Sherco

Clay, sounds like a good business model to me. I still firmly believe that it is best for the marque if the dealer that sells the bike also is the focal point of parts supply.

Its an application like MS Word or Excel, actually much more simple. With that and a basic understanding, you can tune and troubleshoot the system if necessary. Its not that hard believe me.

Having seen the large number of warranty issues with sleds solidifies my belief that one needs a local dealer (bad sensors and blown motors). I acknowledge that most things can be researched and solved with a computer (I've become somewhat versed in error codes and chasing down grounds / continuity).

You guys confuse me here. There has been a lot of discussion of dealer/customer relationship that should start when the dealer sells the bike to a customer, right? If a customer buys his bike from Joe's Cycle and Joe doesn't stock parts, then Joe hurts the dealer/customer relationship. When that customer buys a second bike, then shouldn't he buy it from another dealer? If Steve's Cycle has gotten that customer's parts business, shouldn't he get his bike purchase business too? If not then the dealer/customer relationship is kind of missing something.
I totally get that Steve Beane wants as much parts and suspension business as he can get. I applaude him for going after this business. He is making a comment about how this idea affects his dealership. I am trying to come up with a solution that works for all of the dealers and customers in the US and helps me to build this brand here. I think I have hit on something that is a temporary, happy medium for everyone that gives the customer confidence that he will be able to get parts for the motorcycle he buys.
Singletracker.....you have heard from two dealers on what they think. Steve doesn't seem to like the idea. Scott Rocher does. I've been in this industry for 30+ years and I don't think I have ever seen a new idea presented to a dealer network that had 100% acceptance from the dealers. Welcome to my world!:)

It sounds like you've done your homework, and from what I've seen on this forum I wouldn't expect anything less. The fact that this isn't going to effect how you've been conducting business on the GG side is probably a good thing for some dealers as well.

From a customers standpoint, knowing that there will be parts available at one reliable place or another for an obscure bike is huge to me. Your business model will definitely put Sherco on my radar.

While over in Finland last month at the WEC I saw the 300I in person. It is a beautiful bike and really got my wheels turning.

I have been contemplating a 4T for the desert type events I have been drawn to over the last couple years. And yes the 300 2T works great so I kind of let the idea die. But when I saw this bike it sparked my interest again.

After seeing it in person I totally understand why Clay has picked up the brand. It screams quality, and is very attractive.

A 450 and street legal title would be the ultimate, so I hope everything works out so this can become reality.

Roscoe

Here is the pic I took at the WEC
Finlandtrip20121577.jpg

A bit off topic, but it really seems like the options for an enduro 2t that is not orange is really growing. GG, beta, sherco, tm, husky and I suppose husaberg as well ... there are enough quality bikes in that list for the mags to do an exotic 2t shootout!

I have been contemplating a 4T for the desert type events I have been drawn to over the last couple years. And yes the 300 2T works great so I kind of let the idea die. But when I saw this bike it sparked my interest again.

After seeing it in person I totally understand why Clay has picked up the brand. It screams quality, and is very attractive.

A 450 and street legal title would be the ultimate, so I hope everything works out so this can become reality.

Roscoe
/QUOTE]
Have you talked to Bill at SP about carrying the Sherco line? I have stopped by twice and he wasn't there.

After talking to Clay at the Natl. this past weekend, I would possibly be interested in the 2t down the road.. It sounds like the fit and finish is really good. I know their Trials bikes seem to be built better than GG trials.

A bit off topic, but it really seems like the options for an enduro 2t that is not orange is really growing. GG, beta, sherco, tm, husky and I suppose husaberg as well ... there are enough quality bikes in that list for the mags to do an exotic 2t shootout!

Reminds me of when I was young (the dinosaurs were gone then but not by much). The off road/mx world was full of cool brands like CZ, Bultaco, Ossa, Hercules, Penton, Husky, DKW, Zundap, Hercules, Rokon, Hodaka plus the Japanese brands were starting to come on. It's a cool time to be an off road guy now with all of the different options. It really is coming down to what the Euro companies call "after sales support". Since I race too I know how important parts supply is so I am making a serious commitment to have the parts for the Sherco brand. Mark has done the same with Gas Gas. You can call us directly with issues and we will get the answers for you. We appreciate your business!

