Sherco

To early to start asking about a bigger tank :eek: Absolutely love the Sherco but...something for Clay to ask about perhaps ;)

Seriously though, what is the mileage range for a 250/300 FI 4 stroke on a 2.2 gallon tank under hard trail riding conditions? 60 miles possibly?

The all new from the ground up Beta 2 strokes are coming with a 8 liter tank (2.1 gallons) which IMO is ridiculous for a 2 stroke. Maybe for the 4 stroke Sherco 2.2 gallons will be ok but I'd prefer what GG finally did making a nice 10.5 liter (2.7 gallons) tank stock.

T&C are my local guys, few miles away, they have a few cool vintage bikes on display. A few small brands used to use those Sachs 125 motors, a couple friends had the Tyran 125 MX. Horrible transmissions! I had Bultacos that blew up regularly, thats what kept me off of GGs initially. It was a cool time to be involved, lot more land thats for sure.

Skidad,

As far as the tank size not everyone needs/wants a big bulbous tank. I happen to like a more moderate size tank and good plug/carb access and a slim feel. I think a KTM is ridulous in this regard. My '12 GG has close to three gallons and I always have a lot of fuel left, last two races I didn't even fill it to save weight.

I can not verify from personal experience yet, but rumor has it that the KTM 350 gets 40 MPG. The Sherco would have to be close.

I rode a Sachs and never had a problem with the transmission. I did break the trans on my Hodaka, Zundapp and one Husqvarna. Back to the Sherco, any tank options available ?

A few small brands used to use those Sachs 125 motors....It was a cool time to be involved, lot more land thats for sure.

I used to go "cow-trailing" on a DKW 125 as a kid in the mid-70's.
Sadly, the FED's have kicked the cows off much of the land.

As for fuel tanks: I used to always get a big tank. But now I'm with those that appreciate slimmer and lighter. Just over 2 gal. on a small-mid bore EFI 4T should be plenty for most.
But 2 gal on a 250/300 smoker? That's just silly!

I would assume that the small tank is a result from WEC and Euro type events where gas stops are around every turn....just thinking out loud.....

I think your right Rick. I have the 10.5 L on my '12, and I'm afraid to take it out of the frame for fear of not fitting it back in, I kid you not.:eek: Its a squeaky tight fit and if it expands while out you have a problem. I'd rather have the smaller '13 tank. I can see you guys going on long trail rides or desert races but for any enduros you should easily make the gas stops.

Skidad,

As far as the tank size not everyone needs/wants a big bulbous tank. I happen to like a more moderate size tank and good plug/carb access and a slim feel. I think a KTM is ridulous in this regard. My '12 GG has close to three gallons and I always have a lot of fuel left, last two races I didn't even fill it to save weight.

And I ask you is the new 2.7 gallon GG tank big and bulbous? I think not and that's really what I'm looking for a stock close to 3 gallon tank. Nice option to have even if you don't fill it for racing. Bet you like having that option for trail riding or a ride like the Hancock Quarry Run. Yes, it's a pet peeve of mine on allot of these new bikes. Glad GG got it right with the new bigger tank. The Beta just pisses me off really for a new bike.

Oh, just try jetting my 97 250 KTM :mad: Everything comes off but I can get out the plug with a little finesse work without removing anything. Bike has NEVER fouled a plug on me though :)

News flash for ya, '13 GG tank is SMALLER than the '12 due to fit issues and expansion. It is bulbous, but on the INSIDE of the perimeter frame. I had to pull a vacuum on the thing with a hand pump to fit it back and have the hole line up, I'm serious. In fact, if someone with a '13 really needs the little exta fuel I'll trade tanks, because I don't and don't need this hassle. Last race was in sand, so high load situation, just under 2 hrs. I filled the tank at least a half gallon shy of full. I always drain my fuel post race and got over a gal out including reserve. Quarry Run? For years thats been fine on the older GG tanks, never an issue. Head mod really helps. Perhaps the Smartcarb will make big tanks obsolete.

Races arent a problem as they always have alternate gas when loop aproaches 50 mi or more but we go on rides where 3gal tanks barely cut it and were along ways from anything.

News flash for ya, '13 GG tank is SMALLER than the '12 due to fit issues and expansion. It is bulbous, but on the INSIDE of the perimeter frame. I had to pull a vacuum on the thing with a hand pump to fit it back and have the hole line up, I'm serious. In fact, if someone with a '13 really needs the little exta fuel I'll trade tanks, because I don't and don't need this hassle. Last race was in sand, so high load situation, just under 2 hrs. I filled the tank at least a half gallon shy of full. I always drain my fuel post race and got over a gal out including reserve. Quarry Run? For years thats been fine on the older GG tanks, never an issue. Head mod really helps. Perhaps the Smartcarb will make big tanks obsolete.

I've had the expansion happen on three different '12 tanks - I'm starting to think it would be better to leave them full of fuel and minimize the fumes.

So, 2013 goes back to 9.5 litres, just like 2011 etc. I can't understand if the 8l that Beta quotes includes the 1.1l reserve they quote or not.

Better yet for fuel economy is a 300 - my 250s drank way more gas than the trio of 300s I've spent considerable time on, although I hadn't been graced with Jake's jetting wisdom on the smaller bikes.

I wanted to let you all know that today we began taking orders from our dealers for the 2013 Sherco off road line. In the spring they will be finishing up new engines for their 450 and 510 4T models.

Can you can you confirm the seat height on the SHERCO ENDURO 450i Racing.
The site lists 2 seat heights, 920 mm and 35.4 in.

No way its 35.4 inches. Thats way lower than any serious race bike, and about a half inch lower than my wife's '02 GG 250 Pampera. The older GGs are about 2 inches taller than that.

Sherco is no longer building the 450 and 510 shown on the website. There will be a new 450/500+ next spring. We will prolly bring them over in the summer as 2014 models.

Seriously though, what is the mileage range for a 250/300 FI 4 stroke on a 2.2 gallon tank under hard trail riding conditions? 60 miles possibly?

The Honda in my sig gets 30 mpg at full noise on open two track (3rd, 4th, 5th gear). On tight single track (1st, 2nd, 3rd) 35 mpg.

It's hard to believe its 920mm either - that's only 36-1/4".

Not that hard,, The husky TE 449 is listed at 37.5".. thats a tall bike.. the new KTM 450 exc and 350exc 's are listed at 38.19 and are very tall.. so 36.25 is 1.25 less than a tall husky.. and just a hair under 2" from a very tall ktm 450..
The 05 GG 250ec was listed at 940mm-37.0" and the new 2013 is 950.. which is 37.4"

Back