The most dirtbike-friendly place in your country is...

motogroove

I'm not sure what the ultimate answer is for the USA, but I do know that the Sawtooth Mountains in Idaho set a high bar.
Connecticut is not a correct answer.

photo14.jpg

below are images by Tami of the Pampera Torture Test Team:

photo2.jpg

photo10.jpg

California is dirtbike friendly, I hear... but I think Colorado and Utah beat the pants off of that stuff...

Really, variety being the spice of life like it is...
and the grass always being greener on the other side of the fence...
I'm always thinking about picking up camp here.

OTOH, I heard a guy grabbed an 81 inch striped (sea) bass about two miles off my beach - 60 or 70 pounds. Catches off the beach are smaller usually. That's OK. My freezer is small. Striped bass is my favorite. But I digress, as usual.

Where's the best friendly riding in your country?

-Dean
not trying to get political or anything... :p

in australia, i would have to say, anywhere in victoria.
can ride in lots of places, from desert to mountain, all within a couple of hours.
we can rec. register a dirt bike for 70 bucks a year, and you get full medical and income insurance, TAC, included in that,. - there are rules you have to follow about where you can ride, but baciaclly no freeways/main roads, not in town/cities....
but country roads are fine....
we have short summers when it gets dusty, but 8 month of the year its dirtbike heaven.
pretty bloody good. :D

Its not all that different up at the other end of Aus either bar the rec rego, but out full rego is only $220/year and you can ride whereever you want :D Mixed terrain all within a few hours of eachother.. Bloody beautiful mate!

In the UK, nowhere.

10 yrs ago the government shut 98% of our trails, and what's left is not very good and is being shut one trail at a time.

But now I ride illegally, in bits of wood and some military land.

STEALTH is the name of the game now, and night riding.

One of the main reasons I don't update my bike is if I get caught there is a good chance they confiscate your bike..

In the UK, nowhere.

10 yrs ago the government shut 98% of our trails, and what's left is not very good and is being shut one trail at a time.

One of the main reasons I don't update my bike is if I get caught there is a good chance they confiscate your bike..

Sounds like a desperate situation over there.
Reminds me of this profane but humorous rant:

http://greenlanecrew.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=trf&action=display&thread=1343&page=1

yep i'm with todd unfortunatly they decide to close most of the legal areas in the uk on a daily basis, i tried to stay 100 percent legal but now they give me no choice. oh and its an added buzz riding "stealth" ;)

in australia, i would have to say, anywhere in victoria.
can ride in lots of places, from desert to mountain, all within a couple of hours.
we can rec. register a dirt bike for 70 bucks a year, and you get full medical and income insurance, TAC, included in that,. - there are rules you have to follow about where you can ride, but baciaclly no freeways/main roads, not in town/cities....
but country roads are fine....
we have short summers when it gets dusty, but 8 month of the year its dirtbike heaven.
pretty bloody good. :D

:D:D:D

And all the girls have beer flavoured nipples down here too!

The best bike friendly place in Quebec is a place we call Mekinac. Dirtbiking is allowed almost everywhere. One of the best spot for a real hard trail ride.

mekinac2011081.jpg

mekinac2011099.jpg

mekinac2011057.jpg

mekinac2011096.jpg

In major part, if you stay away from big towns you can still enjoy ridding in a 100% legal mode.

i would think wv is the most dirtbike friedly state i've ever ridden. probably the most dirtbike friendly on the east coast aside from maine maybe (i don't know the law there...)

here's the law:

use is banned from paved roads with a CENTER LINE or more than 2 lanes, except to cross and EXCEPT for getting from one trail or field to another when traveling up to 10 miles no faster than 25 mph.

All must be titled.
All riders under 18 must complete a rider safety awareness course.
All riders under 18 shall wear helmets at all times.
No passengers are permitted except if the ATV is designed for a passenger or if the passenger is at least age 18 and the operator is at least 18 and has a driver's license.
shall not be operated from sunset to sunrise without a lighted taillight and headlight.

so, if the road has a center line, you can travel up to 10 miles, no faster than 25mph. - but i've read elsewhere that this is not the law...

if the road has no center line (i would guess 50% + of the roads are rural here, and none have paint on them....) there is no real law, aside from standard rules of the road.

i regularly see atv's and utv's on the roads here...

as for the 10 miles, if you can't find a trail or unpainted road in wv within 10 miles you're doing something wrong. :)

i regularly zip down a 2 lane 55mph painted road to get to other trails. i believe the police are so used to this, that they rarely hassle anyone.

needless to say, afaik we have the highest fatality rate among atv/dirt bike in the us...

Last edited:
needless to say, afaik we have the highest fatality rate among atv/dirt bike i the us...[/QUOTE]

You must be doing something right.
IMO a high fatality rate beats the government trying to save us from ourselves by passing laws.

I think I live in the most rider friendly country. The country is only 17000km2 but about 80% of that is nation land meaning it belongs to the king and falls under chieftaincies. This also means that so long as we do not cause trouble (ride through crops or grave sites) we can ride prety much anywhere we want without ever getting onto blacktop. And the last time an injury dictated that we return on the main road the cops stopped us and asked if we could teach them how to wheelie!!

It is actually embarrassing that I do not ride often enough when it is so easily accessible

Utah, parts of Colo, New Mexico, Arkansas, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, are all pretty friendly with great riding. Can't leave out Baja in Mexico either. I wouldn't say Louisiana is friendly, but we do have 3 areas with a lot of singletrack. Don't act like an idiot and we pretty much ride what we want with no issues. Our location is good though. I'm right in the middle of 3 Enduro circuits, which is nice, and I can be in the mountains of Arkansas in 6 hrs and The Rocky Mtn's in 15hrs. So I'm not complaining.

Utah, parts of Colo, New Mexico, Arkansas, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, are all pretty friendly with great riding. Can't leave out Baja in Mexico either. I wouldn't say Louisiana is friendly, but we do have 3 areas with a lot of singletrack. Don't act like an idiot and we pretty much ride what we want with no issues. Our location is good though. I'm right in the middle of 3 Enduro circuits, which is nice, and I can be in the mountains of Arkansas in 6 hrs and The Rocky Mtn's in 15hrs. So I'm not complaining.

Bandit,
When am i going to see you in Arkansas again? Those rocks miss you.
Will you ride the Land Between the Lakes dual sport? It's in another week.

Give me a call soon.
Jim

n the UK, nowhere.

Ain't so in Devon, 1200 + mostly close packed trails.various terrain, mud/rock/slate, snow on Dartmoor, rivers galore.
I'm a TRF member good bunch of fellas.
Wales close by, Strata Florida / sheep etc.

Biff

Back