Very nearly perfect 2011 XC 300!

Krieg

Went on my fourth ride today on the 2011 XC 300. Tried the CCK needle today but ended up putting the JD kit blue needle back in. The CCK seemed to be a bit lean in the mid. When I raised it a clip, the bottom got blubbery. Also got the Motosportz damper mounted and dialed-in. I've got the bike just the way I want it. Here's the verdict:

Jetting:
175 main
38 pilot
1 3/4 turns on air screw
JD blue needle 3rd clip (GasGas kit)

Suspension:
Back to bone stock. I tried to firm up the front and rear and ended up going back to stock settings on both compression and rebound. I like a softer set up and this is perfect for my 195 lbs. (with gear).

Gearing:
13/50

Damper:
Makes an already great handling bike better, especially at higher speeds.

Now that things are dialed-in the way I want them, my opinion of the bike has only gotten better. It truly is the best handling woods bike I've ever owned. The motor delivers power in a smooth, predictable manner with minimal, arm-jerking "hit". It goes exactly where I want it to like it is connected to my brain. The brakes are some of the best I've ever ridden, although the front has developed an annoying moan.

The only cons I can find:
Front brake moan.
Engine vibration through the pegs. (I'm pretty sure my WR 300 vibrated too but I can't remember feeling it through the pegs as badly)
The seat! I get Monkey Butt on this bike quicker than any other bike I've ever owned. I've tried anti-monkeybutt powder and a variety of different underwear.

Last edited:
On monkey butt. Besides using various types of bonch cream (body glide, chamois butt'r, chafe zone), using cycling shorts helps. I am a stand up rider, so I don't suffer from it unless the course is last man standing, so my final advice is..... Just stand up!

Seriously though, I have the soft seat, and it's nice and plush.

Ya the only time I get Monkey Butt is when ya get a bit tired and sit down to much. Doesn't happen to much on my TXT...LOL

Krieg I wonder if something changed in the carb from the 2010 to the 2011. The CCK is working like a champ in my son's 2010. Anyway glad you have it all set up and it's working for ya. My son has turned his into a MX & woods bike LOL. I'm off to go pick up my new TM250!

Krieg I wonder if something changed in the carb from the 2010 to the 2011. The CCK is working like a champ in my son's 2010. Anyway glad you have it all set up and it's working for ya. My son has turned his into a MX & woods bike LOL. I'm off to go pick up my new TM250!
I think it has more to do with the fact that I got good results initially with the JD needle and I wanted to just drop the CCK in there without doing much other tweaking. If I had started anew with the CCK, I may have gotten better results.

From whom are you buying the TM? Will you provide a ride report? I love that baby blue.

Thanks.

blitz

blitz I picked the TM up from Chris in PA. If allowed I'lll do a ride report but I don't want to take up Kriegs post. Krieg we are running a 42 P on my sons GasGas. I think I did read where the 2011 is updated from the 10's.

they changed from a 38 to 36 mm carb, or at least all the 2011's that came to nz have a 36.

You are very welcome and maybe I'll get a chance to actually ride the TM this week. Let me know if you get the pics; h/j off.

2010 bikes were fitted with Keihin Air Striker (I) carbs, identifiable by the dark grey screw on cap.

Most if not all 2011s come with the Keihin Air Striker II which has two screws retaining an irregularly shaped cap (necessitated by the slide return spring and arm) . If you can weed through the posts here (many don't identify the carb model so its a little bit of an egg hunt) it seems like the AS II is richer in general than the AS I (more efficient fuel pick up perhaps) and so needs slightly leaner jetting.

I don't agree that they have gone to a 36mm carb for 2011. As the previous post stated, they have used a 38mm Air Striker II. It does like to be jetted leaner than the previous models.

probably should of added that here in new zealand the only 2011's we got were the 300 e-starts, Ive pulled out my carb and 1 other out and they are 36mm even tho the spec's do say 38?

2010 bikes were fitted with Keihin Air Striker (I) carbs, identifiable by the dark grey screw on cap.

Most if not all 2011s come with the Keihin Air Striker II which has two screws retaining an irregularly shaped cap (necessitated by the slide return spring and arm) . If you can weed through the posts here (many don't identify the carb model so its a little bit of an egg hunt) it seems like the AS II is richer in general than the AS I (more efficient fuel pick up perhaps) and so needs slightly leaner jetting.

My 2010 EC300 matches this description, it does not have the screw top and the bike is pretty thirsty, maybe i should play with the jetting?

probably should of added that here in new zealand the only 2011's we got were the 300 e-starts, Ive pulled out my carb and 1 other out and they are 36mm even tho the spec's do say 38?

I haven't measured mine. It definately is the ASII model though and does like to be jetted quite lean compared to previous models. Doesnt explain why it still pulls so hard up top with a 175main when the KTMS are running 160/162 mains with their 36mm carb.

I was sure here in new zealand we got the same model 300 e-start as you guys in the usa so would be interesting if one of you could have a measure up of your carb? and wonder if the euro model that they and australia get is the same?

Thats what I've got bru! Euro model in Aus.. Its definately the AS II with the flat metal screw down cap. Also likes to be jetted much leaner than anything I could find in the jetting thread. I just thought it was a freak at the time but a 36mm would make sense somewhat.

Can I ask you what your jetting specs are, just for comparison?

I'm running a 180 main 38 pilot and a red jd needle. I've also just noticed on the carb cap next to the were the cable goes there hex shaped hole that has 36 stamped in the bottom of it.

I'll check that out for sure when my new needles arrive.

One question though, if we're running 36mm carbs like the ktms, granted engines are slightly different, why do they all run 160,162,165 mains, and we're running 175+?

Edit: also had a look at mine. Clearly stamped 38 in the top plate. Most strange!

Last edited:
Back