Sherco X Ride 290 Report

ACR Tom

Scott from Moto Connection Delivered a new Sherco X 290 Now I bought 2 new gas gas 300 trials bikes this year . I own a 200 gas gas enduro bike , I am telling all of you this so you can put buying this bike in perspective . I have owned a lot of dirt bikes over the years . at least 30 / 40 or so . That being said this bike is a BLAST A TOTAL FUN BIKE ! It is not a trial not a enduro bike street legal killer good time ! One ride in my 2 track/ quarry riding area and I am hooked . If you can afford to buy this bike and you enjoy woods riding BUY IT ! If you cant afford it sell some of the junk you have lying around and then buy it ! If you still cant afford it rob a bank and use it as the get away bike ! THEY WILL NOT CATCH YOU ! :):):):

It is indeed a very fun bike, but with an awful lot of shortcomings for the money it costs. Aluminum foot pegs? That rear brake pedal... Woefully inadequate fenders for a trail bike. Be sure and seal up the hole at the bottom of the air box before it costs you lots of $$ too!
My good riding buddy has one and loves it but I hope they get a lot more serious in the second year model...

I photo...

sherco-x-ride-290-2012_3.jpg

Selected Specs...

http://www.sherco.pl/enduro/x-ride-290-.html

X-RIDE 290 - TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Engine Sherco 2 stroke
Engine Size 272 cm?
Bore x Stroke 76 x 60 mm
Fuel System Dell'Orto PHBL 26BS
Lubrication 2 % Oil Premix
Ignition Hidria
Exhaust Stainless steel header pipe
Transmission 5 speed sequential gearbox
Clutch Wet multidisc, with hydraulic command
Chassis Perimetric 25CD4S Steel pipes
Fuel Tank 7 L plastic fuel tank, unleaded gasoline
Brakes Front: Hydraulic, floating mounting 260 mm disc, J. JUAN
Rear: Hydraulic, 180 mm disc, J. JUAN
Front suspension MARZOCCHI 40 mm hydraulic fork
Rear suspension SACHS Adjustable hydraulic single damper
Front wheel Anodized light alloy rims, 1,60" x 21"
Rear wheel Anodized light alloy rims, 2,15" x 18"
Weight 92,5 kg (203.93 lb)
Wheelbase 1.404 mm (55.3 in)
Ground clearance 325 mm (12.8 in)
Seat height 850 mm (33.5 in)

I agree, they are an awesome bike. I think I got my Rokon sold tomorrow. I am pretty sure this is going to be its replacement. I'm sure the Rokon will do a lot of stuff that this bike won't be able to do. But I think this bike will be a lot more fun. If I could just figure out how to carry a deer on it. :D

Here in Washington Tasky has a blinker kit that makes them street legal. Do not know about your state, ours is pretty lenient, I was able to plate my 300rr with no problem.

In Arizona just about anything is street platable. No turn signals required. No lights unless ridden at night.

It is street legal for our state right out of the crate, but they can't be sold as street legal. You have to fill out an affidavit stating that it has the required items to be street legal.

As I said I have serious bikes that make me smile to . But this thing is really fun not great at any type of riding but makes me feel like a kid just because it is what it is ! So if you gage the value by the componets the this bike is a bad buy . But if you ride dirt bikes because you love to then this bike is undervalued , I think I can put it on the rode .

Have any of you compared the ossa explorer to the x-ride or the beta with a long range kit on it?? It's gotta a cool concept as well with a fuel injected 2-stroker powering it

My experience with the OSSA is that it is a POS. My buddy had one for a few weeks. 2 transmissions later he dumped it. For an EFI bike it was an incredibly finicky starter as well.

My experience with the OSSA is that it is a POS. My buddy had one for a few weeks. 2 transmissions later he dumped it. For an EFI bike it was an incredibly finicky starter as well.

I heard about these problems but thought they were rectified after the first year of production. Maybe it was a lemon, I've seen one or two of those this summer;)

How Many Mods were needed? Buy a Pampera!

