needle opinions

antsx

I found an old pwk carb in the shed off my old rm125 and was wondering if anyone could tell me the size of the needle and how it would compare to the n1ef needle i have at the moment in an ec250 07
the needle out of the suzuki has r1469n and oxhnk stamped on it.
thanks Ant

i did a bit of research on this needle and if iv worked it out right it is a dkg. can anyone tell me how it compares to a n1ef and what size jets to try with the dkg thats if its worth trying. thanks

Its actually a DGK.

Its significantly leaner than the N1EF. Comparing 42 N1EF#2 175 to 42 DGK#4 180, they start off the same at idle. The N1EF increased to approx 20% richer at 1/4 throttle, and then tapers back down and they run very similar from 1/2 throttle to WOT.

IMO the DGK will be far too lean below half throttle. I'd almost expect it to hesitate and not even take throttle below 1/4. A shorter L1 height
such as a DEK or DDK would probably work much better.

What is the problems you are facing with the N1EF currently? What would you like to improve on? Whats the temp, alt, humidity, pilot jets, clip position, and main?

there doesnt seem to be much pull after 3/4 throttle its good up to there but doesnt keep pulling as hard after 3/4 throttle pilot 38 as 1 turn clip 3 main 182 temp 5-15 deg c sea level to 500ft
it came with the same jetting but had a 162 main and was really flat on top end so i put a 170 in still seemed a bit flat so i put a 182 in best so far but still doesnt seem right need to get some more jets too how rich is too rich surely i shouldnt need a bigger main again or would i ? thanks for your help again jakobi

I would have expected around a 175-178 main for those conditions, with that needle. A rich main will just sound a bit dull in the exhaust note, and not be as snappy. A really rich main will start to break up and blubber. Its very possible by jumping from a 170 to a 182 you've cleared right over the prime zone.

Other things to consider are mechanical. Depending on the history of the bike it may have had base gaskets removed to decrease the squish height. This can put the port timing to favour bottom end and kill off your top end power. Increasing the compression ratio too far will do the same thing (which incidently happens if you just decrease the squish without correcting the volume).

you explained it, it sounds dull when wide open which i was still mistaking for being flat lean i will get some more mains a 172 175 178 then it should be a ripper cheers mate your a star

Another quick test is to reach down and pull the choke on and see if it runs better or worse. A lean main will haul ass, be super snappy, and sound really tinny. It will ride really well until you put a big load on it, and then it will fall flat.

Either way, you are already rich so if you step down one size at a time you'll either notice it progressively improving up to a point that it stops. Thats where you want to be.

Back