Ohlin spring ratings

jilljoy

Can anyone tell me exactly what the numbers keen on 2 x online springs I have 1 596-08/4.9
2 596-10/5.2

Cheers

If I remember correctly the first set of numbers (596) is the series and the 8 & 10 are the order they are listed in the Ohlins parts catalog. Pretty sure there is a 5.0 spring in between the 4.9 & 5.2- it would be stamped 596-9/50

i see that makes sense..

Iv just got an ec300 and the rear shock doesnt seem to have much movement..

It does have lowering links on, so iv ordered a whole new swingarm linkage off ebay...

Do you think the lowering links could cuse the problem? or does it sound like the bearings are seized up?

Easiest way to check is to put the bike up on the stand. Undo the bolts for the dog bones and pivot out of the way, undo the lower shock mount and then grab the swing arm and move it through its range of travel. Should move smoothly and not bind or have any play. If you don't know when it was last done I'd be pulling the entire swingarm and greasing all the bearings.

Easiest way to check is to put the bike up on the stand. Undo the bolts for the dog bones and pivot out of the way, undo the lower shock mount and then grab the swing arm and move it through its range of travel. Should move smoothly and not bind or have any play. If you don't know when it was last done I'd be pulling the entire swingarm and greasing all the bearings.

Excellent advice !!:D

so what is the difference where one spring is 10 and the other is 8? what do those numbers mean?

I'm only having a guess, but could it be the diameter of the wire coil in mm.
8mm does sound a bit small but 4.9 is a light spring rate.

I'm only having a guess, but could it be the diameter of the wire coil in mm.
8mm does sound a bit small but 4.9 is a light spring rate.

the first set of numbers (596) is the series and the 8 & 10 are the order they are listed in the Ohlins parts catalog.

The rear shock spring on my bike has the number 00580 09/50 L235 (Ohlins / '06 EC200) Would I be correct in understanding this to indicate a 50Nm spring ?

I'm around 100kg / 220lb ready to ride, would a 52 or 54Nm spring be more appropriate ?

The set up on this bike is a bit strange - there was only 7mm preload on the spring, yet the race sag is only 85mm with my weight on board. I double checked this several times because it looked 'wrong', but got the same results.

Yes, the 06 200 has 50nm spring as std. I am about the same weight as you and use a 5.6 kg spring from Enduro Engineering. I use 0.45 kg springs in the forks.

Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express

Back