendix to push everything back down.

I have replaced the GG circular spring with the Honda spring, but I haven't had the gumption to remove the hog ring from the shaft to change the gear or inner spring. I believe the inner coil spring (inside the cups) is the key to the whole operation. That lighter spring allows the gears to more easily interact, and then prevents the gears from disengaging too early.

Thank you!

Jim

I just picked up a 13 300 and was wanting to stretch out the spring in the Bendix since it seems on only spin most of the time. I've taken the plastic cover off...do I need to take the metal cover off where the motor goes into as well to pull the starter out? Is there a tutorial for this? I'm a newbie to the estart stuff. Thanks for the help!

No. Just remove the starter from the housing. Two 8mm bolts through the plastic cover and starter into the PV cover, and the two 8mm bolts holding the starter to the stator cover. Then just pull the bendix out the top of the stator cover.

Be careful stretching the spring. I over did it and ended up buying a Honda bendix.

Should I replace the grease with another kind of lubricant or leave it? Sorry for the noob questions just want to get it right the first time. Thanks!

I think you will want to use quite a bit of grease on the gears but I would go easy on the bendix. You want it lubricated but you don't want enough grease to interfere with its operation. It's already a little finicky. That's just my opinion anyway. That's how I did mine and it's worked flawlessly (until the other day when I punched a rock through the housing).

I think a few people on here have even sealed the drain in the cover and filled the stator housing with a few CC's of oil.

Yaphettt - the ring gears are extremely hard to come by; in fact I'd venture to say there is not one in the US right now. I had Matto looking for me for one for a couple of months with no luck. A guy is parting out my model of bike on ebay and when I saw the ring gear I bought it immediately.

I think it's a combination of a commonly worn part and the troubles at the factory. Hopefully they are back in action soon and some of those hard to come by parts start flowing again.

Like Rod says, check with Matto, Halls and the other dealers that advertise on here.

Back