I am amazed to hear that the Sherco X-Ride was manufactured with so many obvious flaws. A hole in the air box? Completely dysfunctional fenders? 5 speed gearbox? My 2005 Gas Gas 280 Pampera may weigh 20 lbs. more than the 290 X-Ride, but everything on it works as it should and it is bulletproof. It has a similar 280 trials motor but with a six speed wide ratio gearbox, Similar 40mm Marzochi forks, Excellent functional plastic, and very compact frame at a fraction of the cost. I am very disappointed that Gas Gas stopped making this type of crossover bike. I am glad to see that many other manufactures are making an attempt to produce bikes for this new emerging market. Sherco has made a good attempt, but They need to do much better to impress me.
The 10 year old Pampera is as good, if not better, play bike in my opinion.

T.

I am amazed to hear that the Sherco X-Ride was manufactured with so many obvious flaws. A hole in the air box? Completely dysfunctional fenders? 5 speed gearbox? My 2005 Gas Gas 280 Pampera may weigh 20 lbs. more than the 290 X-Ride, but everything on it works as it should and it is bulletproof. It has a similar 280 trials motor but with a six speed wide ratio gearbox, Similar 40mm Marzochi forks, Excellent functional plastic, and very compact frame at a fraction of the cost. I am very disappointed that Gas Gas stopped making this type of crossover bike. I am glad to see that many other manufactures are making an attempt to produce bikes for this new emerging market. Sherco has made a good attempt, but They need to do much better to impress me.
The 10 year old Pampera is as good, if not better, play bike in my opinion.

T.
I don't know why the 2005 Pampera weighs 20 pounds more but the reputed fixes to the T-Ride (sans gearing) are easy and cheap. I have never ridden an 05 Pamp but the 2000 Pamp I rode had trials gearing (1st 3 gears were very low and very close together) making the 1st 2 gears practically useless i.m.o. for trail riding. Perhaps GasGas changed the Pamps' gear box on later models - I don't know. What I do know is that I traveled to the Trials Training Center 15 years ago with money in hand to buy a brand new pamp but I test rode it and hated the gearing. About 3 years later I purchased a new Honda 150 for my wife which had less power than the pamp but because of gearing it was much more fun to ride. Both bikes were about the same size but the Honda was a lot heavier. Five gears (if they are spaced properly) should not hold anyone back from buying the T-Ride

I would hardly consider butchering a bunch of plastic flaps onto the fenders and airbox in an attempt to make them functional an easy fix, and it looks terrible.

In the Sherco X-ride's defense, the ergonomics and seat height configuration seem quite nice. The Gas Gas Rondonne and Beta long ride are little more than a trials bike with poor seats attached. The KTM Freeride is much closer to being that new compact crossover bike that everyone is trying to design, but KTM completely missed the point by designing a bike with a Sky High seat height. And the prices for any of these bikes is not going to appeal to entry level enthusiast.

As for the extra weight on the stock Pampera, I lost about 12 lbs. by removing the mirrors, buddy pegs, dysfunctional odometer, ect.

10 years later the manufactures are still trying to design what Gas Gas already had in production in 2005, and Gas Gas is trying to sell an old school air cooled trials bike with a poorly designed seat on It???

What's the world coming to!

I have a 2013 X-ride and my air box is just fine, zero mods required. Perhaps it was upgraded from the first units produced.
The fenders are small and you get some mud on you...so what?
If you like a endure bike and just want a smaller and less professional version then go for the Beta Cross trainer, if you want a little more trials like and don't mind pushing your bike when your battery and starter fail then go for the KTM Freeride. If you like a more trials bike like feel and performance but want a bigger seat and tank then the Sherco X-ride is the ticket. I also had a Beta Evo with the long range tank seat and all you have is a trials bike that you can sit to rest but not ride, you still sit too low and your pegs are back for trials so when sitting your toes will aim to the ground and expect to catch them on anything and everything. Nothing wrong with the older Pampera, they just need a little freshened up little. Plenty of options and none are perfect.
But I can tell you my X-ride always has someone wanting to ride it...just stupid easy to ride in ugly conditions.

Back