New to 2t

nato

Ok here we go! I am new to the 2t scene and have a 2nd hand 300 2010 model. I have found it loves to drink fuel and was wondering where i should start with the jetting or gearing to get a few more k's out of the tank? Thanks in advance for your help.

How thirsty is thirsty??? To get some jetting advice back you need to put some info in the chrystal ball..

Whats in there now? Where are you? Temp, Humidity, Elevation, etc. Engine condition/modifications. Any spooge? Hows the bike run?

Stock jetting and the CCK/CEK Keihin needles are thirsty. With some changes you should be able to get around 100km out of the tank mixed riding. 70/80km of single trackin hard.

You can also check your float height, think there is a sticky on it, I was struggling to get 70km on a tank, but once i adjusted the float height i easily get 80km before hitting reserve

You can also check your float height, think there is a sticky on it, I was struggling to get 70km on a tank, but once i adjusted the float height i easily get 80km before hitting reserve

+1 my 2010 gets much better mileage after adjusting the float

Ok so my brother took it for a run on the weekend and its not much extra info but ithas a standard pipe 13/48 gearing and he got 70km then hit reserve and got another close to 10km. I will be home on wednesday to have a look at the jetting that is in there but if anyone has a hint to recomend i can pick the new stuff up on my way home. Oh and at the moment it is being ridden at Coffs Harbour in australia at just above sea level. And soon will be riding in Rockhampton which is also not high altitude. Cheers and i will get back to you on existing jets and needle.

Ok so my brother took it for a run on the weekend and its not much extra info but ithas a standard pipe 13/48 gearing and he got 70km then hit reserve and got another close to 10km. I will be home on wednesday to have a look at the jetting that is in there but if anyone has a hint to recomend i can pick the new stuff up on my way home. Oh and at the moment it is being ridden at Coffs Harbour in australia at just above sea level. And soon will be riding in Rockhampton which is also not high altitude. Cheers and i will get back to you on existing jets and needle.

I'm in Australia although a bit further norther. Higher temps, higher humidity, and some more elevation aswell so I run a bit leaner than most.

Sounds like you might still be running the standard needle based on that fuel usage, however others have hit reserve around the same using others. On average you're looking at getting 10km/L or around 95km/tank. Give or take some.

If you want to grab some brass I'd suggest the following. 40 and 42 pilots, NEDJ and N3EJ needles, 172 175 and 178 mains.

At sea level temps mid 20 (Southerners) and Scotties dirt bikes, have found 42 N3EJ#3 178 works well. Alternatively the NEDJ will provide smoother more linear power. I'd run at same clip, but use a size or 2 smaller main.

At my temps and elevation 25-35C 300M+ 30-90%RH I use 40 NEDJ#2 172

Also if it does have the stock jets in there it'll probably be a 40P N1EF and 175 main. When getting your parts together you'll have to hit the right dealer for each needle.

N3EJ - Ktm (250EXC?) / Yamaha (YZ250)
NEDJ - Suzuki (2008 RM250)

You'll probably find that the NEDx/NECx needles are on back order though. They're in pretty high demand across the brands. They just seem to work.

Just ordered them from mudntar in wauchope they Will be in Wednesday. Fingers crossed she likes them.

Ok so i have removed the other jets and needle and it is running 45 n3ej on 2nd clip from the top 178 can someone give me a bit of a run down on float adjustment as i dont think the change to 42 on the pilot and 3rd clip on the needle will make much change will it?

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412662

Someone will chime in with the mm measurement, I didn't have to change mine. These bikes are fiddly to jet but that's a good thing, you can vary the power delivery a lot just with 15 dollar jets.

Eg for me ( you will be diiferent, I have a high comp head 36 mm carb)

smooth, linear crisp for single track above 1500' 42 Nedw clip 3 175 (wheelie good)

Coastal sand woopy wot work 42 jd blue clip 4. 178

Coastal 500 loam/mud hills torque (think dungog) 42 n1eg 2 or jd blue 3 (softer) clip 2 175

Is the measurement suppose to be 16mm? for the float?

Thats the old carbs. Not sure on the measurement for the ASII. Basically you want to be able to lean the bike t a 45 degree before the fuel overflows (quick test). Theres other threads that advise how to change or set up the float. Lots and lots of em.

Simmo is on the money. These bikes are sensitive to changes. IE. change your clip from N3EJ at 2, to clip 3, or even more so and see just how much it changes.

I have read a few of those float threads and i have set it level with the mounting face and the seam on the float. I am hoping i get more k's out of a tank of fuel but by going leaner on the pilot and richer on the needle and same on the main Im not sure it Will make much difference? However i am picking up the new pilot and new gearing (lower) tomorrow and Im keen as mustard to give it a go!

So i adjusted the float a touch and put the new pilot in and as you said the difference is quite noticeable! It seems to want to jump a fair bit harder straight off the bottom instead of a bit of a slugish take off. Only got 5minutes on it but im off for a 3 day ride in Coffs so i will report back on monday.

Enjoy the ride Nato. Look forward to seeing the video! :D

IMO it is high float and rich pilots that contribute to excess fuel consumption. Basically every time you hear that engine burbling its fuel thats not being burnt (ie. Wasted). As for too high on the float - if its over flowing and falling on the ground thats not going to help with economy much either.

Ride safe!

So i have done the ride and a short report with a few pics in the report section! I found off the bottom good but in the tech singles i was loading up on fuel imo should i put it a clip leaner on the needle? The plug seems to be a tan colour. Whats ur ideas?

Back