New Seals or Seal Doctor?

farmerj

Platinum Level Site Supporter
Sorry, fork re-building "newbie" here (45mm Zokes.) After a hard desert ride, with lots of whoops, both fork seals started leaking.

Q1 - How do I know if I need to replace the seals or just use a "seal doctor" and clean them?

If I'm going to the work to take the forks apart and change oil I'm wondering if I should just replace the seals while I"m at it.

Q2 - I rode the thing a bit without much oil in the forks. Can that damage the internals or cause wear on the sliders?

Thanks,

Jeff
'05 DE 300

If you crack them open its easy enough to replace seals and wipers all at once. Nothing like the peace of mind knowing you have fresh oil and seals.

The way I've found it in the past is that if they leak once, they will leak again. There will be contaminants in the oil, a seal doctor will only serve to push what's got stucm in the seal, back into the oil.

Thanks for the replies! I have a Seal Doctor that I will try and some new seals on order as well.

The way I've found it in the past is that if they leak once, they will leak again. There will be contaminants in the oil, a seal doctor will only serve to push what's got stucm in the seal, back into the oil.
Agreed. What he said 2.

I have found the seal cleaning to be a temporary fix. It may work for a while, be prepaired to replace the seals.

This is probably a silly question but how do you know the oil has broken down? Does it thin out, (get less viscious) and you lose dampening?

Yes and you will definitely feel it in the reaction of your forks while riding.

Only really feel it if you give yourself a chance to get used to fresh oil. If you ride on the same mashed out oil for long enough you get used to it.

I've got some great pics of various filth thats come out of forks.

Back