The weigh in.. 200/250/300

Jakobi

Super Moderator
OK People! I'm following on from a thread in another forum I frequent where the quoted dry weight of the EC200 comes into discussion. Any chance anyone here with a late model 200 can throw it on the scales?

For testing we've used the ol bathroom scale trick. Weigh the front, then the rear and total them up. Not perfect I know but still alright.

My 2010 EC300 Race (kick only)
Almost a full tank. We'll say 8.5L, but probably closer to 9L. P3 Guard, Force Rad Guards, Dunlop MX31 front, MX51 (120) Rear. Heavy duty tubes. 1L of tranny fluid, and the attachment braket for the Force Bashy.

55kgs up front. 60kgs at the back end. Total 115kgs as above.
Gas Gas Lists dry weight for this model at 102 kg. IMO not too far off.

A friend weighed their 2011 EC300E - just weighed my bike again without fuel but all other fluids and barkbusters and it came in at 108.5 ish (give or take inaccurate scales)

So the 200 is listed as 94kg dry weight and thats would be the biggest selling point IMO. Is it really possible that the differences in engine internals alone, and exhaust would be 8kgs? I think not, but would love to be proved wrong by some figures!

PS. We all know dry weights are a bit off, but more interested in the comparison between models here.

ec300 nambotin 09
full tank, skid plate, zeta hand guards, Trelleborg with studs front, kenda trackmaster 120 with cold ice studs, without kickstand - 108kg
weight obtained by weighing the whole bike at once on large scales

I'm all ears and eyes on this. It sure would be nice to KNOW the real weights.

Last edited:
I weighed my wifes 2010 ec200 and it came in at 116kg , this includes extra thick tubes, handguards , full tank, rear sharkfin , hyde full bashplate etc .

I weighed my wifes 2010 ec200 and it came in at 116kg , this includes extra thick tubes, handguards , full tank, rear sharkfin , hyde full bashplate etc .

What do you think all the parts add up to?? We're looking at around 7KG for the fuel and oil. Still puts you at 109kg. Somehow I think that 94KG listed weight is unachievable. The 102KG for the 300 is about right for a dry bike.

Anyone else with an almost naked 200 to throw on the scales?

"Dry weight", means no oil,no coolant, no fork/shock fluid, no tubes,no brake fluid, no clutch fluid, no fuel.

Published dry weights are just a sum of part weights and not practical. Just weigh your bikes ready to ride, with all your armor and accessories, as you would add to all your bikes. Fuel weight can be calculated and adjusted. I know what mine weighs and will compare the '12 setup the same way for a REAL number. You may not always like what you find but its real and what does it matter anyway?

Published dry weights are just a sum of part weights and not practical. Just weigh your bikes ready to ride, with all your armor and accessories, as you would add to all your bikes. Fuel weight can be calculated and adjusted. I know what mine weighs and will compare the '12 setup the same way for a REAL number. You may not always like what you find but its real and what does it matter anyway?

I agree the published figures are just that. I'm happy with my bike and what it weighs, how it handles, and how the engine delivers its power.

What I want to know is if its possible for the 200 to weigh 8kgs less than the 300, considering all parts are essentially the same. From a buyers point of view seeing 94kgs listed is a real selling point. If faced with 2 bikes that weigh the same, then its starts to get a bit more towards why not get a bigger bike.

No one will convince me the real weight of a 200 is 8kg less than a 250/300. It may feel 8kg lighter but no way it is. There are only small dimmensional differences in the cases(internally) for different bearing sizes, slight trans changes. Same basic castings, same chassis. Put 8kg in your hand and try to visualize where it could come off your 300 in the parts that are 200 specific. My $$ is on that you can't.;)

my 200 feels heavy when pushing it up a ramp....i sold a 2011 250 that felt the same pushing..they have almost the same chassis and parts..IMHO they weigh probably within a pound of each other

once i get back to work,ill be buying another 250..really liked the pull out of the corners,and riding on top of the rocks..you need to let the 200 find its own line in the rocks and keep adjusting..weight doesnt bother me...i thought my cannondale was fine on the MX track and that was truely a pig!!

No one will convince me the real weight of a 200 is 8kg less than a 250/300. It may feel 8kg lighter but no way it is. There are only small dimmensional differences in the cases(internally) for different bearing sizes, slight trans changes. Same basic castings, same chassis. Put 8kg in your hand and try to visualize where it could come off your 300 in the parts that are 200 specific. My $$ is on that you can't.;)

Exactly what I'm saying! Not an issue for you and I who know this, but if I was the person who chose the 200 over the 250/300 thinking it would be 8kgs lighter/under 100kgs I'd be pretty upset. My dealer continually tried to convince me that the 200 was that much lighter when I was considering the 2012.

I would still like to get a ride on one, and I don't particularly see weight as being a bad thing (within reason).

..Just saying

I too was thinking about getting the 200 but now knowing the spec sheet is wrong I would need a ride on one before laying out the cash.

john your 165 husky will be much lighter and probably have the same power,when i got mine it has a different ignition and CDI,and had a 12t front sprocket,its set up a little hotter than a normal 200,it has a big hit and a ton of top end,which isnt normally how i ride

my 200 feels heavy when pushing it up a ramp....i sold a 2011 250 that felt the same pushing..they have almost the same chassis and parts..IMHO they weigh probably within a pound of each other

You may be right but there could easily be more than a pound difference in the rear tire alone. I would dought it is the same as comes stock on the 250 and 300. The crank assembly is another area where a difference of 1-2 pounds could be. A 200 has no counter balancer so that may be a half pound or more. Does the 200 use smaller diameter springs in the suspension? That would be another possible weight savings if they do.

Thanks for the input fury1. I kinda figured the 165 would close the gap so more than likely I'll be getting the 250. With the weights of the 200 and 250 being so closeI don't see any big advantage of the 200. I do wish GG or Husky would make a 200 on a lightweight bike with smooth power.

2011 EC200 Six Days

Added brush guards, Unicross rear tire, blinkers, Speedo/GPS with aluminum housing, tail light and license plate. All fluids full, fuel tank topped all the way full.

I weighed it when I first got home with no adds and it was right at 235/236lbs = 106.6kgs

Weighed today with a bit of mudd and the adds above:

118lbs front, 123lbs rear = 241lbs = 109.3kg

So without a tank full of fuel it would be 100kg neat. Not as bad as I thought it would be.

Good call on the tyres and tubes though. Going something with a big thick carcass and uhd tubes would have to add significant weight too.

Back