Since you brought this up, I have been meaning to tell you guys about my experiences with the magazines. We are the only company that is not based in So. Cal. That means I have to ship a bike in the crate to the mags. I told them I was doing that and I needed them to re-crate it and then I would have it picked up. They all agreed. When Dirt Rider was done, the bike was imediately crated and I had it picked up. When Chilly White was done, he took it over to Skeeter's and re-crated it and we had it picked up. When Dirt Bike finished with the bike, it took weeks to get the bike crated and then they did a poor job of it and we had a bunch of shipping damage when the bike was unloaded. I still have not gotten my bike back from Cycle News. They just don't seem to care that I have tousands of dollars tied up in a bike that I can sell if I could just get it back. So....don't look for a Gas Gas or Sherco to be included in any mag tests or shootouts with Cycle News or Dirt Bike.

After talking to Clay at the Natl. this past weekend, I would possibly be interested in the 2t down the road.. It sounds like the fit and finish is really good. I know their Trials bikes seem to be built better than GG trials.

Please be clear that I am not trying to move any of our GG customers over to Sherco. I love GG and appreciate their help in getting into this business. I just want to sell you guys a bike, no matter which of the two you choose.

Oh, I definitely understand that. I love my GG and will have it for the foreseeable future. However, after hearing you describe what the Sherco will possibly have suspension and engine wise, it may possibly be more suited to what I want and need. Still, I will give it a year or two of productin to iron out the kinks before I go jumping ship.

Competition is a good thing. Each brand will be forced to stay on their game as far as quality and value.

The Sherco bikes look really cool. But I would only consider a two stroke.

Clay, you have a hard job! I bought my GasGas because of you and this forum.

A word of caution about the magazines. In my humble experience most of the people on this forum are very knowledgeable and capable. Further, our forum members seem to be very independent minded and they don't necessarily run with the status quo. I have had a subscription to Dirt Bike Magazine since 1976. They have a lot of power over the market and I don't always agree with their conclusions. However, many riders will not buy a new marque(like Gas Gas and Sherco) unless they read an article about the machine in Dirtbike and the review is favorable.

I think the two stroke market is getting ready to drastically expand. KTM is taking market share from the Japanese, who seem to have given up on two stroke development. The Europeans are producing motorcycles that customers are demanding. The Europeans seem to be eclipsing the Japanese in the same way that the Japanese pushed the Euro brands like Bultaco,Maico, Husky out of the US market in the early 80s.

If the Gas Gas market is going to grab a part of this market, it will depend on bringing in and holding onto the avergage rider who follows the new emerging status quo to some degree. I understand the high cost of shipping motorcycles and having them tied up then damaged. If they had inconvenienced me that way I would be very ticked off. But I think any press that is at least not negative will help GasGas sales. Several people I know read the last Dirt Bike test and they are considering a Gas Gas now.

I think adding Sherco on is a good move. Hang in there Clay!

In the north east we trust Trail Rider mag way more than the junk they print out west.. I dropped my dirt rider and dirt bike subscription over 10 years ago.. I had dirt rider since I was in school..

In the north east we trust Trail Rider mag way more than the junk they print out west.. I dropped my dirt rider and dirt bike subscription over 10 years ago.. I had dirt rider since I was in school..

+1 for Trail Rider in the East! I was amazed at the difference between Chilly White and Enduro 360's 300 test and Trail Rider's test. They may both be valid, but I know TR is talking about the same kind of riding I do!:cool:

+1 for Trail Rider in the East! I was amazed at the difference between Chilly White and Enduro 360's 300 test and Trail Rider's test. They may both be valid, but I know TR is talking about the same kind of riding I do!:cool:

And I forgot to mention that as soon as Kevin got done with our bike, he met a dealer at a race and turned it over to him to sell. Kevin is a great guy and I trust him too. He did a folow up on the '12 300 that was really good.
He has a pretty good shiner from the IN national enduro this weekend. He rode a new HB 2T there and the stock tires did not like the IN mud. He slid into a tree and his right eye looked like Mike Tyson laid one on him.

Back