Quick reassurance - elevation jetting change

liv2day

Platinum Level Site Supporter
Guys -

Heading over to central Oregon to ride the "high desert" this weekend and wanted to make sure I went the right way on jetting.

Typical elevations for where I ride are 2k - 4k feet with decent humidity (coastal range).

Typical elevations for where I'm going are 3k - 6k feet and far less humidity.

I raised the needle one clip and decided to skip changing out my main jet; not too worried if she's a little rich up top, though I'm going to bring a 170 main and swap out if it's bad (have a 172 in now).

I always frickin' confuse myself when it comes to jetting for elevation, so thanks for any input/help :o

while you can use charts to get a general idea, I found the best thing is to just bring a bunch of different size pilots and mains with you and tune it there.

I wouldn't change a thing from eastern wa to western wa, or oregon for that matter.

Really...even with a good 3k difference in elevation? I was looking through some GPS logs of where we're going to camp and it's right around 5k feet. Most of the riding I do in the coast is 2k with some sprints up to 3-4k.

For memory's sake (lol), going up in elevation generally means you need to go leaner...right?

I'll have some jets with me too.

Air density thins out up higher, but temps generally drop...

I'd leave it as is and evaluate once you're riding. If its a bit rich raise the clip 1. Max 10min job trailside. Pilot should be tunable with the air screw for the best part. A size here or there out on the main shouldn't matter unless if you're chasing max HP.

Really...even with a good 3k difference in elevation? I was looking through some GPS logs of where we're going to camp and it's right around 5k feet. Most of the riding I do in the coast is 2k with some sprints up to 3-4k.

For memory's sake (lol), going up in elevation generally means you need to go leaner...right?

I'll have some jets with me too.
I never change my jetting for mountain riding in the summer. I do fatten it a bit when temps fall in the winter.

I don't mess with the jetting, i ride with the same jets at 500 in december as i di at 6000 feet in august. Its never lean and when its fat I blip the throttle a couple times and it generally clears up.

Might get away with an airscew adjustment,maybe a notch on the needle;hell it could be all wrong at the TSF and run like a champ at Whoopsville.

I found the best thing is to just bring a bunch of different size pilots and mains with you and tune it there.

But,this is the style I prefer.Its a long trip might as well stop at the shop and grab a couple jets just in case.

More then likely the bike will run fine over there with some small adjustments.
With the weather we are having,the bike will run nice and crisp in the morning,get crappy in the middle of the day and rip again in the evening,youll be right on that edge.

Back